Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Gift That Keeps on Taking.


The trauma of Truppman just won't quit.  This afternoon and evening, there was a "virtual" presentation and feedback session regarding plans for 6th Avenue.  FDOT was approached by some Commissioners and the Village manager in 2018, and they were asked to add sidewalks and other renovations to this avenue.  I doubt anyone needs me to do the arithmetic that calculates who were the Commissioners and the manager in 2018.  There was only one Commissioner and no manager during that year.  It was all Tracy Truppman.  One Village resident referred indirectly to Tracy, and used the word "rogue."

FDOT got on the case, in whatever is their way of considering renovations, and they have now submitted a proposal.  The proposal is to add sidewalks, create drainage, and add lighting.  The Village can choose to upgrade the lighting, and if that decision was made, the Village would pay the difference.  That difference was estimated to be about $400K.

In the meantime, various Village residents, especially residents who live on 6th Avenue, came up with their own plan.  They want to reduce 6th Avenue from four lanes to two, and add a bike lane.

FDOT made clear that none of this was going to happen.  What they didn't elaborate was that NE 6th Avenue is a state road -- it's SR 915 -- and it extends for 5.6 miles, from 186th St in North Miami Beach to about 88th St in Miami, where it merges with Biscayne Boulevard.  SR 915 is consistently a four lane road, and no one is going to convert it to a two lane road for the half mile in question.

But before I discuss this matter further, it's important to note not only that there are various practical reasons not to make the proposed and imagined changes, but more importantly, this whole scheme was hatched by one person: Tracy Truppman.  Tracy and almost all of her stooges have resigned, the so-called "manager" has been fired, and his replacement has also resigned.  The reason for all of this is that Village residents mutinied against a Commission and management that was grossly autocratic, and completely detached from what anyone in the Village wanted, as evidenced by things like secretly approaching FDOT (no open Commission discussion, and no workshops) to renovate 6th Avenue.  Without the tyranny of Tracy Truppman, which we rejected and overthrew, there is no 6th Avenue renovation scheme.

Probably no one ever had any idea about anything, and at least some people didn't like it.  A group of 6th Avenue Village residents formed, and they almost all loved the idea that the state wasn't offering (reducing from four lanes to two, widening the two remaining lanes, and adding a bike lane).  What became clear was they all bought properties on 6th Avenue, but they don't like living on 6th Avenue.  Too much traffic, too much speeding, too many accidents, not enough lighting,.  So, why did they buy...?   Well, we're not going to answer that question.  I'm reminded, though, of some mischief former Village resident Steve Bernard made several years back.  When some Village residents who lived very near the public works yard complained about their neighbor (the Village's public works facility, and the broken down garbage trucks, and whatever else), Steve dismissed their complaints saying they knew that facility was there when they bought their properties, and there was no reason they should be complaining.  But it wasn't long after that that Steve, who lived directly across the street from the basketball courts at the park, started complaining about the activity at the courts, wanted the baskets removed, and wanted a cul-de-sac built in front of his house, to end traffic (except his own).  And now, the people who bought properties on 6th Avenue want 6th Avenue reconstructed, so it isn't the same kind of street.  They want it to function like our interior streets, even though they didn't buy properties on those interior streets, and they likely paid less per sq ft for the properties they did buy, because they were on a busy street.  Which they now don't want to be a busy street any more.  Like the people who bought properties very close to the public works facility didn't want the public works facility to be like it was, and Steve Bernard bought a property next to the park and basketball court, which he no longer wanted to be the basketball court.  Where were all these insights when decisions were made about which property to buy?

The fact, as the state representatives made clear, is that the state is not going to change the character of SR 915 for the half mile that it runs through BP.  They're not going to reduce the number of lanes, widen those lanes, add crossing relief, narrow or widen the medians (both were suggested this afternoon/evening) or anything that changes the character of that piece of that road, or the experience of driving on it.  Nor should they.  It's a uniform state road for its 5.6 mile existence.  When we lowered the speed limit from 30 to 25 in the Village, that reduction applied to every street, except SR 915.  The limit there is still 30, and the only thing that changes that, which occurs in North Miami, is a school district, which results in a reduction to 15 mph for certain hours on school days.  There's traffic control on SR 915, at whatever points the state thinks it's needed.  They know what the accident pattern is.

