Tuesday, May 1, 2018

A Dumb Game.



It was a long Commission meeting tonight.  It lasted about two hours.  That doesn't seem long, except there was about 45-60 minutes of material.  No one I consulted was sure where the time went.

A presentation that could have taken a lot of time took almost no time.  The Consent Agenda was reasonably quick.  A few Commissioners commented that they expected a bigger crowd for discussion of the sanitation fee, and some of us in the audience were surprised, too.  But few were there, and there wasn't much to discuss.

The fact is, I was going to call this post "The Sublime, and the Ridiculous," to illustrate the contrast between Roxy Ross and the the four stooges.  It was frankly breathtaking.  Roxy was serious, detailed, exploratory, well organized, and clearly concerned about Village residents.  The rest were bumbling, inept, and ultimately had no meaning.  But I decided to focus on something else.  I wanted to focus on the discussion about the sanitation budget.

At one point, a propos of nothing in particular, Tracy "Big Mama" Truppman was trying to explain the increase in the sanitation charge, and she talked about how the Village was essentially padding the bill, for the sake of general Village finances.  She didn't want anyone to think they were being scammed, but just that this was a way to recover some money for Village staff expenses.  And she wasn't wrong about that.  She was right, and I agree with her.  She was addressing the Village's limited fiscal resources.

But here's the problem.  The Village has for some years now charged Village homeowners a property tax millage of 9.7.  For years, no one has wanted to change this millage.  Apparently, it feels consistent to Commissioners, and maybe to non-Commissioner residents.  It's the same number-- 9.7-- year after year.  But this number of mills-- 9.7-- has no meaning.  It's just a number.  The same number of mills every year is not the same tax to homeowners, and it's not the same revenue to the Village.  It's 9.7 mills, but that millage is applied to property values, which change every year.

Even if property-owners get a homestead exemption, which is what 80% of Village property owners do, the value of their properties can still change every year.  And they do.  If property values go down, as they did in 2008 and 2009, the tax goes down.  If they go up, as they do most years, the tax goes up.  The value in getting a homestead exemption is that if assessed values go up, the assessment on homesteaded properties, for taxation purposes, can only go up by 3%.  So a 9.7 mills taxation one year is a different tax than the same 9.7 mills tax another year.

The reason it's important to remember this is that when someone like Tracy "Big Mama" Truppman talks about fiscal constraints, which she would like her neighbors to know can be slightly ameliorated by a manipulation in the sanitation tax, the fiscal constraint is a self-inflicted problem.  It was Tracy and her stooges who did not increase the ad valorem tax rate above 9.7 mills.  They could have.  Any Commission could.  It's odd and a little grating to hear Tracy complain about fiscal constraints, when she has taken a role in imposing those constraints.  And that idiotic discussion took up a certain amount of time in tonight's meeting.  For one thing, we paid our attorney $165 an hour to listen to Tracy explain to her neighbors why she advocated for charging them an inflated sanitation fee, which was in consequence to deciding not to charge them the taxation rate they should have been paying anyway.  It was, as I said in the title of this post, a "dumb game."

There was one other dumb game during the Commission meeting tonight.  It was about board appointments.  I applied to be on the Public Safety Board, but suddenly, there were seven new applicants-- gee, I wonder how that happened-- so I withdrew my application.  I knew Tracy and the stooges wouldn't appoint me to the Public Safety Board-- they no longer had to, since there were these suddenly interested Village residents-- and I decided to apply to be on the Parks and Parkways Board instead.  It was my impression that that board needed members, and I needed something to do.

But I was wrong.  It turned out P&P already had what was essentially a full complement of members, except that Randy Wagoner's membership had lapsed, and he had to reapply.  Which he did.  So there was only one real opening, and Randy and I both applied.  There was great confusion about the count of which Commissioners voted to seat which one of us-- me and Randy.  The Clerk said twice that three Commissioners chose me for first choice, and two chose Randy.  I thought this was very odd, since it was announced that Roxy Ross, Big Mama, and Will Tudor chose me for a first choice.  Will Tudor gets confused sometimes as to what Big Mama demands that he do, but Big Mama never gets confused.  Why would she have voted for me as a first choice?  After some fumbling around, the vote was re-announced, and this time, Randy got three first place votes, and I got two.  So Randy was back on the Board, as he should have been.  What was funny about this, apart from the long time it took to count the votes, was that I later learned that Big Mama had asked for a recount.  It was as if Big Mama somehow knew in advance how the vote was supposed to come out.  I wonder how she knew.



7 comments:

  1. PS: I heard a funny story tonight. One of the people who applied to be on the Public Safety Board has written very consistently about his view that the board is meaningless, and it shouldn't exist. He's published this opinion several or many times on Nextdoor. Another of our neighbors has been following this man's antipathy toward the Public Safety Board, and he went so far as to communicate all of this, with excerpted quotes, to the Commission. They approved the applicant anyway. He happens to be a Truppman devotee.

