Saturday, January 6, 2024

You Missed Your First Chance. You Don't Have to Miss Your Second One.

Last night, I took myself to Coral Gables to hear George Li play piano.  I've heard some spectacular piano playing, but probably none like that.  It seemed clear from the program that Li is from Massachusetts (I didn't go backstage to talk to him), and someone in the know told me he's from Lexington.  He has a Harvard degree in English literature, loves to read, is a photographer, loves soccer, and plays piano like that.  The program said his first professional appearance was when he was 10.  I'm told he's in his 20s now.  I assume he's of Chinese descent, and his playing reminded me of Hiromi Uehara, who is Japanese.  He was also described as what you would call a really nice guy.  (I would say a really nice kid.)

The program was extensive, and of course, he played from memory.  It was Schumann, Ravel, and Stravinsky.  So composers who had nothing to do with each other, although Ravel and Stravinsky had 55 overlapping years, from their birth years to their death years.

But George Li.  Unbelievable.  The descriptions and reviews in the program were provided by Li's agent, and came from various publications, but they were all very similar, and all exactly right.  The "Washington Post," for example, said his performance "left no doubt that he combines staggering technical prowess, a sense of command, and depth of expression."  BINGO, BINGO, BINGO.  All of the reviews were like that, even when they were talking about different aspects of Li's playing.

How the ticket price was $30, and the hall was mostly empty, were entirely mysterious.  Someone sitting near me said that probably too many people were out of town this week.  If you're in town, I'm sorry you weren't there.

The organization that sponsored this performance was rk Cultural Productions.  RK is Rise Kern, and she doesn't look it.  She is said to be one of the biggest promoters anywhere, and she has travelled the world promoting her shows, including those from one of her clients, Yo-Yo Ma.  But she's very unassuming.  She was sitting behind me, and the woman sitting next to me was a friend of hers, and provided some professional dish.

So, I am sorry you missed last night, that I didn't know about until the day before, and that I didn't know anything about George Li, so I could have urged you to go.  What I will urge you to do is go to rk Cultural Productions' next event, which is the Gesualdo Six ("an award-winning British vocal ensemble:" all male, so possibly a countertenor or two), who are performing at the Aventura Arts & Cultural Center.  If you take my advice (I have no idea what the Gesualdo Six are about, and I don't care, having seen and heard George Li last night), you can get tickets through rkculturalproductions.org, or you can call 305-519-4442.  I doubt 519 is Aventura, so if you reach Rise Kern, you can tell her you got the suggestion from me.  Just tell her I'm the bald guy who was sitting in front of her and next to her friend.

If you want to go to the Gesualdo Six, and you want the best seats, they're $40.  If you want lesser seats, they're $30.  Don't ask me.  I don't know how or why Ms Kern charges like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment