Saturday, April 7, 2018

I Just Have to Say Something About Nicole Susi


Nicole and Jared are newish in the Park.  I'm guessing something like three or four years.  Nicole will correct me, if I'm wrong.  They got a funky house that had been left unattended-to for some years, and they've put a lot into it.  I dropped Jared off at home a few nights ago, and the house looks great from the outside.  Then, they had a baby while they lived here.

Despite being relatively newish, and having loads of stuff to take their attention-- the house, the young'un, Jared's work-- they have been conspicuous for their involvement in various aspects of Village functioning.  They seem almost to have fallen in love with Biscayne Park.  They're everywhere, attending everything, participating, contributing, being on Boards.  And they're both so nice and friendly about it.  They're not pushy or domineering or demanding or high maintenance.  They just like their home and neighborhood, and they want to be good citizens. They're better citizens, in some respects, than are some people who have lived here much longer.

The other thing I would say about the Susis, and I can't imagine they would mind, because they aren't shy or embarrassed about it, is that their politics are, I would say, very conservative.  They don't spout partisan rhetoric or anything, but whenever a conversation turns to philosophy of society, matters of government, and related specific issues, they're pretty consistently conservative in their approaches.

On Thursday, Nicole was at my house.  She's never been to my house before.  She was there to receive her two new cast iron skillets.  (She left the other one for Linda Dillon, who picked it up yesterday.)  I told her I'd bring them to her house, but she chose to come to my house instead.  And she came with junior, who was a dramatic object lesson about how childproof my house is not.  He was all over the place, touching everything, and threatening the breakables.  I have to say I was in awe of how composed Nicole was the whole time.  She was alert, attentive, and gentle, in continuous motion, constantly intercepting her son, and often holding the squirming young gentleman, who only wanted to run around exploring Uncle Fred's shiny glass curiosities.  Nicole demonstrated an amazing combination of energy and patience.

Because Nicole has never before been to my house, she could not have expected the disastrous profusion of art.  It's pretty bad in here.  I recently had the inside of a window sheetrocked over, so I would have more wall space, because I got a new and relatively large painting.  It was that painting that led to my being even more impressed with Nicole than I was before.

The painting is five feet tall and four and a half feet wide, and it's a portrait of Barack and Michelle Obama.  I would never say I think Obama was one of our greatest presidents-- I think he was good in some ways, and ineffective in others-- but I bought the painting, because it is a magnificent portrait.  The faces have such attitude, power, and humor.  I also wanted to support the artist.  I told the artist she did the Obamas a favor.  She made them even more than they are.  My inadequately educated impression is that they seem like cool people, but they really "pop" in that portrait.

Well, you don't see that painting, unless you're in the house, and facing the street, as if you were leaving.  (I blocked out a front window to make a wall for that portrait.)  That's probably when Nicole saw it.  She didn't flinch.  She didn't grimace.  She didn't let me know how disappointed she was.  She brought junior over to the painting, to point out the color red (the backdrop of the portrait is an American flag).

Talk about a cool person.  That Nicole Susi...  (And to her similarly very great credit, Linda Dillon didn't flinch, either.  Linda is another story of steadfast dedication to the Park.  And she's been cultivating her commitment here for decades.  Linda is the only person I know who has never, in my experience, missed a Commission meeting.  Never.  And she's like Dale Blanton, another gem, both of whom are soft-spoken, kind, and serious long term members of the Code Compliance Board.  We really do have some very cool neighbors.)





7 comments:

  1. Jared and I bought our first home August 2012. So we’re nearing the 6 year make. Jared was 25 years old and I was 22years old. We bought in Biscayne Park because I grew up right outside of Biscayne Park and as a kid always wished I could live in Biscayne Park. I tell people that Biscayne Park is like time warping back to the 1940’s, where everyone knows everyone, people wave as they drive by, strangers help out etc.
    When I walked into our home for the first time with our realtor, I told Jared this house felt like home and smelled like home. Jared quickly told me what I was smelling was mold. Despite Jared’s pleads, “Nicole, THIS is the house you want? Do you know how much work we’re going to have to do? !” I had to have it. Our basically dead end street, we had met all of the neighbors prior to purchasing, all of whom welcomed us into their home to show us how they’ve updated their homes over the years. I was in love with the block and the house. We immediately began going to commission meetings because we just emptied out both of our saving accounts to buy this house and we wanted to be in the know & involved in decisions that affected our biggest life purchase thus far ( the conservative in us)
    I still love my block, I still love my house and I still love our neighborhood & we’ve always wanted to be helpful.
    So despite getting married, climbing the work ladders, remodeling our home, having a baby, we’ve still made efforts to be involved because we were raised to believe, that’s what you do as a homeowner and as a citizen in a community.

    Mason is my energizer bunny, as you saw, he doesn’t sit still. He is quite the inquisitive handful, but he Keeps me active and there’s never a boring moment, which is pretty cool.
    As id mentioned to you, my grandparents are art fanatics as well. Art from the baseboards to the crown molding so i felt right at home!
    The Obama painting is magnificent portrait, the red glitter (in my mind, it was glittery but I may be mistaken) was so attractive and I knew it would mesmerize Mase as well as the black and white contrasts. Majority of my days are filled with “what will mason like? What will make him smile?” So I’m always looking for cool stuff to show him and hopefully I can teach him from a young age that you don’t have to agree with everyone’s views but you can appreciate beauty when you see it, and not to let political differences isolate neighbors / friends and most of all to mind his manners in someone else’s home. I had to come home and tell Jared that our son was throwing chips down on Fred’s kitchen floor! We will work on that.
    But I must say, it is so cool to read this post & see how someone else views me as a mother interacting with my son. It’s quite moving. I always describe motherhood to my friends, without kids, as trying to keep your baby alive and happy while Your just trying to survive and stay awake til nap time. Moms are so physically occupied and even more so mentally so to hear an observer say I’m patient & gentle with my son, makes me feel wonderful & humbled, as does the entirety of this post !
    I Am so happy Linda was able to scoop up the third skillet! She is a GEM! I haven’t met Dale.
    I’m so excited to cook up something delicious in my new skillets!

    Thank you again! Food pictured in skillets are coming your way shortly !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a fabulous mother. Mason is very lucky, and so is Jared.

      Delete
    2. Fred, thank you for the kind words. Your post describes us spot on. And I am truely grateful and the luckiest man in the world to have Nicole standing next to me.

      Delete
    3. And she's lucky to have you, too. But don't thank me. We thank you. And we count ourselves lucky to have you as neighbors.

      Delete
  2. From Linda Dillon:

    Thanks, Fred, for the kind words and even more so for the cast iron skillet. It is the perfect size and will be well used. I do have to make one correction to your post. I believe I have missed three Commission meetings since moving here in 1978. That in itself probably makes me a certifiable candidate for your couch. In any event, your home is indeed beautiful, especially the inside with the prolific artwork. It was refreshing to see such an eclectic taste. I also have to say that while I may not have flinched at the one portrait, for me it did give new meaning to what E.A. Bucchiarneri said when she wrote that “art is in the eye of the beholder”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,

      You're excused. You're still way more faithful than anyone else in the Village.

      If your reference to Bucchiarneri means you don't think it's a spectacular portrait, no matter what you think of the subjects, I agree with you: you're a candidate for my couch. Or you need just your eyes examined.

      Fred

      PS: I'm glad you like the house. It makes me happy all day, every day. I love being here.

      Delete
  3. It is not qualified and has no background in public office

    ReplyDelete