Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Give 'Em an Inch...


I hope I have made clear how accessible is this blog.  It's "mine," in the sense that I started it, and blogspot licenses it to me (I'm the administrator), but I have been as open as the system makes possible to anyone who wants to participate in any way.  If you want to comment, feel free.  I don't touch anyone else's comments (although I have the power to delete them).  Anyone who wants to publish a post of his or her own is more than welcome.  I have anyone who wants that access receive from the blog an invitation to be a guest author.  They accept the invitation, and they publish whatever they want.  I don't touch other people's posts, either.  I comment, sure.  You can, too.  But that's it.  And the people who are guest authors have full and unrestricted access to any part of this blog.  They can do what I can do.  And they can do what I wouldn't do.

Two seemingly related things have happened.  One was probably a year or so ago.  I'm not sure when it happened.  There was an old draft I did, probably in 2014, and I never published it.  But I didn't delete it, either.  I just wanted to save it.  Well, it's gone.  It has apparently been deleted.  And not by me.  I have a strong suspicion as to who deleted it (someone with access, and who had strong feelings about that draft), but I never asked, and the person never volunteered.

The second thing happened probably in recent weeks.  Jared Susi, who is a guest author, published two posts in the service of his Commission campaign.  I read them.  I read every post.  I didn't remember finding any technical fault with them.  If I had, I would have told Jared, and encouraged him to fix whatever I thought wasn't right.  Well, someone made some changes, and the grammar they adopted wasn't right.  Two people brought this to Jared's attention.  Because of things that were said to Jared, and by whom, Jared has a suspicion as to who molested his posts.

No one here is allowed, by me, to touch anything anyone else does.  Comment?  Disagree?  Fine.  Edit or corrupt?  Absolutely not.

So I'm removing both of these people from the guest authors list.  I can't have this.  I won't have this done to me, and much more so, I won't have this done to a guest.  This is a public space.  We're all neighbors.  There is an honor system, and I certainly demand we honor each other, even if we disagree.


No comments:

Post a Comment