Friday, August 16, 2019

Cool! I'm Solar!


The final completion of my project was this week, on Monday, although it started late last year.

I went to a meeting of the local solar power cooperative a couple of years ago, and it all seemed like a good idea.  But I sort of wasn't ready enough, and I didn't feel like spending the money, so I just waited.  Last year, I saw a sign for Goldin Solar in the yard of Mike and Melanie Oliva.  I think I bumped into Mike not long after, and we talked about his project.  He was very pleased.  So, I called Goldin, got my consultation (sales pitch), and decided to go ahead.  I chose, over the conflicting advice of Goldin, to get some panels in front of my house (the north-facing roof, which gets most of the direct sunlight in the summer, when I most need the power), and most of them on the south- and east-facing parts of the roof.  The Goldin people say that in the northern hemisphere, the sun is south of us more hours of the year than it is north of us, so panels in this hemisphere should all and always be south-facing.  I get it, but my reasoning was different.  Also, they say that during the winter, even though I don't need as much power, I'll be collecting more hours of the day with south-facing panels, and FPL will pay me for the power I put into the grid.  True, but they pay less for electric power than they charge for it, so if I can get it directly when I need it, it helps me more financially by reducing my summer bills, than if I just remember I banked something in the winter.

Anyway, we eventually began, or tried to begin, my project.  And there were delays.  Some of them were caused by Goldin Solar, which had some turnover in project managers, and some were caused by our dear Village of Biscayne Park, which has a Commission and administration that wreaks whatever vengeance it finds available on people who criticize the current Commission.  These acts of vengeance can take the form of something like forgetting to put my variance application on the Commission agenda.  But I eventually got through all that.  I was assigned a new project manager, who was in satisfactorily close touch, and the Commission made the mistake of relying on an attorney-- soon dispatched-- who said the Village could not stop me from having north/street-facing panels.

Eventually, the brackets that attach to the roof, and that hold the solar panels, were installed, then inspected, and after that, the panels were installed.  They were eventually inspected, too.  The final act was for FPL to change my meter to one that reads both usage and production(!), and then for Goldin to flick the switch.  I think all that happened on Tuesday.  (Today is Friday.)

Ta-Da!  My "dashboard" says I got about 25kWh of solar power on Wednesday, and about 29kWh on Thursday.  My usage was about 30kWh on Wednesday, and about 36kWh on Thursday.  And keep in mind that I collect solar power only during daylight hours, but I use electricity all day and all night (especially AC).  So, when I'm collecting, I'm collecting more than I'm using.  My FPL chart shows that surplus during those middle of the day hours.  I'm feeding the grid then.  Obviously, I'm very eager to see what my next bill will look like compared to the same month last year.

In today's mail, I got a very nice hand-written "thank you" card from the Goldin Solar project manager.  You're doing the right thing...smaller carbon footprint...we'll monitor your system periodically...we hope you'll be pleased...blah, blah, blah.  Very nice.  For what it's worth, my project manager ended up being Yesenia Adams.  Very nice woman.

At the end of the thank you note was a little kicker for me.  "We have a promotional program available to customers in which we offer a commission for any referrals that materialize into a contract."  I did mention the Olivas when I called Goldin Solar, so maybe they got a commission.  But here's the thing.  I don't know what the commission is, and I'm not in this for that.  So, if you contact Goldin Solar, and you decide to get solar panels, you and I will tell them to apply my commission to your bill.  It depends entirely on how many panels you want, but I'll tell you that I got 20 panels, and my project cost me about $18K.  It wasn't cheap.  But I already agreed to it, I already paid it, and I don't expect the price of what I already did to go down.  I paid $18K, and if no one I know gets panels from Goldin Solar, I will always have paid $18K.  So, if there's a discount available, you should get the discount.  I'll tell Yesenia Adams to see to it.


9 comments:

  1. Congrats, Fred. Get a vege garden going so you can go "off grid!" The best part of that story is that you fought "the man" and you won!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't get off the grid completely. The way to do that is to get batteries that receive the overflow of solar power during the day, and you use that stored electricity when the sun is down. But 1) the batteries are really expensive (more expensive than the solar panel project), and 2) the recommendation is that batteries be used only sparingly, like when the power is out, maybe during a hurricane or something. It seems the available batteries are of a type that degrade quickly when they're used, and the more they're used, the faster they degrade. So I wouldn't pay that much for batteries I could only use maybe briefly every couple or few years. If they ever get better batteries, though, I'd get them, and try to be off grid almost all the time.

      Oh, so you think I should say Big Daddy, instead of Big Mama, huh? Yeah, "same difference." She was very disappointed when Julia said not only that the Village couldn't stop me, but that I should never have had to apply for a variance, and the fee I paid had to be refunded. I guess insult was added to injury. Although it has nothing to do with the topic at hand, I will say again how breathtakingly immature and destructive is our current Commission. The power of it lives for autocratic control, and to act out vengeance. I guess the difference is that she has better hair than Kim Jong-Un.

      Delete
    2. UM ... I might argue in favor of Kim's hair.

      Delete
    3. Mac - that's exactly what I was thinking!

      Delete
    4. OK, here's the discrepancy. You're talking about the quality of the hairs, and I agree with you that Kim's are much better. But I'm so distracted by Kim's idiotic haircut that to me, the whole hair thing is just bad. And I know you'll say that Tracy's hair "style" is nothing to write home about, but at least she makes an attempt with bad hair.

      Delete
  2. Ah, an unanticipated change. Normally, I plug in my car overnight, because FPL charges less for electricity in off hours than in daytime hours. But today, I'm plugging in during the day, because electricity for me during the day is free. I overproduce during the day-- I produce more than I use-- and if I don't find a way to use it, I sell it to FPL for less than FPL charges me to buy it when I'm not producing it. So it's better for me if I find ways to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Fred! I have been thinking of ways to bring down my energy usage and when we rebuilt our house I was so proud of the outcome in regards to the energy efficiency. The only thing that was not in the budget at the time was solar panels.

    Now that Mason is getting older and learning more and more everyday. I have been thinking about teaching him about renewable energy and lead by example and do just do it! Hearing how pleased you are and how well the system is running, just might have persuaded me enough to move on it.

    Thank you for your part in protecting the future for generations to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred,
    Glad you succeeded in the end, the panels are installed as they suited your needs. It did not need to be as much trouble as you went through. But, I thought that you would prevail as Florida Statutes controlled in this situation and the Village did not have any location regulations in place with regard to solar energy equipment installation.

    I thought it important to mention that the residential solar energy tax credit is still in effect. You should receive a tax credit off your income taxes in 2019 in the amount of 30% of the cost of the solar panel project.
    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-18-59.pdf

    So I join in congratulating you in reducing your carbon footprint.

    ReplyDelete