Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Melissa's Looking For You.

You busy this coming Friday (November 18) at 8:00?  If you're not, there's something you might not want to miss at the Koubek Center.  Koubek is an auditorium owned by Miami Dade College, it's at 2705 SW 3rd St, I've been there many times (usually for flamenco shows), and they have something you might love on Friday.

The featured performer is German Lopez, who is listed as a "master" of a five-stringed instrument called the timple.  Melissa (the manager of the Koubek) says this instrument is like the four-stringed Colombian cuatro or the Cuban tres.  And Lopez is joined by "his quintet," and Cuban singer Aymee Nuviola and percussionist Sammy Figueroa.  I think a lot of cognoscenti know about Nuviola, and everyone knows about Figueroa.  I've heard and seen him several times, and he's as off the charts as it gets.  I will take the liberty to assume that he would only join musicians who are spectacular like he is.  Figueroa is also unbelievably friendly and informal, and when you meet him, he makes you feel like you and he are old friends.  He's sort of like Nestor Torres that way.  Lopez is playing selections or all of his newest album: "Alma."

I don't know if it's south Florida (except the Arsht), or the results of the coronavirus pandemic, but even magnificent entertainment is dirt cheap.  In this case, advance purchased tickets are $20 each, and tickets purchased at the door at the time of the concert are $25.

If you want to be good to yourself, and to whoever is/are your friend/s, you can go to koubekcenter@mdc.edu, and get tickets.  I would be the first to admit that it's really annoying that the ticket agent is squadup, and to two $20 tickets, they add a ridiculous "fee" of $5.32 ($45.32 total), but it's still cheap.  And you might be able to make it a little more expensive if Lopez has brought "Alma" to sell (and sign?), so you'll have a permanent souvenir.

I hope I see you there.  Melissa hopes I see you there, too.  (I don't actually know Melissa, but I spoke to her on the phone.  Super nice person.)


1 comment:

  1. I told you. It was even better than I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete