Sunday, December 26, 2021

Come To Think About It, What Do I Care?

I was supposed to leave here early this morning, to go see my family in Massachusetts.  I was supposed to be there all week.  My Massachusetts family are my daughter, my son-in-law, and my grandchildren.  I'm very hungry for those people.

But I had to cancel my trip, because I got what I thought was a cold on Friday, and it turned out I tested positive for the coronavirus.  Some self-absorbed and rebellious idiot who was most likely not vaccinated was prancing around unmasked, blowing coronaviruses out of his or her mouth.  And because of that antic, I couldn't see my family up north (I've been eagerly awaiting this for months), and I can't interact with anyone else, either.  Because I have what feels to me like a minor cold, but which is accompanied by a positive coronavirus test.

And that's how it's said to be right now, with the omicron variant.  Vaccinated people, like me, who get infected, wind up with something that feels like a normal cold.

Not so, though, for the unvaccinated people.  They can get sick, or very sick.  They can wind up in the hospital, in the ICU, intubated, or they can die.  

And I wouldn't want that.  I wouldn't want to be the cause of someone else's misery.  Or injury.  And certainly not their death.  At least in theory, I wouldn't.

But if I'm being entirely honest with myself, and looking at this clearly, it appears this kind of concern is a one-way street.  Somebody else didn't care what happened to me, or what consequences this created for my life.  They cared only about their twisted selves, and their bizarre and as yet unexplained theory that somehow, public health measures were an unfair imposition on them.  And tragically, the governor in this state enables this kind of distorted thinking.  (I'm still curious to know what they think about the legal requirement that they got vaccinated in order to go to school, and that they get their children vaccinated, at least for the same reason, and that the government requires them and their children to wear seatbelts in the car, and that the government requires them to have automobile liability insurance, and that the government requires them to obey speed limits, and STOP signs and red lights, even if in their judgment, it doesn't look like any other cars are coming, so there's really no reason to stop.)

I still don't want to be around my family now, and I don't want to be around anyone else (people I know and care about, or any normal and decent people) until I convert to a negative test.  But as for the other people, who prance blithely around, unprotected and unprotecting, smugly infecting others, what do I care what happens to them?  They might get infected, and sick, and possibly die?  Because they chose not to get vaccinated?   Apparently, according to their theory, that's not my problem.


And if matters could be made any worse, since I wasn't packing for today, and I had a "cold," I watched two movies yesterday: "Being the Ricardos" and "Don't Look Up."  I didn't like either of them.


3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that Fred, strangely we had the opposite situation. Well, my husband Randy did. After going to one get together where we were told ahead of time each person that would be there (and we already knew their vaccination status) two other people showed up that we didn't know and they were coughing up a storm all night. Apparently they were vaccinated but we were worried. Three days later Randy was coughing and sneezing and very worried, I was sleeping in the other room because of that. Then Randy's boss called from his trip to Colorado and told Randy that he tested positive and tried to blame it on Randy. Randy got his test two days later and was negative, he just has a cold.

    Also, I can't even believe that you watched either of those movies based on the trailers that I have seen. I couldn't get past Nicole Kidman's jacked face and her trying to be Lucy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BrambleWitch, I'm relieved that neither Randy nor you caught this particular bullet. It makes life much easier.

      As for the movies, both came recommended (possibly highly recommended), so I just disagree with, or have different taste in movies than, the people who recommended them. Today, having read this post, one of our neighbors sent me a text message about a few things, including how much he loved "Being the Ricardos."

      Here was my problem with these movies. "Being the Ricardos" was so sad as to be painful to watch. And they almost completely left out how much Vivian Vance and William Frawley genuinely hated each other. The other thing they adjusted was having Lucy believe Desi's preposterous stories for why he was more or less never home. Lucy didn't believe that. They had a very tumultuous marriage, with at least a few separations.

      Regarding "Don't Look Up," I thought it was a ridiculous caricature that was drawn out way too long. It was a story about the end of the earth, because of a huge commet that was coming, and it was described as a comedy. I'm not sure what's funny about a commet wiping out the earth. And then, some of the people seemed to be shown leaving on an airplane (I was wondering where they were going, since there wouldn't be any place to land), and coming back over 22K years later, not aged a day. One of my friends said they were kept cryogenically, but the movie never said that. I thought it was silly and annoying.

      Or maybe I was just in a bad mood, because I had already canceled my trip.

      Fred

      Delete
  2. For what it's worth, this is the letter to the editor I sent to the Miami Herald on Saturday:

    Dear Governor DeSantis,

    I doubt there's a nice way to put this. You're an idiot.

    For most of 2020, I barely went anywhere. And where I did go -- the grocery store, for example -- the stores required patrons to wear masks. Early this year, I got vaccinated. Several months later, I got a booster. I try to be careful about the people who are near me, but I see increasing numbers of people who don't wear masks. It is perhaps anyone's guess as to whether or not they're vaccinated. (Let's see; coronavirus pandemic, delta variant, omicron variant, not wearing a mask? Yeah, probably not vaccinated. No one can force them to be, and they don't feel like it, or feel like wearing a mask, so they become everyone else's problem.)

    My plan for the final week of 2021 was to visit my daughter, son-in-law, and grandchildren in Massachusetts. I was to leave early tomorrow morning. (I'm sure that a smart lad like yourself has detected the past tenses there.) Yesterday, I awoke with a mild sore throat, and cough, and sniffles. Normally, just a cold, and nothing to pay attention to. But my daughter insisted I test myself. Do I have to explain to you why I then canceled my trip?

    Hard as it is to imagine, you are the governor of a state. And you have made it your inexplicable business to see to it that no one is forced to wear masks, or get vaccinated. Frankly, if your agenda was to sicken or kill off all the residents of this state, I don't know what you would do different.

    Thanks. "Leadership" at its absolute worst.

    Fred Jonas MD

    ReplyDelete