Thursday, April 8, 2021

How Dumb Does Dumbing Down Go?

I don't know what Mr Diraimondo's first name is.  He uses Luigi, Louis, and Louie.  I don't know the correct spelling of his last name.  Having learned some Italian years ago, I would have thought Di Raimondo, or at least DiRaimondo.  But he spells it Diraimondo.  I already know he can't read and he can't write, so maybe he can't spell, either.  Even his own name.

Whatever his name is has had a very bad effect on discourse around here.  I'm told he's been thrown off Nextdoor.  I can guess what for, because he's been horribly badly behaved in comments to this blog, and I thought I had an agreement with him that he would leave the blog alone, too.  I agreed not to mention him (that's what he wanted), and he agreed not to make any comments (that's what I wanted).  But he didn't keep his end of the agreement.  Maybe he's not honest, either.

Anyway, I wrote a short post that was sort of about this week's Commission meeting, and I said that Mac Kennedy reads this blog, and he would add or correct, if he was so inclined.  Well, I just got a text message from Mac this morning saying that he would indeed have commented, but he doesn't want the blowback from Mr Diraimondo.  And Mac specified that that blowback would consist of "a never-ending firestorm of inane replies and e-mails," including "five to 10 e-mails to every employee and elected official in the Village as soon as [Mac posts] something."

And I know for a fact that Mac is exactly right.  Not only do the posts I publish stimulate from Mr Diraimondo an uncontrolled succession of comments that usually have nothing at all to do with the topic of the post ("inane," just as Mac said), but I, too, also get private rants and ramblings from Mr Diraimondo, and there is commonly an additional and unexplained extension of the circulation to the kinds of people Mac referenced.

What makes all of this a bit more bizarre than it already is (it couldn't get much more bizarre) is that Mr Diraimondo is at this point more or less the only person who comments to blog posts.  Either everyone else has coincidentally lost interest, or they're all as disgusted, and given up, as is Mac.  And I don't even know Mr Diraimondo.  I remember his name from when I was campaigning last fall, so I know I was at his house, but I don't remember him personally.  I think he lives with one of his daughters, so maybe it was she who answered the door.  And he's not on my new post announcement circulation.  So I don't even know how he knows when there's a new post.  (I never knew how David Hernandez knew there was a new post, either -- and he knew instantly -- so maybe there's some other mechanism of alerting to new posts to this blog, and I just don't know about it.)

Anyway, it's gotten about as dumb as it's going to get.  The next thing that will happen, once I conclude that I'm only talking to myself (and Mr Diraimondo), is that I'll just end the blog.  If this isn't stimulating, and maybe fun, for all of us, then it has no purpose.


PS: There's no mechanism to block people from commenting here.  Normally, I would say I wouldn't block anyone, even if I could.  But at this point, it's very possible, and maybe likely, that I'd block Mr Diraimondo.  He's sort of a disease.  I got vaccinated against the coronavirus, and I might well make us all immune, or insensitive, to Mr Diraimondo.


12 comments:

  1. You can set a filter that requires you to approve posts before they go up. That would enable you to determine who doesn't have the privilege of replying. I, for one, trust you to use that power the least amount required and to never edit a post that you do allow to go up. Your blog, my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. I can do that. I forgot about it. That's what Milt Hunter does, and he uses it to block anyone who doesn't agree with him, or whom he can't "correct."

      I really hate to do that to anyone, but maybe it's the best thing. I think I'll take your advice.

      Delete
    2. OK, I did it. Thanks, Mac. The only problem is that it creates delays, and it's more work for me. No comment can be published until I agree to it, which means it waits until I have enough of a lull to check the comment.

      So my plan is to approve any comment from anyone, except Mr Diraimondo. I doubt I'll even read them, since they're all idiotic nonsense and insult anyway, and I'll just decline them.

      Thanks again.

      Delete
    3. Mac,
      Strictly between you and me (Mr Diraimondo can't know about this), I switched the setting to require my approval of any comment made. Shortly thereafter, two people told me they had commented (one to this post, and one to another one), and they were told publication of their comments were pending my approval. But I couldn't find these supposedly pending comments anywhere, and the blog (blogspot) never sent me an e-mail to ask me if I approved the proposed comments. And Brian McNoldy's comment below was published normally without my ever having been asked to approve it. So I decided the system doesn't actually work, at least not reliably, and I reset it to comments "never" needing approval from me. Instead, I've just been deleting -- "forever" -- comments from Mr Diraimondo. I went back about two or three posts. I'm not making an additional career of erasing Mr Diraimondo. But from now on, if he does comment, I'll just erase him. David Hernandez eventually quit bothering us, and maybe Mr Diraimondo will, too.
      Fred

      Delete
  2. Yes, unfortunately, a moderated blog is the solution. It is more work. I still leave mine unmoderated, and my "disease" is spam of all sorts (buy this, enlarge that, etc). But it's relatively manageable, and I go through and delete them periodically. It's a shame when one single person is more toxic, nasty, and annoying than all of the spam combined... but here we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now, I have two problems. The first one was that nothing asked me to approve your comment. So I'm apparently not moderating after all. I'll have to go back to the settings, to see if there's something I missed.

      The second problem, assuming the person I'm trying to block doesn't reappear, which would then be the third problem, is that I get the same kind of spam you do. The ones I get are usually stimulated by some word in the post that leads the robot to add a comment about whatever it is they want to sell. But those are very uncommon, and I just ignore them.

      Delete
  3. It’s quite nice in here! Air is fresh, sunlight streaming into the space. Welcome to the BPF board as an alternate. Your perspective, voice, influence and ideas are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Rafael, like a deep cleaning with a Neti Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. See my separate comment under "You Can't Always Get What You Want." Happy to be back on this blog, where I can use my potty mouth freely! Fucking awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well...I tried requiring that proposed comments be approved by me. It didn't work. So I reopened the comment opportunity to everyone all the time. Sure enough, Mr Diraimondo appeared again. I've decided simply to delete his comments, which is what I will do from now on.

    In addition, I have been getting from him the predicted (by Mac, and confirmed by my experience) flood of private e-mails. They are wide-ranging, and they include reviews of me as a doctor, some article about some presumably long-dead person named Fred Jonas who came from Germany, a profusion of stuff about Jews (Mr Diraimondo seems to have an unexplained fixation on Jews -- maybe he thinks I am one; he thinks I care whether or not "some of [his] best friends are Jews..."), and a drumbeat of threats. The threats are that he will sue me if I mention his last name (now, he's only demanding I don't mention his last name). What's loosely interesting here is that some months ago, when Mr Diraimondo and I had an agreement that I wouldn't mention him, and he would leave the blog alone, he broke his part of the agreement, claiming that he had a right to free speech. Somehow, he thinks the right to free speech applies to him, but not to me. I don't bother to ask him about discrepancies like that. And Mr Diraimondo also revealed that Milt Hunter is a friend of his (why does that not surprise me?), and that Milt has recently, again, gone off on one of his own crusades presumably trashing me. I have no power, no authority, essentially no influence, and I'm what preoccupies Milt Hunter, and his friend Mr Diraimondo. Again, I'm not even asking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter what you do, don't quit. If you watch Handmaid's Tale, "Nolite te Bastardes Carborundorum"

    ReplyDelete
  8. im very impressed with your post because this post is very beneficial for me and provide a new knowledge to me

    GoLand Crack Mac

    ReplyDelete