Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What Could You Expect?

The question raised is a very good one.  In fact, it's an excellent and extremely appropriate one.  Anyone who does not raise this question is not paying attention or thinking clearly.

The question is, if I am outspoken in this blog, and in my limited opportunity to make "public comments" at Commission meetings, what would I be like if I myself were a Commissioner?  Would I be hostile, unrestrained, challenging?  Is it not situational, but rather my nature to confront?

Great question.  I appreciate your asking.

The answers are as follows: I have been a fully-fledged member of the Planning and Zoning Board, the Code Review Committee, and I am now a Trustee of the Biscayne Park Foundation.  In fact, I'm the President of the Foundation, to the extent that offices and titles mean anything.  Each assignment has been for at least two to three years.  I left P&Z, because I thought someone else could do a better job than I could, and I left Code Review to join the Foundation, and because I had nothing else useful to add.  My colleagues have included Gage Hartung, Andrew Olis, Elizabeth Piotrowski-Hornbuckle, Mario Rumiano, Al Childress, Harvey Bilt, Judi Hamelburg, Lily Harper, Sira Ramos, Dan Keys, Kelly Romano, Gary Kuhl, Steve Taylor, Supreme Dorvil, Victor Romano, Joe Chao, Chuck Ross, Marie Smith, and some others whom I can't remember from Code Review at the moment.  If anyone were to ask me the question, I would say I believe I had excellent working relationships with all of them, though we did not and do not necessarily agree about things.  I count many as friends, some as close friends, and I don't think there are any with whom I do not have a good relationship.  If you think I'm overlooking something, I just gave you a list of people you can ask for confirmation.

I have on occasion been openly critical, in writing and during public comment at Commission meetings, of some Commissioners who have resisted or suppressed Steve Bernard and Bryan Cooper for no other reason than that they were Steve and Bryan.  And I have seen this happen.  I understand how easy it is, considering the affront and the offense represented by Steve and Bryan, and Noah Jacobs and Barbara Watts, to resist them simply because they are who they are, but I consider it unfair and not in the best interests of the Village to treat them this way.  And the fact that all of them treat the rest of the Commission, and residents like me, this way does not change my position that they should be heard and their suggestions given genuine consideration.

I have also demonstrated an ability to listen to others, even people with whom I do not necessarily agree, and I can come to new understandings about things.  I am capable of changing my mind, given a reasonable and compelling argument.  I also believe in the democratic process, and I would uphold the will of the majority and our established rules, even if I would personally not prefer them.  I never ask someone to believe me, just because I assert something, or because the person likes or is inclined to trust me.  I encourage people to question and to look for opposing evidence, and I will help them find it.  One of my friends sometimes chides me for always presenting both sides of an issue.  A decision or conclusion needs to respect all considerations, not just one side of a story.

So although I think the question is a reasonable and frankly good one, I do not think there is cause for concern.  If you disagree, please feel free to comment.  (Also, unlike some of the people I tend to criticize, I am open to disagreement.)

No comments:

Post a Comment