Saturday, December 7, 2019

I Want to Go On a Bit About Rafael Ciorida


I've already said I don't trust Rafael, and I believe I made clear what my issues are.  At the same time, I like him.  I like him a lot.  I would like to have Rafael-- he says to call him Rafa-- as a friend.

And here's a potentially important consequence of not trusting Rafa.  Mac Kennedy is a guest author on this blog.  So is Ginny O'Halpin.  There are 18 guest authors, apart from me, on this blog.  Guest authors have complete access to the blog.  They can do anything I can do.  They can publish anything they like.  They can also have access to anything that's been published.  They could edit something that was already published, or that's a draft, even if it wasn't theirs.  They could delete a post, or a comment, or a draft, even if it's someone else's.  I have to be able to trust guest authors not to do that.  I wouldn't do it, and no one else is allowed to do it.  I have removed three guest authors, either because they did that, or because I came to suspect they would.  I want Rafa to be a guest author, if for no other reason, then because it would help him in his campaign.  I've told this to Rafa.  But for me to have the blog send him an invitation to be a guest author, I have to trust that he won't make mischief.  One of the three people I have removed as guest authors is Tracy Truppman.  She posted something once.  It was a post in favor of outsourcing sanitation.  But I didn't make her a guest author, because she happened to agree with me about that.  I wouldn't have cared what position she espoused.  I made her a guest author, because I thought then that I could trust her not to mess with anyone else's stuff.  When I decided I could no longer trust her that way-- that I couldn't trust her to be honest and respectful-- I removed her.  If I have to worry that Rafa and Tracy are more in league with each other than either of them is admitting, then I can't trust Rafa.  And I will say again, Tracy is extraordinarily controlling.  She's off the charts controlling.  And if I know that Mac Kennedy can't possible be a Tracy stooge, and I'm sure Ginny O'Halpin couldn't, either, and Tracy didn't put up any of her usuals, and I know she desperately needs one more stooge, then to me, Rafa is it.  Especially if his connection is Krishan Manners, who is very, very firmly under Tracy's thumb, and who will evidently do anything for her.

I don't like it this way.  I don't like not trusting Rafa.  I want to trust him.  But he's not giving me a basis to do it.

Anyway, here's what I really wanted to discuss about, and with, Rafa.  Rafa is a comparative unknown in BP.  And he's doing a very unusual style of campaigning.  I haven't heard of any events for him, and he reportedly won't use yard signs.  He's running for office, and he wants votes from people who don't know him, but he's flying under the radar, and campaigning in a stealthy way.  So the thing that springs to mind for me, conspiracy theorist that Rafa says I am, is that he's getting help that's not visible.  He's getting help from Tracy Truppman, in the form of phone calls or whatever style of leaning on people that Tracy does.  And if recent history is any indicator, then this might be very effective.  Rafa might very well win a just under three year seat or a just under one year seat on the Commission.  So my question is, then what?  And I'm asking specifically.

For example, the thinnest possible majority for a BP Commission-- two out of three remaining Commissioners-- just passed an Ordinance on second reading.  The Ordinance was to spend money the Village really doesn't have to waste on a Code infraction special magistrate.  And not one Village resident who is not one of the two Commissioners who just passed this Ordinance spoke in favor of it.  Everyone who had anything to say, except two Commissioners, was against it.  And it's now an Ordinance, passed into Village law by two Village residents/Commissioners over the objection of everyone else who expressed an opinion.

But the other Commissioner, Dan Samaria, the one who voted against this scheme, says he intends to bring this issue back for reconsideration when there's a full Commission.  Dan asked the skeletal three-person Commission not to consider this matter for second reading, because the Commission was too small to be fairly representative, and we're about to get two new Commissioners in one month from now, but the two majority Commissioners refused to wait.

So my question to you, Rafa, is this.  Supposing you somehow get elected, which, without help from Tracy Truppman, would seem out of the question, and supposing the magistrate Ordinance finds itself immediately back on the agenda.  How would Commissioner Rafael Ciordia vote?  I'm asking.  Rafa, Dan Samaria will put this back on the agenda.  Tracy and Will will vote as they did before.  Dan will vote as he did before.  Either Ginny or Mac will vote some way.  Let's imagine, to make the discussion interesting, that either of them votes to return to a Code Compliance Board only.  How will you vote?  I know you'll remind me that you don't know much about the issues, and you intend to learn, but the issue is now.  You were at the last meeting, where the issue passed on second reading, and I'm not sure you weren't at the meeting before that, when there was first reading.  All of your neighbors who expressed themselves don't approve of this.  How will you vote?

And I'll ask you the same question about the other Ordinance on this past week's agenda.  It was the rules and procedures Ordinance, and it was for first reading.  It was a terrible idea, and not one of your non-Commissioner neighbors liked it.  Dan Samaria didn't like it.  The only two people who liked it were Tracy Truppman and Will Tudor.  So those two people voted to pass it on first reading.  And again, to make it interesting, let's suppose you win a seat, and either Commissioner O'Halpin or Commissioner Kennedy doesn't like this Ordinance.  You're the tie-breaker.  Break the tie.  How will you vote on this one?  (Dan Samaria persuaded his two Commission colleagues to set this for second reading in February.  He's saving it for you.)

Or, let's make the same suppositions, and assume Tracy and Will think Tracy should be the mayor, and Dan and either Ginny or Mac think she shouldn't.  Break that tie.

I hope I'm wrong, but I think Tracy still has juice around here.  I think she's going to get you elected.  And as one of your constituents, I want to know what you're going to do.



12 comments:

  1. We know everyone from 2 different views. Personally and professionally. It is not unusual to like like them personally but not professionally. You like him personally, like to to talk to and have a glass of wine with, but have your doubts as a commissioner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is easy for me Fred. With what I know today mine is a no vote on the magistrate.

    Why? I am alarmed that almost everyone save one person resigned from the code board. I think code is extremely important. If Properly done, it serves as a guide for safety, aesthetics, standards and should enhance the value of our collective community.

    I also firmly believe that code enforcement should not be a revenue stream for the village. That is anathema to what we should be about.

    I think our code board should not only serve to educate the community about what proper standards are, but to educate the code enforcement officer as well. We have very old grandfathered codes that could lead to embarrassment and confusion if modern code policy is applied.

    And there are some residents who simply do not have the means to bring their home up to an aesthetic or quality that others might deem appropriate. If they’ve been here for 50 years and are in their senior years, then we must rally about them and help as a community. These folks should be treated with dignity and we should figure out how to use grants or other means to bring their homes up to safety standards (imagine the damage a leaky roof could do to the property, or unchecked mold to a persons health).

    I envision the code board having a helpful spirit as well as an advisory capacity. Who among us wouldn’t volunteer time to help an elderly neighbor bring their house up to snuff? As our Jewish neighbors would say it’s a mitzvah.

    Best,

    Rafa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rafael - 2nd sentence, 2nd paragraph we can agree on. Other than that here goes.....
    1. Every member of the code board resigned.
    2. Legally code enforcement CANNOT be viewed as a revenue producer. It can, however, within the confines of state statute, assess the kind of fines necessary based on situations and the cost to the village.
    3. The code board is a quasi-judicial board. It is not an advisory board. Not sure where you got that idea. And it is most assuredly not within the parameters of the code board to educate the public. That is the job of the licensed and properly certified code officer. And if the code board has to educate the code officer why would we need him/her? The code board's job is to assess the documentation presented by the code officer against the applicable code(s) and make a decision as to whether or not there has been a violation and if so assess appropriate fine.
    4. There is no such thing as a "grandfathered code". Our codes are enforced based on what is on the books today. Are there some that are in dire need of improvement? Yep! Such as the driveway ordinance that this commission has been working on for 3 years and the construction ordinance they started and quickly dropped. The only "grandfathering" involves those times when a code is changed but those who were legal under the old code can keep what was permitted at that time. Here's an example. I have a corner lot. I have a fence on my property line. Legal and permitted. If that fence is ever damaged 50% or more I must then move it several feet in from the property line per the newest code. Nothing confusing or embarrassing about that.
    5. The people in their senior years struggling and not able to keep up their homes is a story some like - without any specifics of course - to tell but fact is it's a VERY rare occurrence. First of all financial hardships can come at any age. The code board makes every effort to work with those folks. But it's not about what I or anyone else deem appropriate aesthetically. It's about following the villages laws and basic home maintenance that is a responsibility of home ownership.
    I would also ask you to consider that you're view of just how serious our code issues are may be colored by the fact that both your home, and your immediate surroundings, are quite nice. Now that you will be out campaigning please take a good hard look at others whose immediate surrounding areas look far more like some third world countries than the idyllic oasis that we think of as Biscayne Park. Try a long walk through the NE quadrant for starters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’ll send you a few photos of our house when we put a bid on it. It gave the impression of being an abandoned crack house. It was damaged on purpose to force a cash sale (we believe). We have been providing TLC for 7 years straight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Per the VBP website that could be outdated or incorrect:
    Board Members: Dale Blanton,

