Saturday, January 8, 2022

Movies, and the Two Reasons Not to Dislike Brad Pitt.

We talked about it, so I watched it again.  It's hard to know whether to say "Breakfast on Pluto" is magnificent, but crazy, or magnificent because crazy.  But it is most certainly both.  "Breakfast on Pluto" is a movie that couldn't be anything but good, or great, because it's a Neil Jordan movie.  Setting that aside, here's what's extremely intriguing about "Breakfast on Pluto."  The star is Cillian Murphy, on whom BrambleWitch already told us she has or had a crush.  The Wikipedia entry for Murphy says that his role in "Breakfast on Pluto" was as a "trans."  It was not.  He was a transvestite, and seeming homosexual, but he corrected at least one other character who said he was a girl.  He said he was a boy. Murphy was already married at the time of this movie (and he still is, almost 15 years later), and his first child was born the year the movie came out.  He did an unbelievable job of making himself (very highly) effeminate for this role.  And for what it's worth, every other actor in this movie was also spectacular.  As far as I know, Neil Jordan does not make movies which Susie Figgis does not cast, and her casting was perfect.  It always is.  BrambleWitch and Mac Kennedy will both highly recommend this movie, and so will I.

In my opinion, Brad Pitt is almost always an uninteresting stiff as an actor.  I haven't seen all of his movies, because I wouldn't want to, but he's almost always the same uninspired actor who walks through his parts all the time.  His appeal seems to be his looks, sort of like Tom Cruise, but the latter at least has a trademark smile.  Which he flashes until the viewer is sick of looking at it.  But Pitt found himself in two exceptionally good movies, and did a magnificent job with two exceptionally good roles.  One movie was Guy Ritchie's "Snatch," in which Pitt played an Irish gyspy with a special talent for boxing.  "Snatch" is weirdly one of my favorite movies.  It includes a couple of the things I very much dislike in movies -- like violence and a lot of swearing -- but I love it anyway.  And Pitt, I was told or read, worked for scale, even though he was already a big star at the time.  The other movie, which I rewatched recently, was one of the many spectacular Terry Gilliam productions.  Terry Gilliam first came to my attention in the late '60s or early '70s when he was one of the members of Monty Python's Flying Circus (he created very strange cartoons, but rarely acted in skits), and then, he became a movie director.  All of his movies, and his Python contributions, are wild fantasies.  The movie that included Brad Pitt was "12 Monkeys."  Pitt was alternately an out-of-control patient on a psychiatric ward, and the still clearly "not all there" son of Christopher Plummer, who managed a good enough American southern accent (Plummer, not Pitt).  Pitt's acting in both movies ("Snatch" and "12 Monkeys") was excellent.  It raises the question of why he appeared as he did in his other movies.  Were they easy parts that didn't demand anything of him?  Did someone just offer him a lot of money, and he couldn't say no?  Did he portray carefully crafted downplaying?  ("Meet Joe Black" and "The Mexican" are examples.)  The bigger star in "12 Monkeys" was Bruce Willis, who for me, also does not impress.  Watching Willis in a movie is watching Willis, not the character.  In "12 Monkeys," he was trying way too hard.

Between one thing and another, I've wound up with a little too much time on my hands, and this is how I take my breaks.

As always, if you have a DVD player, feel free to borrow.  I just want them back.


4 comments:

  1. Yes, you got me. I love Cillian Murphy, for many reasons. The obvious and superficial one is that I am attracted to pretty boys, and he is pretty. He is also pretty creepy, which I also like. He is also very talented and an actor who seems to pick roles for other reasons than lots of money. I am attracted to all of that.

    Can't go wrong with Neil Jordan. "The Crying Game", "Ondine", "The Butcher Boy", "The Company of Wolves", great director for someone like me because I am interested in Irish History and culture. Well, you can go wrong with Neil Jordan: "Interview With the Vampire", Tom Cruise: really? REALLY? I loved that book and why someone would have cast Tom Cruise is beyond me.

    Now, on the subject of Brad Pitt, he seems like a nice enough guy and someone who cares about being a good actor. Looks wise he does nothing for me and he is a mediocre actor who gets roles in really good movies that maybe would be better served with better actors. Also Brad Pitt did the worst Irish accent I have ever had to sit through in the movie "Patriot Games" which was not a great movie but I loved it anyway. Mickey Rourke before all of the plastic surgery, a pre-famous Liam Neeson, and a bonus introduction to Sean Bean! Romantic IRA Ireland hi-jinks, right up my alley.

    I agree with you about "Twelve Monkeys", good movie despite the casting. If we are talking Terry Gilliam, look no further than "The Fisher King" one of my favorite movies of all time. It is well cast, well acted, and explores (in my opinion) the nature of anxiety and depression which is something that I know a little bit about. Not to mention Jeff Bridges and, yes, Robin Williams. Amazing movie.

    When it comes to Guy Ritchie, I am out. I have no problem with violence (unless it happens to a non-human animal) or profanity. Guy Ritchie ruined Sherlock Holmes (as we talked about previously) and he is a bit of a lowest common denominator director in my opinion.

    So, throw some other movies and directors at me. Do you like foreign films Fred? I love them, particularly Bergman, Vinterberg, Wim Wenders, Werner Herzog, Krzysztof Kieslowski, and the Soviet director Andrei Tarkovsky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He certainly is a pretty boy. Or he was when they made this movie, which came out in '05. I haven't seen him in anything else, so I don't know what he's like when he plays a creepy part.

      I have "The Crying Game" and "Butcher Boy" and "Breakfast on Pluto" (all fabulous), but I haven't seen the others, except Michael Collins (which featured Liam Neeson, as does "Breakfast on Pluto"). I might have seen "The Fisher King" a long time ago, but I don't remember it.

      I don't actually like Tom Cruise in anything.

      I totally agree with you about Brad Pitt, but I do think you should see him in "Snatch" and "12 Monkeys," which you said you've seen.

      Oy, Mickey Rourke and how butchered he is.

      I really only like/love "Snatch" from Ritchie. "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels" did nothing for me, and was an inferior version of "Snatch," with many of the same actors. You and I have already agreed about the Ritchie Sherlock Holmes attempts.

      I like anything, if it's good. I highly recommend "The Eel," which is Japanese, and which I have only on videocassette. Also "Countryman," which is Jamaican, and "Y Tu Mama Tambien," which is Mexican. And I have loads more. Some are foreign, and some are American. Call before you come over, take a look, and borrow what you like.

      Fred

      Delete
  2. Thanks! "The Eel" sound interesting but I don't have a VCR anymore. I might try to find it. I have heard of "Y Tu Mama Tambien" for years and haven't seen it so that is a good recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BrambleWitch,

      I'm sure we're done with this by now, but I forgot to mention that "Y Tu Mama Tambien" uses a very interesting device. It uses a narrator who gives extra information and perspective. Woody Allen did the same thing in "Vicky, Christina, Barcelona." But I think it originated in "Y Tu Mama Tambien."

      I also forgot to mention another high favorite, among many favorites: "Farinelli." Off the charts.

      As I said, come by, and take a look. "Check out" the ones you want to BORROW.

      Fred

      Delete