Tuesday, April 6, 2021

"You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Rolling Stones song, right?  The next line is "But if you try some time, you might find, you get what you need."

No, I couldn't bear tonight's meeting.  Ginny O'Halpin announced at the outset that the meeting would last until 11:00, because two Commissioners would have to leave then.  So Ginny expected the meeting to drag on as long as it could.  I'm sure she was right.  Endless, and no doubt aimless, as always.  The only possible exception was going to be Mac Kennedy's initiative about land usage, which is euphemism for his wish to avoid "McMansions," whatever "McMansions" are.

So, back to the Stones' song.  It's certainly true that you don't always get what you want.  This, of course, assumes you want something.  The current majority of our Commission don't want anything.  As for whether or not you get what you need, according to the Stones, this depends on whether or not you try some time.  Effort from the majority of this Commission also seems to be in short supply.

So this meeting was going to be about lots of empty chatter.  As I said, the only possible reprieve depended on Mac Kennedy.  But nothing Mac accomplishes has any meaning without some support from the coasters.  Not The Coasters.  That was a great novelty doo wop style group that specialized in Lieber and Stoller songs.  I'm talking about Ginny O'Halpin, Dan Samaria, and Judi Hamelburg.  Those are the disinterested coasters who form an inert majority of the BP Commission.

Anyway, my friend Frank knocked on my door, and I spoke to him instead of listening to things that cause brain death.

I wanted something from this meeting, though.  And I had mixed feelings about it.  I applied to be on the Foundation, and the last I knew, I was the only applicant.  But there were two open seats.  So I figured I'd get appointed, and there would still be one open seat.  But nope.  Two energetic and relatively newer BP residents applied after I did.  They were Jill Grucan and Jonathan Groth (the JG twins).  I found this out because Mac called me to talk to me about the Foundation, to tell me that he learned that not only was I a member in the past, but I was the president of it, and to tell me I was his first choice to get back on it.  (Mac was under the impression that the Foundation's best accomplishments occurred when I was the president, but they weren't.  They were when Steve Taylor was the president, and Victor Romano and two other people and I were on it.  That was at the beginning of the Foundation, and we had a great group.)  And I wanted to get back on the Foundation, because I would get a chance to work with Rafael Ciordia, whom I want to know better.  But when Mac then told me about the JG twins, I told him I wanted him to choose them, because they'll be great members, and they might well have other ambitions (which I don't), and just leave me off.  Mac said he'd propose that I be an alternate.  I said OK.  So I lose my chance to work with Rafael, and Jorge Marinoni, but the Foundation gets significantly strengthened.  That's what the Village needs.

Mac reads this blog.  If he wants to add any discussion, to let readers know what else happened, he's more than welcome to do it.

PS: Mario Diaz continues to impress.  I still miss Ana Garcia and Heidi Siegel, and I was very excited about having Sharon Ragoonan as our manager, but Mario is great.


2 comments:

  1. Fred, when I received the comm meeting agenda and saw that we had more applicants than we needed for every board that was up for appointments, I was thrilled ... even more so because each list included residents who have never volunteered before and/or are new to BP. Fresh voices! New perspectives! Parents of young children, a group terribly underrepresented in BP!! That’s been my personal mission since becoming a commissioner 15 months ago, and I’m hoping that extends to the 2022 commission election. I immediately set about interviewing all the applicants (even the long-standing board members), as I take that responsibility/opportunity very seriously. I met some great folks and had some tough choices. (Re-appointing Janey Anderson to Code Compliance then Gage Hartung and Jared Susi to PZ were no brainers based on their track records, but I was also happy to appoint qualified alternates to each board, too. They are our next gen.) For the Foundation, I expected you to be my first choice until our “interview.” (Full disclosure that Fred and I are friends, and you’ll not-often-enough see us power-walking early on weekday mornings and griping loudly like two old men will do, mainly that I have to pee again and how terrible it would look if a commissioner were caught peeing in a median ... but I digress.) When we spoke and you learned that I had two other options for the two Foundation seats, both of which I liked quite a bit, I shouldn’t have been surprised when you said, “Appoint them and get some new blood in this village.” That’s how you roll, wanting the best for BP and not just looking for the spotlight. What a magnanimous gesture. I agreed only when you agreed to serve as an alternate if you weren’t selected as a voting member, which you did, and happened, and to which I’m holding you as a pinky swear. (Alternates participate fully but don’t vote on voting matters unless a voting member is absent from a meeting, which certainly happens.) The other thing you said was that you look forward to working alongside Rafael Ciordia, who you referred to as a “kid.” That made me chuckle, as I think Rafael is at least late 30s. I share your enthusiasm for how Rafael can contribute to BP ... and what the Foundation can produce with a full slate of members. I, for one, will be looking to the Foundation for support on specific projects, starting with elements of the Rec Center master parking plan, which sailed through the commission this week with unanimous and enthusiastic commission support. (Thanks, Rafael, for speaking in support of that!) So, thanks, Fred, for serving the village yet one more time, and cheers to the Foundation and the new first-time members Jonathan Groth and Jill Grucan alongside Jorge Marinoni, Rafael Ciordia, Yesenia González, and Fred Jonas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac,

      I couldn't agree more with your long term plan for the Park: new enthusiasm and energy, and new ideas. I am of course at anyone's disposal, but you can do, and did, a lot better than relying on me.

      As an aside, Chuck sent out a very nice introduction of Jill yesterday. Not only is she a new Foundation member, but she's also the new CrimeWatch chair. And who discovered her? You did!

      Magnificent stuff. You're a treasure to us. And so is Rafa, and so is Jill, and so is Jonathan. This Village will never fully recover from the loss of the Rosses, but you're certainly giving us something to think about.

      Fred

      Delete