Friday, August 21, 2020

Been There, Done That. Willing to Go Back There, and Do That, Again.


I suppose technically, I ran for Commission in 2013 and 2016.  But I wasn't running for so much as I was running against in those years.  In 2013, Noah Jacobs, and the possibility of Bryan Cooper, had to be displaced, and I ran, hoping to defeat either or both of them.  Bryan didn't run, and Noah lost.  For me, the problem was solved.  The fact is, I came in third, and only a very few votes better than Harvey Bilt, who I thought at the time would have made a good Commissioner.  But I didn't choose to decline my third place victory, so that Harvey could be elected.  I served my three years.  (We had also attached ourselves to the general election, so all Commissioners got an extra year, so we could synchronize.)  I thought we made some important elements of progress for the Village, I was satisfied, and I did not feel a need to run again.  And I said so.  Repeatedly.  And publicly.  Until near the end of the qualifying period, when I saw who was running, and who I thought would most likely win.

So I changed my mind, and I ran again in 2016.  My sole intention was to try to prevent an automatic majority/slate of Tracy Truppman, Jenny Johnson-Sardella, and Will Tudor from being elected.  I didn't work hard enough in that campaign, and I didn't win.  And the Village began to unravel, fast.  First, it was Tracy/Jenny/Will, then it was Tracy/Jenny/Will/Harvey, then it was Tracy/Jenny/Will/Betsy Wise.  It was relentless and destructive.  Harvey served a short term, Betsy, Jenny, and Tracy eventually quit, and only Will remains from that debacle.  It's a complete mystery what Will is doing there.

After the abdications, we were still stuck with Will, but now, we also had Dan Samaria, who had already been there since 2018 (and who had actually been doing a good job, and who should have been an asset), and we had Ginny O'Halpin, Mac Kennedy, and Roxy Ross.  If Dan had not inexplicably gone to some other dimension, and if Ginny had turned out to be competent, we would have had an adaptive Commission.  But that's not what happened.  Dan and Ginny somehow got seduced or hypnotized or something, and the two of them teamed up with Will to keep the Commission maladaptive and nonfunctional.

This coming November, three terms will end, as three terms end every time we have an election.  Will Tudor's term will end, and Mac Kennedy's and Roxy Ross' fill-in terms will end.  And for a while, no one was talking openly about running.  But Art Gonzalez declared an interest, then registered his candidacy, and I have every confidence Mac Kennedy will run for re-election.  That's two.  We need three.

At the beginning of the last week of qualifying, someone told me Judi Hamelburg might decide to run.  The same person told me I should run.  (I never knew this, but apparently, Judi ran for Commission more than 15 years ago, but she didn't win.)  We don't see much of Judi, and when we do, she either talks superfluously, or she quickly works any discussion about anything around to her own personal experience, as if everything was somehow always all about her.  She was also a prominent member of the "Anyone but Fred" crusade in 2016, so she's part of what brought us Tracy, Jenny, and Will.  And I've never heard that she regretted her posture.  So I had my concerns about Judi.  But if she was seriously planning to run, and if she could make herself a creditable Commissioner, then I was prepared to support her.  As with Noah and Bryan, and with Tracy, Jenny, and Will, my main interest was to interrupt a maladaptive dynamic for the Village.  Today, that maladaptive dynamic relies on Ginny and Dan, who have no way to think through issues, and who appear to take direction from Milt Hunter, and Will Tudor, who is grossly uninterested in the Village, and who seems to derive a weird satisfaction from helping the Village flounder.  All of that goes away if Mac gets re-elected, Art gets elected, and one other adaptive person gets on the Commission.  If Judi can be that third adaptive person, great.

So, on Monday, August 17, I sent Judi an e-mail.  I told her I wanted to talk to her about something, and I gave her my phone number.  Judi never responded to the e-mail, and she didn't call me.   This was not a good omen, if my wish was to be reassured that Judi could be adaptive.

On Tuesday, August 18, I picked up a candidate packet.  On Wednesday, I opened a candidate bank account.  And I still didn't hear from Judi.

On Thursday, August 20, William Abreu filed candidacy.  I have no idea who William Abreu is.  I'm told he's Brazilian, very young (possibly under 30), and that he lives off 11th Pl.  The idea that totally uninitiated people can govern an area and constituency seems to be infectious.

Late in the day on Friday, August 21, Will Tudor submitted paperwork to run, again.  It's completely unknown what this is about for Will, but "he's ba-ack."  Or he just won't leave.

So now, we have six candidates for the three seats.  Of those six, two will get four year terms, and the third will get a two year term.

Here's my suggestion.  Mac Kennedy has been an excellent Commissioner, and you should vote for him.  Art Gonzalez has been a dedicated and interested neighbor with very good organizational experience, and you should vote for him, too.

I am steady, goal-oriented, and I have always been good for my motto: "For the Best We Can Be."  I provide stability, no nonsense, and I act as a kind of ballast.  I prevent the ship from getting out of control or tipping over.  I suggest you vote for me.

I cannot suggest you vote for Judi Hamelburg, because she has not shown the kind of even-temperedness and devotion to the Village (that part of it that is outside herself) that is necessary for proper Commission functioning.

I cannot suggest you vote for William Abreu, because I know nothing about him, and he has given no one any reason to assume he is interested in or knowledgeable about the Village.  If he has something to tell us that we don't know, he has some time to do it.

I strongly suggest you not vote for Will Tudor, because he has enabled every bad thing that has happened to the Village since the end of 2016, and he is plainly not interested.


15 comments:

  1. Congrats Fred happy to have you in the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Fred,

    I believe I have spoken with you in person a few times over the years, but I'm a 15-year Biscayne Park resident at a few different residences on 11th Pl. I am a teacher and have three kids, so have never been very involved in village politics except as an observer, voter, and occasional signer of petitions. I appreciate your dedication to the village's best interest, even when my own views are different, and am glad you are running. However, I don't like the way you spoke about people like myself because of where we live in the village, as you did with William Abreu. Like William, I am under 40, and the attitude that he isn't worth considering because he's young, he's from the eastern side of Biscayne Park, and you don't know him seems overly narrow. I get that you feel we've been burned by electing political novices before, but that's not fair to him. I also don't know him, for the record, but his comments on Nextdoor are reasonable and his work as a coach and martial arts instructor might permit him the time/energy to dedicate to this. He is a Beach High grad, so not exactly someone who's completely new to the area. Again, I don't know him personally, but your summary pre-judgement rubbed me the wrong way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear "sezzle,"

      Apparently, I gave the wrong impression. The Village is a very small place, and no part of it is less important than any other part of it. I have friends who live on the eastern side of the Village. I'm aware that over the decades, the eastern side has been underserved. In 2013, I had the idea to try to get a wall put up between the eastern edge houses and the track, to reduce the noise. But I couldn't get much interest in that idea, even from people who live there. They weren't complaining nearly as much as I think I would have been. No one except me was interested, so nothing happened.

      I have no issue with William Abreu's being under 40, or under 30. I mentioned his age, because someone mentioned it to me. I know little else about him. Now, I also know that he works as a coach and martial arts teacher. We're talking about Village government here. William's reported experience is not relevant. And William hasn't made himself a part of the Village and its functioning, apart from the fact that he lives here. (How long has he lived here?) Why would I, or you, assume that a relatively very young person with no reported relevant experience, and no identifiable familiarity with Village government, would make a good Commissioner? But as I said, if there's something more relevant we can know about William, then he has time to tell us about it.

      I, too, graduated from Beach High. In 1968. When I lived in south Florida, I always lived on the Beach. I've been back and forth between Miami Beach and the Boston area my whole life. The last time I came back was in 2005. House prices on the Beach were increasingly out of sight. My brother had a friend who was realtor and lived in BP. My brother suggested I look here. I had never before heard of BP. CNM? MSV? Yes. BP? No. So I don't think the fact that William went to Beach High says anything necessarily about his familiarity with this area.

      I'm sorry my few notations about William rubbed you the wrong way. Maybe you'll make it your business to get to know him. If he impresses you, then vote for him. But yes, as you say, political novices can do a great deal of damage, and they've done it big time right here. So just be careful.

