Friday, December 10, 2021

You're Not Going to the Movies Tonight, Are You?

On Wednesday, I saw a "free screening" of the Steven Spielberg remake of 1961's "West Side Story."  Before we go on, let me make two assumptions: 1) you've seen the 1961 "West Side Story," and 2) you've seen remakes of at least some movies.

Tonight is the official opening (the one that's not free) of the remade "West Side Story."  You might know about this.  You might be anticipating this opening.  You might be planning to go, either tonight or some other time.  So, let's talk.

No one in the world will dispute that "West Side Story" is a classic.  It was Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim at perhaps their best.  It was a great movie.  Is it dated?  Sure it is.  It's now 60 years old, and it was not dated at the time.  My guess is that almost all of the performers -- certainly the main characters -- are now dead.  Except for Rita Moreno, who has an important acting role in the remake, and was one of the Executive Producers.  It turns out that setting aside anything else, Rita Moreno has a bit of an axe to grind about the '61 movie: she is in reality Puerto Rican, she played the second leading female part (behind Natalie Wood, who played a Puerto Rican woman and was not Puerto Rican), and Rita Moreno was required to use make-up to darken her skin a bit, to make her more conspicuously Hispanic.  She still views this as racist.

So, let's talk about the remade "West Side Story."  I haven't seen the original since maybe around the time it came out, but as I recall the details, the remake is the same story as the original.  The music is the same, although replayed by current musicians.  And somehow not as prominent.  (If you're asking me if I think someone toned down Leonard Bernstein, yes, that's what I think someone did.  If you're thinking "but this is a musical, and the music was a central point, and no one should tone down the music," I won't disagree with you.)  I didn't detect any changes in the lyrics, but I read somewhere that there were some minor adjustments.  What I noted was the word "fuck" a few times in the remake.  I don't remember that from the original.  I don't mean "hey, Officer Krupke, krup you."  That was preserved.  It was somewhere else.

In my opinion, the remake was what I call overproduced.  There was too much stuff in it.  There were too many people in it.  The dance at the gym was horribly crowded.  Tempos were adjusted, to make them more dramatic.  And those are the least of the problems.

Parts of this movie were in Spanish.  With no subtitles.  I've read Spielberg's explanation of this bizarre decision, and he claims it was his effort to be respectful to Hispanic people.  I don't object to Hispanic people speaking Spanish, or French people speaking French, or Russian people speaking Russian.  But if you're making that into a movie, which you're going to show in the United States, and which some people who don't speak those languages have to pay to see, then it seems to me you have to let them know what's being said.  Spielberg had to decide whom he was willing to disrespect.

I wish I could ask Rita Moreno what was going through her mind.  No, no darkening make-up for her this time.  She played the part of an old Puerto Rican woman whose gringo husband had died, and who now owned by herself the hardware store where Tony worked.  I don't know if the woman who played Rita Moreno's old part -- Anita -- wore darkening make-up, but if she didn't, she didn't need any.  She was the darkest of all of them, except the very few African-Americans.  And the dialogue continued to refer to mainland Americans as "white."  Rita Moreno's whole complaint about racism came crashing violently down.  If she, as an "Executive Producer," had no more influence than that over Spielberg and whomever else, she should have quit.  I was 11 in 1961, and I don't remember having been offended.  I was offended this time.  If the point of Moreno's complaint was to reduce stereotyping, and racist portrayals, I agree with her.  This remake failed badly to do that, even setting aside that that was the whole point of "Romeo and Juliet" and "West Side Story."

The singing was mostly good, or good enough.  The dancing was mixed.  So was the choreography: some was great, and some barely passable.  The acting was variable, with some of it -- Riff and some of the others -- having been excellent, and others of it having been weak.  The guy who played Tony is very good-looking, and he's a nice singer.  But he's a bit of a stiff as an actor.

The costumes were good, and sometimes excellent.  The dresses and frilly skirts on the women were very colorful, with nicely textured fabrics (great effect in the dance moves and some of the other actions), and they looked every bit as sexy as you would have expected them to.

The setting was still '50s NYC, including old cars and contemporary styles.

The bottom line is this: I have no worldly idea what led Spielberg to want to do this remake, and I wish he hadn't.  He added nothing at all, and some of his decisions made things worse.  It is extremely rare that a movie remake is not worse than the original.  'Nuf said?

