Thursday, September 22, 2022

"They Were Promised Jobs and a Better Life."

This sentence, or variations of it, were used to describe the experiences of "migrants" who were flown, unwittingly, from Florida to Massachusetts.  At the moment, they're suing Ron DeSantis.

I don't know exactly for what they're suing him, but if any other person had been induced, by a lie, to go somewhere he or she didn't want to go, the usual word for such a manipulation would be kidnapping.  "Come into the back of my truck, sonny (or little girl).  Your mom asked me to pick you up, and take you home.  I have some candy for you." Which ends in rape, murder, or being taken into the woods and left there.

But that's not the point.  The point is that the promise -- jobs and a better life -- is what all of us, except the Native Americans and the Africans, are doing here.  What these "migrants" wanted in coming here (which they did legally, and registered themselves properly, according to a report I heard) is what everyone, beginning with the Pilgrims, wanted when they came here.  (If the link works, look at the end of the "The legal action comes..." paragraph.)  https://www.npr.org/2022/09/20/1124160949/migrants-lawsuit-ron-desantis-marthas-vineyard

It's what the Irish, the Germans, the Italians, the Chinese, the Jews, the South and Central Americans, the Russians, the "Arabs" (middle easterners), the Cubans, the Venezuelans, and everyone else who came to this country wanted: a better life, or at least better than the lives they had in whatever was their "old country." And an opportunity to work.

The reflex of some is to portray these "migrants" as having come here to make trouble, or take advantage of benefits of the system.  But it's simply not true.  Ron DeSantis knew it wasn't true.  He offered them what he knew they wanted, which is what his forebears wanted, which is what everyone else (again, except for the Native Americans and the Africans) wanted: jobs and a better life.

And the problem with that is what?  Whatever anyone thinks it is, was it also that problem when the rest of our forebears came here?  To put it another way, who should go back home?  All of us?  Every immigration has been followed by a reaction just like this one.  Do you know that this country limited how many Jews could come here when they were escaping the Nazis?  There was a sizable enough contingent of "real Americans" that didn't want so many of "those" people here.

And all groups of immigrants initially, at least, huddle together, in Chinatowns, Gemantowns, Little Havanas, Little Haitis, and other such groupings.  It's not uncommon for it to take a generation until the products of those immigrations become fluent in English and fully functional in American society.  I once had a job as the Psychiatric Medical Director in a clinic in the North End of downtown Boston, which was, and still is, very Italian.  I took night school classes in Italian, because there were so many immigrants, some of whom had been in eastern Massachusetts for decades, but who had never learned English very well (and sometimes, the people who could translate were busy).  And some of them didn't even live in Boston or the North End any more.  They and their close families had moved to towns not far away, but they still liked frequenting the North End.  Maybe it was because it was where there were other people who could talk to them.  I was actually proud of myself one day, when I was in a grocery store checkout line somewhere else in eastern Massachusetts, and the people in front of me were speaking Italian.  I said something to them in Italian, and they asked me from what part of Italy I came.

Once when I was running for office in BP, I encountered an older woman who was Cuban, and she made some comment about "illegal aliens."  I asked her if she knew why Cubans weren't illegal aliens.  It was because we said so.  They were having trouble with Castro, and we told them that if they could get here, we would welcome them in.  We didn't ask if they could speak English, if they could get jobs, or if they had health problems.  We just opened the doors.  And there is no reason in the world why we can't do that for anyone else who wants a life in this country.  The vast majority of people don't, but some do.  So come on in.

There's no reason to treat immigrants any differently than we treat each other.  We're here, they're here (or want to come here), and it's always for the same reason.  Ask Ron DeSantis.  He knows what immigrants want.  He could have offered them welfare and free medical care, but he knew that's not what they came here to achieve.


PS: There's a movie -- I haven't seen it -- called "A Day Without a Mexican."  As I understand it, it's about what would happen if there were suddenly no Mexicans (in California, I think) to do all the things workers like them do, which no one else wants to do.  One review was as follows: "Such a great idea for a movie, but pretty poorly executed.  I would like to have seen better acting, and more of the extensive impact losing Mexicans (or any immigrants for that matter) would have on our daily life."

Also, several years ago, the state of Alabama suddenly took a hard line on illegal immigrants, as exemplified by migrant agricultural workers (the people Ron DeSantis kidnapped were not illegal immigrants).  There was suddenly no one willing to do the agricultural work, so that industry crashed, and the policy had to be rescinded.