      Fred

      Delete
    2. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
      Well said!!!!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your reply, Fred. My name is Sam -- I didn't realize my login through google here would show up that way (haven't used blogspot in several years). I'd be happy to get a fence along the tracks -- while used to the noise, I'd love to see it reduced.

      Delete
  3. Fred - I don’t know if I can survive living in VBP without your cliff notes of commission meetings. If you are one of “the 5” then your objectivity will be lost. And surely the sharp quill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fred - I don’t know if I can survive living in VBP without your cliff notes of commission meetings. If you are one of “the 5” then your objectivity will be lost. And surely the sharp quill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rafael,

      Thanks. Feel free to go back through the blog archives to the posts from 2013 to 2016. You will see many posts I published while I was a sitting Commissioners.

      If you're still afraid you'll lose the objectivity or snark, or amusement, then you have five other choices.

      By the way, after you publish a comment, instead of clicking the return button, click the address bar, enter the blog address, and press enter. That will avoid the double publications.

      Fred

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks. Are you still around? Don't forget to vote. It requires votes, not luck.

      Fred

      Delete
  6. Fred,

    Rather than dwelling on the past, and tearing others down, what are the positive reasons someone should vote for you? What do you want to do to improve BP?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sort of the same answer approached from opposite directions. The past has given us destruction, so someone should vote for me in the interest of repair and reconstruction.

      I want to be part of a Commission that has, and articulates, a vision for the Village. And I want that vision to be constructive, and one that will advance the Village. I want to restore the "front office" to one of carefulness and competence.

      I want improvement. For example, I'm not content to wait around for someone or other to give us some trees that we can shove into formless and soulless medians. I want developed and beautified medians. And I want those medians, and our other public spaces, enhanced with public art.

      Consider my earlier time on the Commission. You might or might not favor the idea of outsourcing all of our sanitation, and you might or might not particularly think WastePro was the right contractor. But that Commission, and I, saved the Village and its property-owners a good deal of money by outsourcing, and we stabilized the public works department. Also, we (two other Commissioners and I) pushed forward with a dramatic renovation of the log cabin, and the new construction of an administration building. I don't know what Noah you are, but that log cabin got essentially no attention for decades, was in bad disrepair, and was difficult to work in.

      When I was on the Commission, I had a lead to electric vehicles we could have used for our Code compliance officer. The manager did not accept my suggestion, but if she had, we would have saved a very considerable amount of money on one vehicle. I didn't think of it at the time, but now, I'd like to encourage the Village to rely on solar panels on the recreation building (flat roof) and the administration building (no tree cover) to drop our FPL costs.

      If you want to ask about anything else, or "drill down" on what I've offered, please continue the conversation.

      By the way, last night, I sent an e-mail to all Commission candidates offering all of them guest authorship on this blog. I suggested to them that they could use this blog to get out whatever message about themselves they'd like voters and residents to consider. I think you should be able to have this conversation with them, too. Mac Kennedy is already a guest author, and has sometimes used this blog to express himself, and I hope he'll continue. Art Gonzalez thanked me for the offer, but he never said if he wanted to use it. I never heard back from the rest.

      Fred ("For the Best We Can Be")

      Delete
    2. Also, Noah, last night, we interviewed candidates for the position of Village attorney. One of them (I don't remember which one) agreed that the most important job of the Commission is to establish overarching vision. It is the manager who executes that vision.

      And I did not tear anyone down. I reported what I know, what I experienced, and in the case of William Abreu, what I did not experience (but should have, if he wants to be a Commissioner). The only details I did not recapitulate were the problems created by Noah Jacobs (are you that Noah?) and his two partners and those created by Tracy Truppman and her stooges. If you think it was unfair of me not to have dredged up all that, you can ask, and I'll give you details. But I have no interest in tearing anyone down. I want to move forward. The greatest threat to our being about to do that is Will Tudor, since he was a very reliable member of the wrecking crew that gave us our current trouble. And he's still at it. I think I was very clear about Judi Hamelburg. If you disagree, and you think she's terrific, then vote for her. I'm just giving my thoughts. That's what a blog is for.

      Delete
    3. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘
      Well said!!!!!

      Delete
  7. Can’t vote Fred. I moved out last year.

    ReplyDelete