Tuesday, April 3, 2018

"It Would Be Comical, If It Wasn't So Tragic."


That's what one of my friends said, referring to something about tonight's Commission agenda.  My friend was right, and we'll come to that tragedy.  But it wasn't the only one.

After the difficult topic was removed from the agenda, the meeting got under way.  And it was a good thing the difficult topic did get removed.  It was only last month that Will Tudor was bemoaning, sort of, the Commission's failure to accomplish anything, even though it has a rock solid majority, and addressing the difficult topic-- driveways-- might have led to an actual accomplishment.  No one, not even Will, complained when that topic was removed.  Well, Roxy Ross complained, but she doesn't count.  As we soon learned.

You might remember that last month, Roxy intended to introduce a discussion topic, and it was about meeting structure.  The theme Roxy had in mind involved proper decorum among Commissioners, and from the Commission to the non-Commissioner residents of the Park.  You might also remember that Harvey Bilt bizarrely took the liberty to suggest that the Commission not discuss Roxy's issue, and the rest of the stooges sheepishly and foolishly went along with Harvey.  Well, tonight the topic came back.  And there was no more mood to accommodate Roxy's wish for order and respect now than there had been last month.  Bobblehead after bobblehead dutifully concocted non-reasons why not, and one was lamer than the other.  A favorite was that we're a small municipality, so we shouldn't pattern what amounts to a decorum resolution after a larger municipality.  Moronic, but repeated by the kids.

But the beauty here was the contribution of Big Mama Truppman.  Big Mama summarized some of the other claptrap her stooges sputtered out, and she added some perspective.  (No, of course it didn't make any sense, but that's not the point.  The point is it's the twisted nonsense she has to produce somehow to combat Roxy Ross.  And let's remember that Big Mama specializes in complete disrespect for her neighbors and her Commission colleagues.  Does she want a system of interaction among any of them that would require her to act decently to other people?  Right.)  So Big Mama pointed out that if things had to be orderly, we'd have meetings that would last "four or five hours."  And the Commission wouldn't be able to do the business of the neighborhood.  Big Mama appeared to have ignored the facts that 1) our meetings already take four to five hours (tonight's only took two, because the goofballs unloaded the real business), and 2) this Commission doesn't accomplish anything for the Village anyway.  Big Mama, don't you remember it was just last month that your boy Tudor complained about that?  As I said, it was desperately foolish stuff, designed mostly to frustrate anything that was introduced by Roxy Ross, and, just as my friend said, "it would be comical, if it wasn't so tragic."

And then, onto Board memberships.  Most of them were easy, in that there were just fewer applicants than vacancies, so the applicants could simply be elevated to membership without discussion.  One Board was different, though.  There was a curiosity about the Biscayne Park Foundation.  That Board has three members, out of five it's supposed to have, and one has her house up for sale.  So the Board needed two new members right now, and maybe a third before too long.  About two months ago, I applied.  I had been on the Foundation before, I know and like the people on it now, and I needed something useful to do for the Village.  It was a natural.  I might have been appointed when I applied, but the day I applied was a day too late to make it onto the agenda.  The next month, there was a mix-up, having to do with whose decision it was.  Some thought the Commission had to decide, and some thought the Foundation could decide.  Well, it turned out the Commission had to decide, and by the time this became clear, the next Commission meeting had gone by.  So tonight was the night.  Mine was the only application, so it would be automatic, like the other Boards.  Then, last Friday (3/30), Nicole Susi applied.  This could be great for the Foundation.  Nicole is terrific, full of ideas and enthusiasm.  And a super nice person, and fun to work with.  It would be Jorge Marinoni, Marie Smith, Erica Pettis, until she and Walter sell their house, and move to North Carolina, Nicole, and I.  So that was it, as of Friday, March 30.