7 comments:

  1. Thanks Fred-I feel exactly the same on this topic…I’m a strange sort of immigrant to this country…adopted from Ireland with a strange name (Finbar) when I was three…and became a naturalized citizen when I was seven-my father wanted me to be old enough to understand a little of the importance of the ceremony…it has always broken my heart a little to hear of the cruel suspicions directed towards immigrants…and I’ve always been astounded by the attitudes of those who’ve been fortunate enough to become citizens for a generation or two turn heir back on the next wave…it does make one wonder if American society and its cult of the individual will ever change? in another generation the whole society will be a majority minority population…what then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, whichever "Anonymous" this is, it's sad and infuriating to see how many people say "I got mine, so I'm not concerned about you." Which is of course rationalized by some phony "I did the right thing, and I got mine the right way, whereas I declare that you want yours the wrong way." That seemed to be what was between the lines of the older Cuban woman, or Ted Cruz, or Marco Rubio, or many others, who feel so self-righteous about their entitlements, but so clear why no one else is entitled as they are. The reverse way to look at it is to consider Niemoller's famous poem.

      By the way, if someone told me to go back home, I wouldn't know to which home to return. My paternal grandfather was born in the Ukraine, and had a distinct accent. My maternal grandmother was born and grew up in Montreal. I think my paternal grandmother was born in NYC, but I'm not sure. I'm not sure where my maternal grandfather was born, and it might have been in this country, or it might have been in one of the eastern European countries. Over time, that's what happens to many or most of us. We always say this country is a mixing pot, and it is. But so are most countries.

      Fred

      Delete
    2. By the way, if you haven't seen the movie "Philomena," you very much should.

      Delete
  2. First of all back then Ukraine was part of the Soviet union so what you’re saying is really you’re a Russian Jewish background I knew it all along Fred Jonas is a Jewish name if you’re so patriotic about your homeland why don’t we make Biscaynpark a sanctuary city and invite all do Ukrainian refugees to your house you got plenty a room you’re only one person but you won’t do it you’re all talk and no action you couldn’t care less what happens to the Ukrainians

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back when, "Anonymous"/Luigi/Louie/Louis/"Hot Dog King?" Did my paternal grandfather leave the Ukraine before or after the Soviet revolution?

      Both my first name and my last name come from my paternal grandfather. His birth name was not Jonas. You're making wild guesses, based on nothing.

      I never said I was patriotic about anything, or that I'm Jewish. Again, you're just making all of this up.

      Can't you find anything better to do than drool on the comment section of this blog? Have you come to realize yet that you either get deleted, ignored, or mocked?

      Fred

      Delete
    2. So for your soul in favor of sanctuary cities let’s make Biscayne Park a sanctuary cities and bring the Ukrainians here since your heritage is Ukrainian when it was part of the Soviet union google it and more than likely you are a Russian Jew you should help the Ukrainians people you said your grandparents were from Ukraine I’m basing my information based on your statements are you forgetting what you’re writing now are you so self medicated you said your grandfather was from Ukraine that had to been before its separated from the Soviet union it’s in the history books and you went to medical school

      Delete
    3. "Anonymous"/Luigi/Louis/Louie/"Hot Dog King," I did not say my grandparents were from the Ukraine. I had four grandparents, as everyone does. One of them was from the Ukraine. The other three were not. Your reading is as bad and unreliable as is your reasoning.

      Likewise, I did not complain about the British royal family. I noted the Queen had died, but I said that the goings-on in the UK do not particularly interest me. The post was about my mother, not about the British royal family.

      I did not at all say I don't like Cubans. I do not claim to speak Italian. It's been a long time since I studied Italian, and I don't use it any more. So I've lost almost all of my proficiency. Yes, please check to see if I'm really a medical doctor. And if your skepticism turns out not to have been well-placed, make your error, and your embarrassment, clear. And possibly learn not to communicate, since you don't know what you're talking about.

      It is true that for some years I lived in a town north of Boston (two of them), but I never said that until just now. I said I worked in a section of Boston known as the North End. It is part of downtown Boston, which I stated clearly.

      I have said very clearly and repeatedly that I like Mac Kennedy and Art Gonzalez, but I disagree with Mac about one thing or another, and I don't think Art is doing a good job as a Commissioner. You are an example of someone who can't walk and chew gum at the same time. You're very primitive, and you think that criticizing one part of something you otherwise like is "talking bad" about it. You also can't read effectively. At least not in English. Although judging by your intellect, as you reveal it, I have doubts as to whether you can read effectively in any language.

      Delete