There are many people who, when they want to buy a home for themselves, are very deliberate and insistent on not buying a home on a busy street.  And they won't have any trouble explaining why.  They'd rather pay more to be on a quiet street.  Or even more to be on a cul-de-sac.  Or even more than that to live in a gated community.  These are the choices we all make.  And people who decide they made the wrong choice move.

Nancy Davis, a 6th Avenue resident, told a shocking story.  On two occasions, a car has driven onto her property, and on one of those occasions, the car drove into the structure of her house.  From across the street!  And crossed a median!  No sidewalks or bike paths are going to stop that.  All they'll do is provide room for pedestrians and bicyclists who will get killed.

We live in a funky municipality.  It doesn't have all the bells and whistles other municipalities have.  There are almost no sidewalks, and the lighting is bad.  The streets are narrow.  The houses are somewhat close together.  That's why we pay less than the same property would cost in Miami Shores.  We can't remake SR 915.  It is what it is.  We can patrol it, and give out speeding tickets.  And we do.

If you have an opinion on this matter, feel free to call the moderator of today's session.  (He invited contact.)  His name is Rodolfo Roman, and his phone number is 786-519-7160.  He told this to us a few times.  And his e-mail address is roman@iscprgroup.com.  But he's not going to change anything.  It seemed that the flexibility was that if we wanted, for example, better lighting, but no sidewalks, we could have the state spend the money on the better lights, and not spend on sidewalks.  Or, one of the state people said, in response to a question, if we decide we don't want them to do anything, they won't.  I will say that with conditions changing, it does seem like a good idea to improve drainage, which was part of what the state was offering to do.




4 comments:

  1. And we're our own worst enemy. Amidst all our disadvantages, we have one amazing and glaring advantage: we have a profusion of medians. No municipality is median-heavy like we are. These medians are begging for improvement. But we can't be bothered. Our potentially magnificent medians are worth nothing to us. Sure, we'll plant some trees, on condition that someone else gives us some. But it's all a hit-or-miss mess. And we expect the state to change its rules to accommodate those of us who chose to live on our busiest street, with the heaviest and fastest-moving traffic? We think the state should care more about us than we do about ourselves?

    I have always said that when the doctor cares more about the patient's welfare than the patient does, they're both in trouble. The BP case is the same. We don't take care of our things. Several decades of BP Commissions and residents looked the other way while the log cabin was deteriorating. It was a big job finally to renovate it. We ignore the majesty that could be our medians. We don't create adequate Ordinances regarding our swales, and we don't enforce the Ordinances we already have that should require Village residents to park on approved surfaces.

    If we need better enforcement on 6th Avenue, the manager and the police chief should deploy our officers that way. But we're the last ones for whom the state should make special exceptions to do for us what we won't do for ourselves. And they shouldn't anyway. IT'S A STATE ROAD!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Fred, I agree and disagree with you. I actually want to leave 6th avenue as it is and lobby for more patrolling and code enforcement. As you know, I live on 6th and I watch the so-called foot traffic daily. Even FDOT had to admit that there is basically none. I care deeply about my street, my house, and my standard of living here. I am a member of the 6th avenue group that Howard mentioned and I was a little miffed that it was presented as mostly people who want sidewalks. Yes, there are several who want sidewalks, but not the way the FDOT presented them. Who would want 6' of sidewalk in front of their house? Personally I believe that the addition of ANY kind of sidewalk on 6th is a huge mistake because it would change the look and feel of Biscayne Park as a separate and special place.

    I also had a private meeting with FDOT regarding my plantings, which I won't go into because it did not go well. Let's just say the I will NOT go gently into that good night. Even with FDOT.

    We also spoke about the drainage, but I, and a couple of others on the street are not convinced that the proposed drainage will mitigate the run off into our yards. No matter what they say, when they raise the height of the road and add sidewalks, it will drain into our yards more rather than less because our yards will be lower in height. End of story in my opinion.

    Now, as to the matter of buying a house on a busy street. I have spoken to you about this before. I can only speak for myself, but I bought my house a surprisingly long time ago. It was a different era and the Biscayne Park police force was firmly involved in making sure that it was a livable street. Times have changed, I hadn't planned on staying in my house for so many years but it is an amazing historical house on a large plot of land. We love it (when we can ignore the street). I didn't realize that it was a state road when I bought the house, my mistake, but too late for that. I did, however, expect the Village of Biscayne Park to continue to care about the residents and continue to provide services to us.

