Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What Can I Say? Thank You.

As you most likely know, we have our new Commission, and I have the profound honor to be part of it.  Roxy Ross was re-elected.  David Coviello was elected and had the most votes this year.  I had the least votes of the winners, so I have the shorter term.  I am very sorry to say that Harvey Bilt, whom I very much like and respect, had only six votes fewer than I did.  That placed him fourth, and he did not get a seat.  I will regret not having Harvey on the Commission with me.  He would have been a great partner.  Because Harvey and I were separated by less than 1% of the votes, there will be a "recount" in the morning, which is an appropriate precaution.  But since the tabulation is by automated vote-counting, there is essentially no chance the count is inaccurate.

A number of people, having learned about the results of the Commission election, have written to me in congratulations.  I am honored, I am flattered, and I am humbled.  I will tell you what I told them.  Please tell me what you think works, what you think doesn't work, and what I, and the Commission, can do for you.  This is your Village, and it's your Commission.  It exists to serve you as a resident of the Park.  This is not, of course, to say that you don't have a responsibility to your neighbors and the Village.  You do.  But as long as you are appropriately respectful of your neighbors and the Village's rules, you should take what you want.

I have heard from a number of people that they would like to be more active and involved in the Village.  There are Boards, and most of them need members.  If this interests you, I would like to know about it.  There are less formal collaborations of neighbors, too, such as the one-time "Civic Club" which some would like to revive.  Of interest?  Let me know.

I won't reiterate the agenda of things I hope we and the Village can accomplish together.  I have spelled them out clearly, specifically, and frequently enough in this blog.  One thing I will say is that I hope you will come to Commission meetings, at least from time to time.  Meetings occur the first Tuesday of every month, except when holidays disrupt the usual flow of activities.  So the January meeting is often on the second Tuesday, as is the July meeting, and the September meeting.  I will promise not to be party to interminable, rambling, and aimless meetings which do little more than waste everyone's time.  Attend these meetings.  Speak up.  Tell the Commission what works for you and what doesn't.  And check out and check up on your Commissioners.

Thank you again for your confidence.  I hope never to disappoint you, although I'm quite sure you and I will disagree about one matter or another.  I hope we can resolve any disagreements we may have, so that we can end discussions confident in each other's dedication to the good of the Village.  If at some point we do not find reconciliation, I apologize in advance.


By the way, I will not, for my Commission term, continue this blog as I have authored it before.  The blog will, however, remain open, and I will contribute non-political items to it.  I might also use it for informational purposes.  As I have always offered, if any of you would like to post something, please contact me, so I can make you a guest author.  Say whatever you like.  It's not only your Village and your Commission: it's your blog.


1 comment:

  1. Harvey will remain a vital component to our Village. It’s just too bad we didn’t have one more position to fill.

    The people have now spoken… Time for Positive Change.

    ReplyDelete