Thursday, April 5, 2018

I've Decided to Go in a Different Direction


I have lots of stuff.  It's right to say I have too much stuff.  I just get interested, and the next thing I know, I have more stuff.  But it's not entirely haphazard.  I always mean something by it.  At least, I think I do.

A few years ago, I happened to be in Tennessee, and I happened to visit the Lodge factory store.  Lodge makes, in the US, cast iron items, and particularly, they make cast iron kitchen ware.  I was very intrigued, I already had one Lodge skillet, which I think I found a reason to use once or twice, and I decided to get two new frying pans.  I think they're 10 inches and 12 inches, or maybe they're 12 and 14.  Everyone who says anything about cast iron skillets raves about them, and I had every good intention, of course.  I seasoned them properly, probably three times by now.

If it isn't obvious where this discussion is going, the fact is I didn't fall in love with my cast iron skillets, and I don't use them much.  I think I had some fantasy about what cast iron cooking would be (I read too many glowing write-ups), and that's just not what happened.

I have other pots and pans, and for whatever reasons, I'm simply more content with them.  So, I'm giving up my cast iron skillets.  Normally, with something like this that I just don't want any more, I would give them to Goodwill, around the corner on W Dixie.  But there's something about these Lodge cast iron skillets.  I don't really mean this the way it's going to come out, but they just seem too good to give away to Goodwill.  And they're the kinds of items a lot of people would want.

So, if you want them, I'm giving them to you.  Just contact me, and they're yours.  I might even throw in the one I got many years ago.  It's a low skillet, and it has a custom wood base/trivet.  It's super nice.  They all are.

8 comments:

  1. See what I mean? Rosemary Wais got back to me to say she already has FIVE(!) cast iron skillets. She got them from her grandmother. Rosemary is over 40, so you can do the math yourselves. Rosemary "loves" her cast iron skillets. If she didn't already have five, she would have taken mine. But she's leaving them for you.

    Don't overthink this. Consider how much they're costing you, and take a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fred, I will take them! I’m obsessed with my cast iron skillet, I only have 1 that is a Lodge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done, Nicole! Call me before you come by, to make sure I'm home. Or ask me to drop them off at your house.

      Delete
    2. Fred, I don’t have your telephone number. Please email it to me
      Nsusi6027@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Fred, how awesome that you gave them away instead of handing them over to Goodwill. Happy to report that I have more cast iron than does Rosemary!!! I win the cast iron contest. I cook and bake A LOT, and I use cast iron exclusively. Last night, I roasted a chicken in one skillet and made collards in another. Nothing better, nothing remotely close. The folks we bought this place from (Bob and Ellen Silverman) also left their entire collection of cast iron for me because they hate the weight. That included my now-favorite kitchen tool, a cast iron griddle that I use in the oven, under the broiler, on the grill and on the stovetop. If you don't have one, it's a life changer!! (Dan originally wasn't a fan, but now he loves the easy clean-up and oiling them up. I'm the cook and he's our household clean-up crew.) Nicole, if you need pointers, let me know.
    #castironobsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac,

      I was giving them away either way. I'm happier this way.

      What a dilemma. I suppose I have a version of buyer's remorse, since I eventually decided the purchase didn't work out for me. Listening to Rosemary, Nicole, and you, I might wind up with a version of seller's/donor's remorse, if I come to think maybe I should have tried harder.

      But I do have enough stuff, and kitchen stuff, and I'm very delighted to know that someone will be eager to use them. Funny enough, one blog reader wrote to me just after I closed the deal with Nicole, to say she has cast iron, loves it, saw the post too late, and would have loved another piece. Another blog reader-- a friend of mine-- wrote to me after that to say she thinks she remembers my maybe having offered her something in the past, declining it, and now wishes she had accepted. I will tell Nicole who each of these people is, and if she wants to divide the spoils, that's up to her. But she pressed the button first, and it's all hers.

      Fred

      Delete
  4. Sorry ladies, I don’t want to share 😂😂😂 #castironobsessedTOO

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mac, I will need pointers! I also want to see this griddle you have!!

    ReplyDelete