    I can't even "go there" with the comments about how this came about. I am beyond angry and had a very hard time speaking moderately and respectfully to FDOT even though I know it is not their fault. I have no kind words for anyone who was involved in this shit show. Some of them I have spoken to and some I have not had the pleasure of unleashing my rage.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy (Oh, good, you outed yourself)<

      I'm confused. Last night, you said you agreed "90%" with what Howard and Mike presented, but in your comments now, it sounds like you don't agree with anything they said.

      As for enforcement, I totally agree with you. The Village has been badly off kilter ever since Heidi left (Sharon didn't have a chance to show what she could do about enforcement), and we have had no coherent approach to policing. I hope that if and when we get a proper manager, which might depend on if and when we get a competent Commission, this will change, and it will be reflected in how 6th Avenue is managed.

      It's an interesting point about whether "the Village of Biscayne Park...care[s] about the residents." The Village is all of us, and the decision-makers are the Commission. By and large, "the Village" has always cared about the residents. Some Commissioners cared more about themselves than they did about anyone else, but Commission majorities have cared about the Village and its residents. That all changed dramatically with the Truppman Commission. At that point, the Commission (majority) didn't care one bit about the Village, or its residents. Once most of them (all but Tudor) were gotten rid of, it appeared we would be back on track. But Ginny O'Halpin is not competent to be a Commissioner, and neither is Dan Samaria, now that he's getting help and advice from the wrong person, and Tudor could never care less. So we again/still have a Commission that does not care about the Village or its residents. Please vote in November. It's really, really important.

      I should mention, by the way, that just a little while ago, I got a call from Chester Morris. Chester wanted to tell me what I already knew, which was that it appeared as if it was Harvey Bilt, when he was briefly on the Commission, who approached FDOT on his own initiative to request sidewalks on 6th Avenue. But Harvey was a Tracy supporter, and he wouldn't have done anything, and Tracy wouldn't have let him, without her imprimatur.

      Fred

      Delete
  3. Well Fred, I hear what you are saying and you are partially right about what I said. The group of 6th Avenue residents had a couple of zoom meetings to present this issue and I thought that after living through 2 years of trying to get people to listen to me about this, I felt that it needed input from more than just myself.

    We decided that Howard would be the best speaker and talked about the situation and possible alternatives. The most popular alternative, which consists of going down to two lanes with bike lanes and a sidewalk was the choice that AS A GROUP we thought would be best. I agreed with that because I do believe that as an alternative it is the best.

    Also, it turned out that (in my opinion) about half of the group wanted sidewalks before this ever came up. I say about half. I have been against sidewalks from the beginning and I don't agree with that decision. I was unnerved when Howard presented it as a majority who wanted sidewalks and I felt that he should have mentioned that no one wanted the sidewalks that are presented in the CURRENT iteration of the project. I had not planned on speaking at all because, frankly I am tired and stressed out from this project.

    Also, I have a bit of history that nobody else in this situation has. I worked at a local planning agency, South Florida Regional Planning Council, for more than 30 years before I retired a couple of years ago. I was not a planner, but I have had extensive experience in finalizing projects and going to Charrettes, etc. I am fully aware of how FDOT operates. This is why I have been extremely stressed about this subject.

    I had a "one on one" meeting with FDOT on the previous Monday even though it was me and the group of every FDOT employee who is part of the project. Luckily Chuck Ross asked me if it would be okay for him to attend, so I had a witness and someone there to support me. In my opinion, they used subtle intimidation in order to get me to admit to them that it would be okay to take whatever plantings from my property that they wanted. I DID NOT CAVE. I do not react well to bullying or intimidation.

    The reason I bring this part up is to explain to you why I said that I was in 90% agreement. I agree that the proposed alternative that the group is touting is the best alternative. I, however, think that it is naive to think that FDOT will even consider this alternative. They are not going to okay lessening the lanes on a street that they are trying to move MORE cars through. They even admitted that there are hardly any people walking there. I guess I was so rattled that I didn't express myself clearly.

    I know, from my previous work experience with FDOT, the only way that Biscayne Park wins in this is to just make it go away because they will do whatever they want to do. That is my opinion based on my long career in the planning field.

    I know full well who created this shit show that has been stressing me for two years. I have spoken to him, and not nicely. For someone who back in the day made sure that his street was closed off from the riff raff, he sure has some ______ throwing his neighbors under the proverbial bus.

    ReplyDelete