On Sunday, April 1 (you don't have to say it), four applications are received.  They come from Laura Graves, Judith Gersten, Barbara Watts, and David Goehl.  If you don't know who Laura and Judith are, you're forgiven.  They're nice women, but they keep extremely low profiles, Village-wise.  They attend nothing, they participate in nothing, and they contribute to nothing.  If you're wondering how they even knew there were Foundation openings, and why they suddenly wanted to be part of something (on a Sunday, April Fool's Day), those are very, very good questions.  You probably know Barbara Watts.  She ran for Commission about six or seven years ago, because Steve Bernard insisted on it, and she couldn't find someone else to do it for her, so she wouldn't have to.   She won her seat, and she never once connected to anything that had anything to do with the Village.  Although she was one of the votes in favor of hiring Heidi Siegel as manager.  Mostly, she just complained and criticized. And had weird crusades about other parts of the County.  The other odd thing about Barbara was that just before this past Sunday, April Fool's Day, she was conspicuous for canvassing various blocks, pleading for someone (to replace her?) to apply for the Foundation.  It seems she couldn't find anyone. And David Goehl.  David was a BP Commissioner many years ago, and like many of the prior Commissioners, he went back under ground after his term was up.  He had nothing further to do with the Village, except he still lives here.  And you might ask the same questions about Barbara and David that you might have asked about Laura and Judith: how did they suddenly come to know there were Foundation openings, and why on earth did they apply, on April Fool's Day?

So those were the applicants.  I guess Laura and David figured they'd find out the result later, since they didn't come to the meeting tonight.  (Unless they already knew?)  Judith came, but she didn't stay to find out whether or not she was chosen to be on the Foundation.  And Nicole was there.

And the envelopes, please.  Roxy Ross selected Nicole and me.  All of the other four selected Laura, and three of them also selected David.  Only Will forgot, I mean messed up, I mean independently liked the idea of Barbara.  So it was unanimous for Laura (yeah, OK, it wasn't unanimous, because Rox didn't select Laura, but I already told you, Rox doesn't count), and one short of unanimous for David.

It's a hell of a coincidence, really.  I mean, think about it.  Four Commissioners happen independently to think it would be a great idea to appoint to the Foundation someone who has absolutely no activity in any Village function, and doesn't even attend Village events.  And who somehow only thought of the idea on a Sunday, two days before the meeting. And three of them had the same completely independent idea about a long past Commissioner about whom you might have wondered if he even still lived here any more.

What the Commission managed to do was prevent the seating of two people of proven devotion by substituting two people of proven disinterest.  Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

As my friend said, it would be comical, if it wasn't so tragic.  A Commission now self-identified as accomplishing nothing, based on wanting nothing, padding a Board with members who have no reason to accomplish anything, because they don't want anything, either.  We elected ourselves one hell of a Commission.

As we were leaving, another of my friends said he imagined I would refuse to participate in anything the Foundation does, because I'm not a member of it.  Was he kidding?  Of course I will.  I have great affection for the Village, and for the Foundation.  And I'm not like Big Mama.  I don't take out my personal grudges on the Village.  And not everything has to be about me.  Like it does with Big Mama.



19 comments:

  1. We get the government we deserve, at both the local and national levels. One can only hope that we learn and do better from suffering the consequences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad and disappointed with our commissioners. I serve on P and Z with Jered Susi and know how hard Nicole recently worked to raise hundreds of dollars for the soon to be landscaped median park near the log cabin. Nicole, completely on her own, raised more money than the Foundation contributed to the project....Nicole and Jered have shown, time md again, to be committed and passionate about their efforts to improve the village. I guess it’s more important to Big Mama to settle a score than it is to do the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan,

      There are two separate issues here. The score-- the vendetta-- has to do with me. Clearly, Tracy is more than willing to sacrifice the functioning of the Village in what she thinks is the interest of acting out her rages.

      Refusing to seat Nicole has nothing to do with settling a score. I have no reason to think Tracy has any energy about Nicole. Nicole's biggest negatives are that she is positive and enthusiastic, and she accomplishes things for the Village (so she's very intimidating competition for someone as self-centered as is Tracy). And second, Tracy didn't choose her. So Nicole isn't beholden to Tracy. That doesn't work for Tracy. She needs control, she needs people who do as she says, and she needs people who think they owe her something. That's what I think kept Nicole off the Foundation.

      Fred

      Delete
    2. I strongly believe that Big Mama holds a grudge against anyone who was instrumental in our Vision group that tried to convince the village that it should actually have some structure and goals in place. Sadly, the mayor of our little village has shown herself, time and again, to be an extremely small person. Imagine what it must be like to be that insecure that she is so threatened by smart and accomplished people. You almost have to feel a little sorry for her.

      Delete
    3. And, of course, it goes without saying that the reason you didn’t get on the board is because of Tracy’s fear of you. She seems to be very intimidated by anyone who is accomplished or has shown initiative towards improving the village. I can only assume that this is because she realizes that after a year and a half, her hand-picked gang of half-wit commissioners has accomplished absolutely nothing.