Now, if you want to watch something very interesting, watch a movie called "Across the Universe."  It's a novel story, and the music is Beatles music.  There are considerable, and very interesting, adjustments made to how the music is performed.  I forgot at the moment if my copy is on videocasette or DVD, but I'll be happy to loan it to you.  Do yourself a favor regarding the "West Side Story" remake, though.


16 comments:

  1. Yikes! My mistake and apologies. All of the main characters (Chita Rivera from Broadway, Rita Morena, of course, from the movie, Richard Beymer, Russ Tamblyn, and George Chakiris) in the '61 movie are still alive! They're in their 80s. I just assumed, and I didn't look them up on Wikipedia before I wrote this review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Movie talk!

    Fred, that's exactly what I thought when I heard the movie was being remade ("why?"), and your comments are what I feared. The original is an imperfect classic and a reflection of the times in which it was made, which weren't as enlightened as we are now.

    If you want to enjoy a musical with a contemporary theme, look and sound, I suggest "Everybody's Talking About Jamie," which is playing on Amazon Prime. Clearly I'm not a well connected gay or I would have known about this movie, which is an adaptation of a hugely popular musical from London's West End that I never heard of. It is a non-cliched story about a gay high schooler in England who wants to be a drag queen, and it's a fun, silly-at-times/serious-at-others, frilly story about letting folks be who they want to be. The production is fabulous and so are the acting and music. (It could stand to lose a musical number or two, IMO.) If you have a teen in your life or you ever were one, you will relate. Best, the lead actor (some unknown British kid) is just wonderful. From the first big opening number, you'll be rooting for Jamie. If politics were removed from movie awards and they gave awards to folks who earned them, that young man would be tops of every list.

    Here's the trailer:

    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/everybodys_talking_about_jamie_2021

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, you're putting me in mind of "Kinky Boots" and "Billy Elliot." Not to mention "My Vie En Rouge," which is not a musical, but which is great. And of course the cult musical "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

      Will check out "Everybody's Talking About Jamie."

      Thanks.

      Delete
    2. PS: There's sort of no such thing as a perfect musical -- they're all a bit tortured, because normal people in normal life do not break into song and dance -- except "The Music Man." That's a perfect musical and a perfect classic. Unless you object to Ronnie Howard's exaggerated spitting when he lisps. OK, that's the imperfection.

      Delete
    3. Mac,

      It's Tuesday today, and on Sunday, I watched "Everybody's Talking About Jamie."

      It is, in its way, an uplifting story, and it reminds very much of "Billy Elliot" and "Ma Vie En Rose." Jamie's friend, Priti, was a delightful character. My complaints are these: between the accents and the sound reproduction, it was hard to understand the dialogue, and I think I missed half of it. Sometimes, my viewing companion picked up things I missed, so maybe part of it was me. Also, it was very forced as a musical. The songs didn't need to be there, there weren't many of them, they weren't very good, and they added nothing to the effect of the story. A few of the actors were terrific, most especially "Loco Chanel," Jamie's parents, Jamie's mother's friend, and the woman who played Priti. The main teacher was good enough. Jamie himself had a pronounced androgynous look, which was the point, but I'm not sure how I feel about his acting. (He actually came across better as Mimi, but we saw extremely little of that.) Either it wasn't very good, or it effectively depicted his "drag queen" soul, and we would have to assume that he just hadn't grown into himself yet, as "Loco Chanel" did. I think some of the singing was dubbed, and none of it was particularly good, except one song sung by Jamie's mother (for some reason, I had a sense that she really did sing that herself, and she's a good singer).

      You said that the original play was also a musical, and I would just say it didn't have to be, and would have been a better production just as a play, without the forced, out of place, and not very good musical parts.

      Fred

      Delete
    4. When we watch British movies/TV (esp. Irish, Scottish and Welsh), we keep the subtitles on ... for the very reason you mention. I agree (and I think I said) it could have had fewer musical numbers, but I think they sold the movie. His mother's big number (yes, she sang it) was great ... but I don't think anything was voiced by other actors. I thought the main actor was fabulous ... particularly in his big opening song. That was a showstopper!

      Delete
    5. For me, it would have been a better drama, without the attempt to make it into a musical. Jamie's opening song had the important effect of dramatizing his feelings and his position. But we didn't need the song to tell us that. The point of a musical is to feature great music and lyrics, not just to tell a story. And I'm still confused as to what I think of his acting. His physical appearance was very unusual and eye-catching, and also helped to establish the theme. Clearly, I've never seen him in anything else, so I don't know how much of what we saw was acting, or how much of it was walking through a part. He just didn't do much for me, apart from making visual an issue.

      Of particular interest is Jaye Davidson, who played Dil in "The Crying Game." Davidson was extremely effective in that movie, but he had never before acted, and he wasn't interested in acting. I'm not sure he ever acted again, or at least not much. He really is a homosexual transvestite -- that's just who he is -- but he didn't like all the attention he got from his remarkable performance in "The Crying Game." Someone spotted him at a party of some sort, and thought he'd be great for the part, which he very much was.

      Delete
  4. What're you talking about, Fred? I sing my way through BP many mornings, and I annoy the fuck out of my husband and dog making up songs about them that I sing while cooking and working and gardening. Maybe I should start singing the commission meetings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac, you illustrated my point. I said "normal people...do not break into song and dance." Do you want me to ask Dan if you're a normal person?

      Yes, you should sing during Commission meetings. Are you afraid that will make them worse than they already are? Maybe you can sing songs you make up about your Commission colleagues. You might as well annoy the fuck out of them, too. Maybe they'll retaliate by actually doing something.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to mention one other thing about the dancing. When I was in college, my then future mother-in-law lovingly included me into the family (I was her daughter's boyfriend) represented by things like giving me Christmas presents. And they were all nice. But she would give me so many Christmas presents each Christmas that it was hard to appreciate them for what they specifically were. (I still have one of them today, 50 years later). The dance at the gym was like that. The dancing and choreography were great. That was a high point for this show. But there were so many people, so densely packed, that the viewer couldn't appreciate the dancing and the moves for what they were. And they were moving fast, too.

    Spielberg really should have left it alone. There was nothing wrong with it, and there was nothing he could do to make "West Side Story" any better than it was in 1961. I think he got carried away with himself. And someone told me he reportedly spent five years working on this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So Roxy and I are watching "Across the Universe", "Everybody's Talking About Jamie" is next up, but wait for it, there's a remake of Across the Universe. Rest assured we are watching the original.
    Is it me, or do the two of the main characters, from Liverpool, look & sound like Paul & John
    I wasn't interested in seeing the WSS remake before I read your blog post, you confirmed my best guesses about the remake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the main character in "Across the Universe" has a Liverpudlian accent. I don't known if he put that on, or if he comes from there.

      A remake? What are these people trying to accomplish?

      Delete
  7. Never heard of "Across," but I'll add it to my list. If anyone watches the new Icelandic movie, "Lamb," please explain what the fuck that was about. So weird but engrossing ... won't even try to explain or ruin it by giving away the big plot line. If you make it to the end, tell me who walks away with her, why and where to? Soooooo bizarro. And while we're talking current movies, someone might also explain "Annette" to me. I used to be able to say I never tripped, but I think someone slipped some LSD into my red wine that night and I imagined the entire thing. I always thought dolls and puppets (and clowns) were creepy, and that movie convinced me I was right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So the John-like guy in the beginning never became a main character, he disappeared after Jude the Paul-like guy from Liverpool arrived in the US.
    The movie is about what Jude experiences in the US set against the backdrop of the anti-Vietnam war movement. He meets Lucy, Prudence, Sadie, Jojo and Max (Maxwell), you get the picture. Imagery and scenes are created from lyrics based on a soundtrack of Beatles tunes.
    Great movie!

    We just started watching the movie about Jamie, so far it seems like it's going to be a terrific movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not speaking of musicals, I just watched a really crazy movie. Most of the actors were Irish, and the sound was not spectacular. So I couldn't understand a lot of it. But it was a Neil Jordan movie, and I love Neil Jordan movies. (It included Stephen Rea, as they all do, and it was casted by Susie Figgis, as they all are.) This one was the craziest yet. It's called "Breakfast on Pluto." It was crazy almost like Terry Gilliam movies, which I also love, are crazy.

    I did watch the trailer for "Everybody's Talking About Jamie," and "Breakfast on Pluto" was somewhat like that.

    Anyway, I also made a mistake in a movie title I gave earlier. It should have been "Ma Vie En Rose." I have that one as a videocasette, and "Breakfast on Pluto" as a DVD. Feel free to borrow.

    ReplyDelete