    Did I mention the term "dumb game?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the resident who emailed the commissioners about Michael Redmond and his posts concerning public safety on Nextdoor. His posts are public, so I have no issue fessing up or even posting my email here. But, for the record, I didn't say that Michael ever said the board shouldn't exist. Read below and you'll see that his posts (at least the ones I read and copied/pasted) indicate that public safety (specifically speeding and other traffic issues) aren't serious and that anyone who thinks they are is blowing the issue out of proportion. Michael rides his bike a lot around BP, and he doesn't experience those issues himself so the rest of us who do are wrong, in his estimation. Did Michael get appointed to the Public Safety Board? Here's my email in its entirety:

    In the interest of "helping, not hurting," I thought I'd share some direct quotes from Nextdoor posted by an applicant for the Public Safety Advisory Board, who you are considering this evening. I am sharing these quotes because I know you say you don't read Nextdoor, although that notion is rather laughable. Let this serve as the vetting with which you likely didn't bother.

    Here are some things posted by Michael Redmond in reference to topics of public safety. I don't have his email address or I'd cc him (these quotes are public), but I'm sure at least one of you will forward this email to Michael. All good. Here's hoping you do the right thing tonight rather than what you've planned from the start when you loaded that board with applicants to keep Fred off of it. Please don't pull a "Trump" on our village and place someone on the Public Safety Advisory Board that doesn't believe our public safety issues are serious ... rather like putting someone in charge of the EPA who doesn't believe in climate change.

    In essence, Michael Redmond makes it very clear that he believes we don't have serious public safety issues, that they don't merit action, and that the status quo is perfect. That begs the question: Why does Michael even want to be on the Public Safety Advisory Board? Your recruit is a poor choice, but I guess you'll appoint him 4-1 this evening. At least that part of life in BP is "transparent."


    May 1: in response to Brad's post about the BP police dept not doing enough: (this one's a real charmer)
    Be glad there is only one Brad Piper, what a gloomy life you must endure, an absolutely joyless existence. Over you Brad the sky indeed is falling.
    ref: Chicken Little! 🐣

    April 22: commenting on complaints about local officials not addressing important issues like public safety, as if inaction on public safety wouldn't effect property values (clever strategy, Tracy):
    you are driving away potential home buyers, bringing down home values

    April 23: in reference to posts about the indisputable speeding issues in BP:
    you make [BP]
    sound like Dodge city of bad driving



    April 25: in response to posts about speeding and other public safety issues
    That's not what I see when cycling around the park



    March 24: in response to complaints about speeding; is this the solution you want from your new board?
    Your
    [sic]
    all forgetting one valuable tool, many of the speeders in the neighborhood are our neighbors, and I'm not suggesting this is for everyone, but
    if I recognize the person and vehicle, next time I see them I politely let them know what I think of their behavior.


    THE COUP DE GRAS: Tracy's own Kellyanne Conway, commenting on the great work in solving speeding issues
    Yes indeed, big thanks out to our new city manager, our commissioners, our Police Chief and our tireless Mayor Truppman.

    BUT BEST OF ALL, Michael restating the tagline created by the Vision group a few months ago, as if it were an original thought:
    [BP]
    is the most beautiful oasis in the heart of a metropolis
    If BP park is so perfect, why do we need this board at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mac,

      I interpreted the last line to mean that Michael didn't think the board needed to exist or perhaps should exist. If you think I misinterpreted, I will in some sense stand corrected. I'm not on Nextdoor, and I don't read the posts and the comments. I just read your e-mail with the quotes you provided. Perhaps there was an additional context I missed.

      Fred

      PS: I agree with Michael that Tracy is tireless. So are termites. Although it was frankly breathtaking-- perhaps shocking-- to see the juxtaposition of Rox and everyone else. Rox is careful, complete, systematic, knowledgeable, and in effect reassuring. She's respectful and diplomatic. When Rox tells you something, you understand clearly whence it came, what it means, and what are its implications. You feel enlightened, not bamboozled. The other four are pathetic. They're tragic. They're a waste of our time and money. It was, with respect to its content, a long meeting during which nothing got done. Like nothing ever gets done with these people. Because they're not looking to get anything done. It just pleases them to be there. I'm still curious to know what Tracy and the rest of them told their neighbors about Fred, to encourage them to vote for "anyone but." I don't know that Fred was any great shakes, Commissioner-wise, but his heart was in the right place, and his intentions were good. He was honest. Nothing like that can be said for these four losers.

      Fred

      Delete
    2. PPS, Mac: Tracy did do some vetting. To the extent that she knew that Michael refers to her as "our tireless Mayor Truppman," her knowing that counts as vetting. What more would she need to know? She's exactly like Donald Trump. If you cross her, or if you're fawning, she has vetted you. Those criteria about you are vastly more important (to her) than anything else she could know about you.

      Delete
  3. I re-read this post, and I think there was something I didn't make clear. It was fundamental to the theme and title of the post.