      Delete
    4. Dan,

      I forgot about the visioning group of which Nicole was a part. And I'm not sure it would have occurred to me that simple inclusion in the group would have triggered Tracy's vengeance and destructiveness. But I suspect you might be right. Although I also think the other reasoning I suggested is also valid.

      Tracy has nothing to fear from me. I just live and function here. I just care about the place. So do you. So do lots of BP residents. Tracy could, too. But what she does is her choice. It's possible I make her look bad, by pointing out what she does, and why she does it. And not being like that myself. But I'm not the only person who complains about and criticizes Tracy, and I'm not the only person who's a better citizen than she is. What she does, and how she does it, she does by her own choice. She has nothing to fear from me on account of how she acts. She's no doubt mad at me. I call her on her stuff. And she's a vindictive, disruptive, uncommitted person. So I understand what I will get for crossing her. It's OK with me. The loss by her seating Laura and David was not my loss. It makes my life easier. It was the Foundation's loss, and the Village's loss. Instead of having two new dedicated Foundation members, it is very possible that Tracy has delivered to the Foundation some dead weight. Or maybe not. Maybe they'll both surprise us, and suddenly discover interest they never knew they had in the Park. We'll see. That wasn't true about Tracy's stooges, and she and Will were wrong to imagine anyone would be interested in Will's two new Boards (although several of us told them that). But maybe she'll be right this time.

      Fred

      Delete
  3. Dan & Fred, thank you for your supportive words. Jared and I have only wanted to be helpful. I was disappointed with not being given a seat on the foundation board as I was so excited to be a part of the board but like Fred, I still want to be helpful.
    We just want to help Biscayne Park be as fun and enjoyable as it can be!
    Thanks again.

    -Mrs. Nicole Susi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole,

      You don't have to thank anyone. We thank you.

      Fred

      Delete

  4. Nicole,

    You and Fred deserved to placed on the BP Foundation board and the board will likely suffer now that they have been saddled with the two that were picked. Fred is correct, neither Laura or David have been involved in recent memory, I can't remember them attending a single BP foundation event since inception (about 9 or 10 years ago). Commission meetings, Fuhgeddaboudit!

    The deck was stacked against Fred, and you may have been collateral damage. Apparently, there was a push over the weekend to recruit applicants for the board and these four applicants were the result. All four are supporters of Tracy so it’s not hard to put 2 and 2 together. There are numerous priorities that need to be addressed in the Village instead of playing these childish games manipulating the BP foundation board.
    The good news is that you don't need to be on the voting board to participate if you wish. The other good news is since these two will likely quit attending meetings and they will be replaced at some point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck,

      Tracy is so pathetic and twisted that she doesn't realize it's not I she punished. She saved me from going to meetings. But I'm going to help out anyway. Tracy and the stooges don't understand about helping out.

      She only punished the Foundation and the Village, by seating people who, as I say, have proven themselves not to be interested in any of this. Unless they get some kind of inspiration they never had before, they'll drag the Foundation down for a while, then, they'll quit or get fired.

      Fred

      Delete
  5. Interesting blog post Fred. Interesting because I have actually contributed to the Foundation on numerous occasions. In fact, you personally came to my home and requested donations on behalf of the foundation.(I have records of 4 occasions/years but have not looked farther back in my records yet). I gave you a $ donation as did my husband on each occasions. And Chuck, you were there too and on other occasions taking $ from us for the Art Fund. "No contributions?" You are 100% incorrect! What happened to the money that we gave to you? Did you even give it to the Foundation? Or did someone else get credit for our donations?
    I have made charitable donations to many events and organizations here in this community. I have done it in a quiet and unassuming manner and have not needed recognition for any of it, and certainly not from you. I do it because I care and I want to do it. For the record, I have also served on several boards over the 20 years I've been a homeowner here. Get you facts straight and tell us what you did with our money.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The previous just posted comment is from me; Laura Graves. Fred what did you do with our money that you took from us?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,

      Welcome to the Foundation. If you say that you responded to solicitations, when I came to your door, thanks for your donations. In my years on the Foundation, I don't remember seeing you at any Foundation-sponsored events, and I certainly don't remember seeing you at any Foundation meetings, but if I overlooked you, and you and Jeff were there, my apologies.

      Ah, the door-to-door Foundation and public art solicitations. I remember them "well." Very hard work, and time-consuming. Good for you for keeping records. I imagine that means you donated by check. Who endorsed the check? You shouldn't have any trouble tracking your money. Did you donate only when I came to your house to ask, or did you adopt the pattern of a yearly donation? Since you were as generous as you're now reminding me, I assume it was the latter. Anyway, thanks again, on behalf of the Foundation and the Village.

      It's a task of devotion to be on the Foundation, as you'll soon enough find out. It's not always easy. And supposing you made your donation by check, let me tell you that not everyone does. Many people donate in cash. You'll want to be careful and respectful about that. Many cash donors don't request, or even want, receipts. Once anyone starts accusing others of theft, it becomes a very tricky business. Trust all around is sort of important here.

      Anyway, thanks again for your application for the Foundation. I guess if I came to your house asking for a contribution, that's how you knew there was a Foundation. Good for you for remembering. The Foundation has, unfortunately, been without its full complement of trustees for quite a while. How did you come to know it needed more trustees? And you took the time to submit an application not only on silly old April Fool's Day, but it was also Easter Sunday! I noticed from your application that you've been active with the church. I suppose I might have imagined you had much else, and more important, to do on Easter Sunday than make an 11th hour application for an open seat on the Foundation, something you could have done days, weeks, or months before. But again, it speaks to your dedication. The Foundation will value that in you. (It's enough that you managed to juggle all that on the day you applied, but really, how did you know about the open seats, and the very, very quickly approaching deadline to apply for them?)

      Fred

      Delete
    2. By the way, Laura, I'm sure that even you can recognize the blatant and tragi-comic Sunshine violation in all this. I mean really, welcome to the Foundation, but the whole thing was a sick joke. That doesn't mean you won't decide to be active in ways you never were before, and we all hope you will, but you have to admit it's pretty funny at the same time it demonstrates Tracy's gross contempt for the Village, the way this happened.

      You do get it, right?

      Fred

      Delete
    3. PPS, Laura, for your/the "records," your memory was that you donated to the Foundation when I came around asking. That happened one time only. I feel somewhat confident to say that no one else on the Foundation ever did that. It was my experiment one year. Chuck and I did solicit on your street another time, but that time was for a public art sculpture. It had nothing to do with the Foundation.

      So again, I/we are most grateful for your generosity. There's no way I would have had records of who donated to the Foundation the time I solicited for that. As I said, consult the back of your check for the endorsement. And that would have been one donation. You must have made the other three at some other time in some other setting. I couldn't begin to guess what inspired you, or to what you responded those other three times. As for my visit to you when it was Chuck and I, I'm at a bit of a loss. It was about a sculpture, not about the Foundation, and Chuck and I kept very careful records of anyone who donated (which a very small minority of the Village residents we approached did). Your comment above left me feeling very unappreciative of you and Jeff, and I asked Chuck if I somehow didn't remember generosity from you. He has the same records I do, and he couldn't find evidence of your donation, either. If we both somehow slipped up, I can only offer a very deep apology. But here's the good news about that campaign. The mechanism of the Village's having acquired that sculpture is that Chuck bought it himself, and the purpose of the fund-raising was to compensate him partially. We were hoping to raise enough money that Chuck's ultimate uncompensated personal outlay would be about $500. The sculpture cost $6000. We didn't get as far as we wanted, and Chuck's uncompensated personal outlay turned out to be much more than $500. But we knew that could happen. With the first two Village sculptures, I was the one who purchased them, and I didn't get as reimbursed as I wanted to, either. So you see, as generous as you and Jeff are, you're not the only ones. And some people who donated to the sculptures donated as much as $300 (other than Chuck and me, who donated much more). Most donors were in the $20 neighborhood. But my point is that any donation you made to the sculpture was only ultimately going to go to Chuck anyway, so (and I hate to think about your implication) there is no real concept of diverting any money you intended for that purpose. It went to the only place it could have gone anyway.

      But again, thank you so much for your generosity and availability. We're all hoping you can help keep the Foundation fires burning. It's a great organization, and it will benefit from effective fund-raising, and campaign-planning. I gather you're reassuring all of us that you are, in fact, the right person for this job: experienced, hard-working, enthusiastic, and personally generous. Dynamite. Nicole and I can stay home on Foundation meeting nights, but you can let us know how things are going.

