Friday, July 17, 2020

Dr Hook and the Medicine Show Were Intoxicated. I Was Just Busy.


The Dr Hook and the Medicine Show song was "I Got Stoned, and I Missed It."  For me, it was just long prearranged commitments.

I found out about yesterday's Commission meeting the day before.  I couldn't tune in.  I've heard summaries from two people.  If anyone wants to use this blog to recapitulate the meeting, please feel free.  If you're not already a guest author, let me know, and I'll see that you become one.  Then, you can publish whatever you like.

1 comment:

  1. By the way, in case you're unfamiliar, Dr Hook and the Medicine Show were a magnificent band which would probably be called a novelty band or a garage band. But they were totally engaging. Their two most famous songs were "On the Cover of the Rolling Stone" and "Sylvia's Mother." A number of their songs were written by the quirky and highly talented Shel Silverstein. Silverstein had musical talent, and was a beloved author, but he was not a member of Dr Hook. Dr Hook did Silverstein songs like The Coasters did Lieber and Stoller songs. They just liked the material, and the fit was great. And Ray Sawyer had a great delivery. He wouldn't be anyone's idea of a good singer, but he was very funny, and he was a captivating front man.

    ReplyDelete