Wednesday, August 16, 2023

"Hattie's House!"

"Hattie's House" used to be on 125th St, between NE 9th and 10th Avenues, on the north side of the street, next to Maggie and Tommy's shoe repair place.  I really liked "Hattie's House."  It was funky and quirky, and Hattie sold stuff like crystals and pop psych stuff, and things I wouldn't normally care about.  But Hattie also blended her own fragrances, and some of them were spectacular.  I still have some.  And I have some wall sculptures I got from Hattie.  They're very nice, but I'm not sure I wasn't being supportive more than I wanted more wall art.  If you've been inside my house, you know what I mean.

But the main thing about "Hattie's House" was Hattie.  She was a delightful woman who had a daughter and then got pregnant with another child.  Then, the coronavirus hit -- I think it was then -- and "Hattie's House" closed.  The shoe repair place didn't close, but "Hattie's House" did.  I wondered what became of Hattie, and what she wound up doing with herself.  I don't think she ever told me much about her husband, so I don't know if he could support the family without her shop.

The other day, I happened to be driving on 6th Avenue, and there was "Hattie's House!"  It's now at 12307 NE 6th Avenue.  Parking around there is very difficult, and I couldn't possibly fit one more thing into this house, so I haven't made an effort to go in and say hello.  Maybe one of these days, I will.  I think "Hattie's House" is in the same storefront as that popsicle place that was there for a year or so.

If you like funky and charming stuff, much of which is supposed to reflect things you probably don't believe in, and you want to meet a super nice person, (and you can be bothered to figure out where to park), you should go to "Hattie's House."  Hattie would never in a million years remember me, so you don't have to bother to say I suggested you swing by.

4 comments:

  1. Delightful blog. Hattie's House sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doctor, what are your thoughts on the new village manager from Wisconsin? He was a commissioner/councilman who left Wisconsin to come to work here for $125,000 a year doesn’t make any sense he’s renting a house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Mac;,

      I re-read the title of this post, and the body of it, and I can now clearly see my mistake. The post is completely ambiguous -- essentially a total mystery -- and it's now clear how the "Anonymous" to whom/which you responded quite naturally thought I was talking about the new manager. After all, "Hattie's House" is on 123rd St, which is only two blocks from 121st St, which is the northern border of BP, and BP has a manager, so almost anyone or anything might perfectly reasonably assume this post was really about the new manager.

      My apologies. I'll try to be more specific next time. It's hard to interpret this accurately, I know, but I carelessly intended to talk about a store, its contents, my experience as a patron of it, and the person who owns it. But there's sort of no way a reader wouldn't reasonably ask me what I think about the new manager of BP, and wrongly reference the salary I've, I mean we've, I mean you've, decided to offer. If I'm being open and candid, I'm ashamed of myself.

      As for "Anonymous," I have no thoughts about the new manager, I know nothing at all about him or her, I had nothing to say about the salary offer, and I have no insight or information about where s/he intends to live. But always feel free to ask, especially when I write a post that is clearly about the manager. I am without question the right person to ask.

      Delete