Thursday, February 15, 2024

A Case in Point

Two days ago, I was coming home from downtown Miami.  I take I-95 north to 103rd St, come north on 6th Ave, and turn right on 119th St.

As I was approaching the intersection of 6th Avenue and 119th St, I could very clearly see an accident that occurred in the southbound lane of 6th Ave at 119th St.  BP police were there by then, and I couldn't tell if anyone was hurt.  There was obvious damage to two cars, though.

The lackadaisical habit BP police have of being on their shifts is either staying in the Administration Building, two cruisers facing in opposite directions so the officers can yack with each other in Griffing Park, a cruiser facing north in the break in the median at 116th St, or, as was true today, a cruiser sitting in the 119th St median at the intersection with 9th Ave.

The closest any of these come to considering in any way speeding on 6th Ave, which has always been our problem street, is the north-facing cruiser in the median at 116th St.  But the possible problematic driving that might have caused the accident I saw at 119th St already happened, and those two cars were never going to get to 116th St.

This is not "your father's BP."  No one makes a serious attempt to patrol our streets -- certainly not our most problematic one -- and, for what it's worth, as many times as I have raised the issue, the "Don't Even Think About Speeding" signs never re-appeared.  You could argue that's just as well, because apart from the signs, we don't give anyone reason to think we're serious.

As I said, 6th Ave has always been our worst street, in terms of speeding.  Sixth Ave is owned by the state, which has made clear they weren't going to allow us to lower the speed limit (although what difference would it make if we did, since we make no meaningful attempt to enforce whatever limit there is), and they're not going to install yet another traffic light after 125th and 123rd, and before the one at the bridge.

The fact that our police don't seem to care, which is a direct or indirect reflection of the fact that our recent succession of "managers" don't care, has cost an increasing number of drivers their vehicles, their health, and in one case, his life.  (I'm not including the recent road rage incident that was almost assuredly unstoppable by anyone.)

We have a problem.  It's a big problem, and it's increasing.  Anyone who lives on the north part of 6th Ave in the Park will tell you about this problem.  Most directly, our problem is a police chief who's uninterested.  Less directly, it's "managers" who are uninterested.  But ultimately -- the place where the buck stops -- it's Commissions that are uninterested.  They need to get a better manager, and make sure everyone knows which end is up.  This, as I said, would require them to care -- about this! -- and I have no evidence that they do.

They don't care about bad driving on 6th Ave, or enforcement, or accidents, or the medians.  So about what do they care?  "McMansions?"  Not impressive.  I don't care if someone lives in a larger, newer, nicer house than mine.  And I don't care what genre of architecture it is.  But I do care if the streets I and the rest of us have to drive are safe, and I care very much that no one runs into me or anyone else.  We need active patrolling, especially up and down 6th Ave, and we need those signs back.


6 comments:

  1. To your point, signs don’t mean a thing unless there’s enforcement. They should keep a cruiser permanently posted at the north entrance, 121st and 6th ave, in the median.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      If you mean a manned cruiser, I think "the play," as my daughter would say it, is to have that cruiser constantly cruising up and down 6th Ave in the Park. If it's just sitting there, drivers will speed as soon as they pass it. If it's unmanned, and if drivers can detect that it's unmanned, it will do nothing. And even they mistakenly think it's manned, they'll still start speeding as soon as they pass it. If you're the Mike I think you are, you're up near the top of 6th Ave in the Park, but our problem is along all of the several blocks from 121st to the bridge.
      But yes, we agree that the signs are only a reminder of a reality we need to re-establish.
      Fred

      Delete
    2. For years I suggested we get rid of the police department, in that they were just an extension of the Dade County force. When we dial 911 whoever is closest, El Portal, NMPD or BP might show.
      The police dept. is 1/2 of the budget. I've asked numerous times what the cost of just contracting with the county would be and I was always ignored.

      Delete
  2. Fred, the car involved in the accident was my car and my daughter was driving, this is what I posted the same night on NextDoor, "My daughter had a car accident today inside BP, I am a pacific BP resident for 7 years now, when I arrived at the scene of the accident I was treated like a criminal by some arrogant kids (new BP young police officers) which did not even allow me to talk to my daughter and see my car for about 15 minutes, they all jumped to a fast conclusion that it was my daughter's fault without taking into account that the other car was speeding in a 30 miles zone.....I could add also other details but I will stop here and I will personally go complain tomorrow at the BP police station! Not really happy with BP police force!!!"

    I believe speeding was the main reason the accident happened and when I tried to highlight it to the BP officers it looks like they did not care at all! So this is the status of the most dangerous road in BP, there is no action taken to make it safer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giuliano, I'm very sorry to hear that your daughter and your car were victims of an accident, and I very much hope your daughter is OK.

      Yes, of course you should complain. I stand by my conclusion that the police don't care (the Chief doesn't care), because none of the recent managers have cared enough to bother to tell the Chief we need better enforcement (PATROLLING!) on 6th Ave, and I still say the buck stops with the Commissions, which have not told the managers that this is a big problem which we must address. And not to harp (who, me? Harp?!), but addressing this problem means active and continuous patrolling on 6th Ave, and replacing those signs.

      Fred

      Delete