    Alternate:

    There are currently four (4) board member vacancies and two (2) alternate vacancies on the Code Compliance Board.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is incorrect. Dale was out of town and turned in his resignation later than the others. Certainly should have been corrected by now. An example of the lack of attention to detail we have.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fred - unfortunately this blog, unlike ND, does not allow for editing. I pride myself on knowing the difference between your and you're and I screwed up (first sentence, last paragraph)! I don't want to delete my post and start over so this is my correction!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rafa, thanks. You answered the first of three questions. Feel free to address the other two.

    When you say Code Compliance Board members resigned, do you know why they resigned? It's important.

    Janey, this is a problem. One solution is that posting requires very careful proofreading before you press the "Publish" button. I've had mistakes slip by, too. The other solution, which is really the same thing, is that you craft your comment as an e-mail, as if you're composing one, and do your proofreading there. When you're satisfied, you can cut and paste what you've written into the comment section. But one way or the other, it always comes down to careful proofreading. I'm sorry this is blogspot, which is apparently either inferior to ND or not as user friendly. It's what I found in 2011, when I decided to start a blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not complaining! It's nice being able to comment freely here as opposed to ND. Just wanted to let you know I'm not quite that grammatically challenged! It was just a slip up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose you don't want to know that you wrote villages instead of Village's in your point 5, either. So I won't bring that one up.

      Delete
  10. Ok - I guess I am grammatically challenged! Another oops moment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rafa,

    I re-read your comment, and I see there are some problematic subtleties regarding some of the issues you raise about Code. And for the record, I agree with you 1) that Codes and adhering to them are important, and 2) that people find out about the Codes, and even that we have them, because someone tells them that, or, as you say, educates them.

    I'm inclined to disagree with you that it's the Code Compliance Board that should be the educator in this case. By the time one of our neighbors gets there, the Code is already very clear, as is the theory that our neighbor has violated the Code, and the reason people come to Code Compliance Board is either to say they have been treated unfairly, and disagree that they violated a Code, or to ask for a mercy discount regarding the fine. By the time our neighbors get to Code Compliance, no one is learning anything.

    The education you rightly address comes way before that. Often, it comes from the Code officer, who informs one of our neighbors that there is a Code violation. It is the Code officer's job to educate the residents of any municipality. We have a problem with this dynamic at the present time. The Code officer functions as a soldier commanded by the mayor (technically by the manager, but not under our current conditions), and she either doesn't bother people the mayor is protecting, or she invents reasons to harass people the mayor wants to punish for something. So no part of what you envision is happening.

    We have two problems right now. One is a mayor who is completely unhinged and at war with most of the Village (and whom we need desperately to get rid of), and the other is a manager who either will not or cannot stand up to the mayor. In defense of the manager, it's true that if he stood up to her, and told her she's wrong, she would fire him, and he's protecting his job/status/income, but in my opinion, he should do what's right, even though it would cost him his job. His constituency is the Village, but his boss is the Commission, which now is only the mayor, and he has a dilemma. He has to make a choice. What might in theory make the choice easier for him is to realize that the mayor is overpaying him, but she's using money very little of which is hers. So when he joins the mayor in her war against the Village and its residents, he's actually fighting against the people who pay him. If he thought about that, and if he had adequate decency and ethics, I think he would either challenge the mayor and get fired, or he would quit.

    So, if you get elected, you have two opportunities, neither of which might appeal to you. First, you can demand a review of the manager, acknowledge the faultiness of his choice as to how to negotiate his job, and fire him. Second, you can acknowledge the faultiness of the mayor, and either vote her out of the mayor's seat (that was the third question I asked you, and which you have not answered), or you can press for her removal from the Commission, if the Miami-Dade County Ethics Commission doesn't beat you to it.

    I remember that you said you're dedicated to what's right, and you would have no trouble firing even a friend, if that friend was not doing the right job. If you get elected, I guess we'll all see how reliable was your reassurance about your own ethical approach. As you can imagine, every elected official says that, and all of ours, including Johnson-Sardella, Tudor, Bilt, and Wise, said it. But not everyone is good for his or her oath.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete