Friday, January 7, 2022

Oh, Good. I'm Getting Back My Last $100.

The Foundation had big plans.  The Village had big plans.  We did a huge renovation of the log cabin, and we built an administration building.  Very big stuff.

And then, the Foundation had the idea of selling brick pavers, to be arrayed in the east entrance path to the log cabin, as a fundraiser.  You know what I'm talking about.  You've seen exactly this in many places.  They have loads of them around the Arsht Center, which has special "historic" designation, because the architects preserved a corner of the old Sears Building that was on the site.  It's a great idea.  It provides a better walking surface than some others, and it raises money.  Not to be too indelicate here, but most people would call an idea like this a "no-brainer."  Because it, you know, doesn't really take any brains to come up with a plan like this.  It's obvious.  It's simple.  Or, you could call it a "win-win" scheme.  The Village wins, and the people who buy the brick pavers win.  No one loses.  This is in part because there's nothing to lose.

And then came the catastrophe that was the Commission election at the end of 2016.  The brick paver scheme crashed, and so did most other Village functioning.  We exchanged someone who would likely have been a great manager for a terrible one.  And then, things...deteriorated.  It's hard to imagine they could have gotten worse, but they did.  Not only did we suffer increasing consequences from our shockingly horrible judgment at the voting booth at the end of 2016, but we never corrected our disastrous course.  It's true we temporarily elected Roxy Ross to finish some loser's term, after that person (mercifully) jumped ship, but Roxy was still in a minority.  Later than that, we elected Mac Kennedy, but he's an army of one, so that isn't going anywhere, either.  And we have been entirely unwavering about engaging one useless manager after another.  We have one now.  Look, I made a mistake.  I flinched.  My understanding of things at the time led me to protect Milt Hunter at the expense of Heidi Siegel.  I was wrong.  The only consolation for me, and for Heidi Siegel, is that the Commissioners elected at the end of 2016 would have made up some excuse to replace her anyway.  And the last time we had to hire a manager, I reached out to Heidi.  I apologized for my mistake.  I asked her if she would be willing to apply for the job.  She wouldn't touch us with a 10-foot pole. I don't blame her.

So, back to the pavers.  The plan died.  It has never been revived.  The current (mis)manager, Mario Diaz, has come up with some collection of excuses not to move forward.  I had paid $900 for a group of pavers.  To pressure Mario, as if he could care less, I told him that if he did not move this forward, I was taking my money back.  But since he couldn't care less, he did nothing but ignore the matter, so I took back $800 of the $900.

Now, I'm told that some group of disinterested people who have no agenda, don't want anything, and have no vision or sense of esthetics (including the Parks and Parkways Board), have decided that etched pavers, providing a stable walking surface that is not dead leaves and dirt, and are light-colored and easily visible (which the dark-colored dead leaves and dirt are not), and which would generate a nice piece of income for the Village, are a bad idea, and those people, with Mario Diaz's enthusiastic support, have decided we're not going to have a beautiful and income-generating path.  The whole plan, the whole vision, is dead.  So now, I get back my last $100.

It's very hard for me to find a way to agree with Bryan Cooper and Noah Jacobs, that we're a two-bit pseudomunicipality that doesn't deserve to exist independently, but I've about run out of arguments to counter them.  The good news is that I can buy something with $100 I thought was in my rear view mirror.


7 comments:

  1. Sad, but true. Our local gov't is a homeowners association draped in the American flag parading around as gov't (excluding a few who actually have vision and care). Many of them are old, mean, punitive and unfit for positions of power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H,

      If you and one other good person would run, and won, we would have the two of you and Mac, and we could actually accomplish things around here.

      And as for "old, mean, punitive, and unfit for positions of power," please don't forget hopelessly self-involved, and merely thrilled to be there, which was their one and only ambition. That's been true of every Commissioner elected starting at the end of 2016, except Roxy Ross and Mac Kennedy. It pains me to put Art Gonzalez in that group, since I like him, I campaigned for him (as well as I campaigned for Mac and myself), and I had very high hopes for him, but anyone who watches a meeting can see for themselves. I still keep wishing he would wake up some day, and be the Art Gonzalez he promised us, but even if he did, he and Mac would still be a minority of two. You can be very sure that Ginny O'Halpin, Dan Samaria, and Judi Hamelburg don't want anything, and aren't about anything. And haven't the faintest idea what to do or how to do it.

