Saturday, April 4, 2020

I'm Definitely Not a Fan of Boris Johnson. But...


https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/coronavirus/uks-johnson-is-still-sick-tells-others-to-stay-inside/vi-BB128KkE

If I were to politicize what's going on now, I would say that sane people all deliver the same message: STAY...AT...HOME.  But right wingers are much more concerned with the economy, and they are permissive, or frankly encouraging, of people getting out there to do some business.  Buy something.  Keep that money flowing.

A story today from the Washington Post (I know; it's a left wing rag; but they do tell the truth) said that what they called "moderate social distancing," which they defined as a seven-day isolation for anyone showing symptoms, a 14-day voluntary quarantine for their households, and "significantly" (whatever that means) reduced social contact for those 70 and older, would reduce the overall estimated mortality rate from coronavirus by 1.1M people.  The estimated mortality rate for unchecked behavior is 2.2M (which everything else I've seen suggests is probably a low estimate), and the estimated mortality rate with the Post's recommended "moderate social distancing" is 1.1M.  Those estimates, according to the Post, are for the US.  They are not worldwide estimates.  But the Post's happy conclusion was these 1.1M saved lives would eventually result in an economic increase of $8T.  OK, well I don't know if that's really true.  But they were trying to make a point.  Even people who are totally distracted by money should see the "value" in saving a lot of lives.

So I don't know what to tell ya.  It's a pain.  It's inconvenient.  It's not fun.  (Although someone already suggested there will be a marked baby boom nine months from now.)  It'll make you crazy.  It's massively boring.  And it's the only way to stay safe.  Let who gets it get it.  Let them have whatever experience with it they're going to have.  And wait for the numbers of new cases to drop.  It's a little hard to track that, because it depends on how many people can get tested.  (How do you know if you're a case, maybe an asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic one, if you can't get tested?)  What's easier to track is the numbers of people who get sick enough to get hospitalized, because they get tested there.  And the numbers of people who die.

Watch TV.  Listen to the radio.  Read articles on your homepage all day.  Figure out what's going on around you.  But stay inside.  Ask Boris Johnson.  Ask Chris Cuomo.  Ask Anthony Fauci.  Ask Deborah Birx.  Anyone with any brains, and maybe a certain kind of experience, will tell you the same thing.

If you want to have something loosely related to fun, you can go to youtube.  Search "Stayin' Inside."  You'll find that parody video, and you'll find links to some others on the same topic.  You get it, right?  "Stayin' Inside."  "Stayin' Alive."  BeeGees.  Saturday Night Fever.  Yeah, you get it.  See if you can find enough distraction to make you forget how miserable you are.  And if it makes you feel any better, so am I.  Last Sunday was the first Sunday in many years that I was in town, which I almost always am, and I did not go to my mother's house for breakfast.  She's 93, has had two strokes, is a complete invalid, and gets very little of anything.  These Sunday morning breakfasts, which include getting my daughter and son-in-law, and my two grandchildren (my mother's two great grandchildren) on FaceTime, are a rare happy experience for her.  But I can't take the risk of bringing her something other than my smiling face and her family on FaceTime.  So no meet-ups with my mother.  Not tomorrow, either.  Who knows when?  She'll die of something, and it will be sooner more than later.  But I don't want it be from coronavirus.  I bet you the Marsalis boys wish their father hadn't died of it.





3 comments:

  1. Whoever's bored is more likely just boring. I have more things to do than my hands and brain can possibly handle, including working, reading books, gardening, cleaning, organizing, some binging, too much baking. And I bet the breeders among us will bear the fruits of their labor in 9 months or so! I imagine we'll see a baby boom AND a divorce boom ... some in the same families. I mainly feel bad for folks in shitty marriages. Imagine being shut in with someone you can barely tolerate looking at!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be careful with all the kitchen activities. That leads to running out of things, which leads to a need to go to the grocery store.

      Yes, living alone is very definitely a double-edged sword. That's why "god" created the telephone.

      Delete
  2. They were gaining pretty tight control in China. At least they thought they were. They were on lockdown. One story I saw earlier today is that street vendors started to reappear in Wuhan. But a later story said the virus has now re-exploded, and they're shutting down again. This is going to take some time and dedication on the parts of people like us. STAY...AT...HOME!

    I still see people jogging and walking (not even walking pets) in front of my house. No, you just can't do that.

    ReplyDelete