      Fred

      Delete
  7. So....Laura’s first act as a new member of the BP Foundation is to accuse the past president and another member of stealing funds. Clearly, Laura, you’re going to be a fantastic addition to the foundation… And by the way, welcome to Biscayne Park! So glad you finally decided to participate! If you need any help raising funds, I’m sure Nicole Susi will be happy to help. She raised $425 for the foundation today at the lemonade stand that she ran. Sorry you couldn’t make it to that event. Better make sure that Nicole doesn’t pocket the money!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dan,

      This is complicated, but I was unfair to Laura. In fact, I was unfair to a lot of Village residents. It's been a couple of years since Chuck and I raised the money to reimburse him for "The Ballplayer," and I just forgot some things. The most important thing I forgot is how generous our neighbors were. I said most donations were around $20. That was just my memory of it now. Chuck checked his records, and most donors gave more than that. Many were $40 or $50, and they ranged to $75, $100, and $200. There was a $250, and the $300 I mentioned. Chuck and I have raised funds for public art this way three times, and we keep records, but we do not say who gave how much. I think we wouldn't tell anyone, even if they asked. Our neighbors have been generous with the Village (and with us), and we are grateful to them. We understood the risk we took when we agreed to buy something that a Commission approved for us, and we hoped we could get reimbursement enough. If we didn't get where we, personally, wanted to get, that's our problem. But it is no reflection at all on the Village residents (mostly; Heidi Siegel donated, too; so did my daughter) and their commitment and generosity in this effort to improve the "home" we all share.

      What Chuck and I also came to realize is that Laura's husband did, in fact, make a donation to "The Ballplayer." Chuck and I each missed it on the initial review, because we were thinking Graves, and Jeff's last name is not Graves. As I said, it is not our policy to tell anyone how much money anyone else donated, but if you want to ask Laura and Jeff, you can. Suffice it to say that they did, in fact, make a donation. I deeply apologize for having overlooked that.

      Also, almost all donations were made by check. I have no way to know if Laura's husband, Jeff, gave us a check. He could have given us cash. Normally, I would think that if someone made a donation in cash, they wouldn't bother to keep a record of it. (Chuck and I did not provide receipts, and no one asked for one.) Checks are their own receipts, because you get them back, one way or another, you know they were endorsed, and you know by whom. Laura should have no trouble reassuring herself that any donation she made, assuming it was significant enough to bother to write a check (if someone donated, let's say, $10, it is frankly unlikely they would bother to write a check for that), was deposited by the intended recipient. And as I explained, all the money was only going to Chuck anyway. So if he "kept" any of it, that was the full intention. He laid out a lot of money, and he and I worked to get him as close to reimbursed, with his intention of "leaving $500 on the table," as possible. As I also said, we did not reach our reimbursing-Chuck-all-but-$500 goal, so he left a lot more than that on the table.

      The other issue Laura raises is the possibility that she made a separate donation to the Foundation (and isn't confusing the sculpture donation with the Foundation, which is possible, because I represented both), and that that donation somehow did not get where she intended it to go. I will assume she was concerned about it, because the donation would have been in cash. What Laura needs to understand is that very much of the Foundation's raised funds are cash. She will sit at a table at events, and people will give her cash out of their pockets. That will be their donations. They won't request or receive a receipt. Laura wants to be very careful before she makes comments or subtle or indirect accusations that these cash donations are not handled properly. I don't think I ever before heard a suggestion like that, I do not want anyone to accuse Laura of it. I hope she will think of me, think of the Foundation, think of the Village, and realize this was not probably the direction she wanted to pursue.

      Fred

      Delete
    2. One other point about the checks Village residents wrote. If they donated to the Foundation, the check was to the Foundation. If they donated toward a sculpture, Chuck and I had them write the check the Village, and memo "Ballplayer." No check was ever made to me or to Chuck. If Laura is concerned about diversion, it must be that her husband's donation was in cash. But as I say, it's a bad business and a slippery slope to start accusing people like me or Chuck of essentially stealing money. Laura really doesn't want to start down a path like that. It can't go anywhere good, and it could come back to bite her in the future. I wonder if she can imagine accepting a cash donation to the Foundation, and having someone later wonder if she perhaps kept the money for herself. If she can't have and offer complete trust, she's in the wrong place.

      Delete
  8. Im going to dive in here since My hands have gotten dirty counting so much money from fundraising the last 2 weeks.

    I raised $422 in donations from my lemonade/ cookie stand, $322was in cash, there was a $100 check donation.
    I handed all monies over to the parks and parkway board members at the end of the event.

    I raised another $400 prior to the lemonade stand event, majority of those donations were checks, although there was around $150 in cash.
    All monies were delivered the the president of the foundations, home with a spreadsheet detailing the donor, the amount & the form in which it was donated.

    All in all, I raised $822 in less than two weeks. Majority being in cash!

    #CleanHands

    ReplyDelete