      Fred

      Delete
  2. Great points. Maybe next cycle. The kids are getting older. You are completely right, once you are playing to keep your seat, you lose most of your effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Fred you sound like a very bitter and lonely person, sorry for that. Im sorry you feel the way you do and its easy taking shots at elected officials which is fine, I have thick skin. You keep mentioning you hope I wake up, well here I am wide awake! Because I have said that I will only serve one term in no way means I do not care or am asleep at the wheel. I know you've run to regain your seat multiple times and have failed in you attempt, obviously there is a reason for that. I think you know by now that if you poke the bear you will get a reaction so here I am, poke away! I have tried to be empathetic towards you but lets be clear you are not someone that this community cares listens to. I have told multiple people and Ill say it again so its clear, I love this community and hope to have a positive impact while Im here and you or no other Monday morning quarterback will have an influence on how I interact with this community or my responsibilities. Look forward to your complicated response which I will be happy to respond to!

    Make sure to correct any grammatical errors.

    Thank you!

    PS Let me know when you reply as I have been avoiding this very negative blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art,

      I've given you far better opportunities than this post to take offense, so it's a bit surprising you awoke over this one.

      I hope I've made clear what has made me bitter about BP. We used to have a unique kind of cache, if not class, and often enough, Commissions (and Commissioners) to uphold it, and we surrendered everything. I live here (as you do). It's my home (as it is yours). I have taken great offense at the disinterest, and glaring self-interest, shown by way too many of the people we have elected, and paid, to guide this Village.

      You make an interesting comment about part of my involvement in the Village and its decision-making: that I have "run to regain [my Commission] seat multiple times." This is not true in the way you think it is. I ran once, and like you, I was content with one very eventful term. I did not intend to run again, but I changed my mind when it began to appear that a bloc of candidates who had no desires or agenda for the Village might have a lot of momentum, and it seemed to me that if I ran, I would offer an option to any Village residents who were as concerned as I was about Truppman, Johnson-Sardella, and Tudor. I skipped the next two elections, but then, I ran a third time, because I thought it was essential to prevent either Tudor or Judi Hamelburg from getting elected. So I wasn't running to "regain [my] seat." I was running to prevent any of them from winning theirs. Do you want to think back over these years to see if I was right?

      As I hope you know, I had great optimism about your candidacy. I campaigned very hard, and I always told Village residents that their best chance for a functional and forward-thinking Village was if they elected Mac, you, and me. Am I disappointed, and I have not seen anything like the "love [for] this community" and the "positive impact" I thought I could expect from you? Absolutely. What gets any team from a loss on a given Sunday to the possibility of a victory the next Sunday is extensive Monday morning quarterbacking. And this kind of scrutiny and self-assessment will have no influence on you? You might as well forfeit.

      You mostly did well enough grammatically. The largest collection of mistakes is in the "I have tried to be empathic..." sentence, and a couple in the next sentence. You want to be more careful about the use of the apostrophe (as in you should use them).

      Fred

      Delete
  4. Enjoy your family time, lets chat when you get back to BP no need to wallow in the mud here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Art,

      See you when I get back.

      It's not mud, and we're not wallowing. We're having a conversation about BP and its government, of which you are currently a part. Although it's true that you content yourself with dismissing me as bitter, lonely, ineffective at winning elections, and content to contribute negativity in this blog, I do not look at this as "wallow[ing] in...mud." I have criticized your tenure so far as a Commissioner, and you don't like being criticized. As you said, you don't even try to learn anything from it.

      I'm not your enemy. I like you. I always have. I'm just talking about something that involves you, and part of what I said is attributable to you. We don't even have to agree. I see things my way, which I go to extensive trouble to make clear and support, and you presumably see things your way, which you sort of don't explain, or defend (assuming that someone like me is dissatisfied). My daughter is wont to say "you do you," and the only exception is that what you do has implications for other people. In my opinion, you ought not to forget that, especially since some of those other people chose you to represent their interests. They're not in a position to represent their own interests. If Commissioner Art Gonzalez doesn't take some initiative, then no one except Commissioner Mac Kennedy will take any initiative. You've been there long enough to recognize that the other three couldn't care less about anything, except being there, and the $2000 or $4000 a year.

      Fred

      PS: It's let's, not lets. Let's requires the apostrophe, because it's a contraction of let us. Lets means allows or permits, and that's not what you meant.

      Delete