    Village residents and property-owners pay three kinds of tax to the Village. We pay the ad valorem property tax, the sanitation fee, and a collection of non-ad valorem fees and taxes. You'll find some of the latter included in your electric bill, your communications bills, and other places. The Village sets each of those taxes. Up to a point, the Village can charge whatever tax rate it wants, the prominent limit being the ad valorem property tax. For that one, the Commission can charge a maximum of 10 mills. We as a municipality can agree to pay a higher tax than that, but we can only go above 10 mills if the voters agree by referendum to do it. To the best of my knowledge, no BP Commission has ever asked the Village residents to consider an ad valorem property tax of over 10 mills. In fact, I don't think any Commission ever charged the residents 10 mills. They chose not to.

    But my point is that whencever the money comes, it's all the same money. It doesn't matter to the Village, and it doesn't matter to the tax-payers. We pay X number of dollars to the Village in taxes per year. It's irrelevant whether we call those dollars ad valorem property taxes, or a sanitation fee, or non-ad valorem fees. It's just an amount of money.

    So the idiotic thing Tracy did was propose to pad the sanitation fee (to artificially, in many respects, inflate it), which she properly admitted she was doing, so she wouldn't have to choose an ad valorem tax rate of more than 9.7 mills. But it's foolish, because it's the same money. That's why I called it a dumb game. It really is just a game, and it really is dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I may demonstrate a firm grasp of the obvious - the partisanship in BP that started when I was helping to get Rox, Bernard, and Bryan elected (yes, I went door to door for all three) is one of the biggest regrets that I have. I feel like I helped start it, and now it's reached critical mass and I don't know how to help calm things done.

    The only thing that comes to mind when I am reminded about this is that I should run for Commissioner. But, I honestly know that I should at least be on a board first. IF nothing else, just to remind myself about the rules of engagement, and make sure that I can make the committment despite being in grad school, with a 4 year old, a wife who works full time, and a 90+ year old house. Apparently, if I'm in Tracy's doghouse (which I can't possibly be since I haven't f---ing done anything or expressed any public opinion in years) I will not be able to serve on a board. So, I intend to engage Tracy directly and see if she can keep me in mind if/when an opening arises.

    I like to think that I can stay above the partisanship because it's at the core of my belief system. I don't even watch sporting events anymore, and I was a three-letter athlete in high school, because of the mindless rooting for a home team, to the extent that hurting the other team's QB for example is considered an acceptable strategy. It's this home team mentality that is tearing the country and the village part. At the core there may be reasons to lean to one side or another, but as soon as your loyalty to either side trumps (pun intended) an understanding of the issues and a willingness to cross the aisle to do what's best for your fellow humans, you've lost me. Wish me luck...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John,

      Your last point is in some ways the most important. It addresses the "partisanship" that can be mindless. Where we have seen that in recent years here is the candidates who either turn out not to want anything, or have an agenda, or who clearly from the outset didn't want anything. And since, as you also point out, some of them also have no relevant perspective, empty combat is all that can be expected. And that's what we have now. From the mouths of babes, they say. It was about two months ago that Will Tudor, one of those new Commissioners I would count as an offender, complained in a Commission meeting that the current Commission doesn't get anything done. He's exactly right. And it's his fault, and the combined faults of the other new Commissioners just like him. Funny enough, his specific excuse for the absence of getting anything done was what he said was "infighting." The problem is, there isn't any infighting. There is a solid majority, who don't listen to anyone, and do, or don't do, whatever they want. The result was Will's complaint. Also funny, Will has on a few recent occasions joined Roxy Ross on the minority, but the result is the same. And Will never argues for the side on which he occasionally votes with Roxy, as he argues for the majority, when he's on that side. So I don't know what his minority votes mean. If they represent his feeling about anything, he never says what it is. They could just be phony symbolism.

      As for your earlier advocacy for Bernard, Cooper, and Ross, I hope you don't regret your advocacy for Roxy. She's an unbelievable Commissioner. Steve and Bryan had served in some way before they became Commissioners, but by the time each ran, it seemed clear neither wanted anything positive or adaptive for the Village. And they acted accordingly. It was quite a disaster. If you regret that now, I'm sorry you didn't see it coming, but at least you understand it.

      We all have many responsibilities. Being a Commissioner takes its piece of your time. But with a manager, there's a lot a Commissioner does not have to do. The best thing a Commissioner can bring to the Commission, apart from the overwhelming dedication of someone like Roxy, is a vision and an intention. I'm sorry you did not get yourself somewhat up to speed, by joining a Board, but maybe you have something of value to offer. You would be of vastly greater value to the Village than are people like Tracy, who was on a couple of minor Boards for short intervals, and Will, who was never involved in any way. Jenny and Harvey were both on Code Compliance, and each had reason to have developed a perspective and ambition that could have served the Village. Neither did develop it. All four of them are useless to us, and they take up space. And accept money from us. So go for it. I'll go door-to-door for you.

      As for Tracy's doghouse, Tracy and Trump are essentially identical. If you're fawning and deferential, you're in. If you criticize, you're out. They're both very primitive "adults."

      Fred

      Delete