Friday, December 6, 2013

And the Winning Lueza Sculpture Is...

A number of people who read the "Can I Interest You in a Piece of Public Sculpture" post responded by saying which sculpture they liked best.  It wasn't even typically "my first choice is..." but rather "the one I like is..." or "the one I like best is..."  No one even mentioned a second choice.  So a pretty clear statement.  And almost everyone who responded seemed to like the same one.  In fact, of the two that were very similar, all the respondents seemed to prefer the same example.

It wasn't, as it turns out, the one I like best.  It also wasn't the least expensive one.  Nor was it the most expensive one.  (It was, however, the next to least expensive one.)

People liked the shorter version of Lueza's "Tower of Seasons."


This piece is aluminum, and it's 8 feet tall.  Cecilia says the maintenance is very easy: about twice a year, it gets a soap and water wipe-down.  The thing that looks like a metal bucket at the bottom is the base.

We would have to pay $7500 for this sculpture.  If every house in Biscayne Park contributed, it would come to about $6.75 per house.  How would you feel about paying $6.75 to represent your house, then getting each of your neighbors to donate $6.75 for their houses?  If you don't think you could persuade each and every one of them, would you be willing to commit $10, or $15, for your house, then get the big spenders among your neighbors to do the same?  If only a quarter of BP houses contributed, each of us heros would have to pay a whopping $27.

The alternative is that we find a relative few of your neighbors who would commit $100 or hundreds of dollars, again, and the vast majority of us don't have to pay a thing.  But I have to confess, this is getting a little old for some of your neighbors.

Please let me know.  I'm not asking for money right now, just your sense as to how interested you are in this idea and in this particular piece, and whether you would be willing to donate something to pay for it.  If there's enough resolve, I'll tell Cecilia to hang onto it for us, and then I'll ask you to pledge an amount to which I can hold you.  If I get $7500 worth of commitment, I'll take it to the Commission, and if they agree to accept it, I'll tell you to get out your checkbook.  I'll ask you for that $6.75 you promised to contribute.  Or was it $27?


PS: Another confession: it's actually kind of fun to acquire something new and interesting that we get to look at any time we want, and that could cost each of us next to nothing.  It enhances our Village and our experience of living here.  It also results in a sense of pride and accomplishment.  All for $6.75 or so.

1 comment:

  1. We will definitely commit to a donation of $50 or possibly more depending upon need.

    ReplyDelete