Friday, April 29, 2016

Two Free Tickets to Hear Leon Foster Thomas


Good news, bad news, I suppose.  The good news is great news.  Having heard Leon Foster Thomas before, I can attest that he is in fact a virtuoso of the steel pan drum.  If you look him up, you'll see him described as a "rare hidden treasure."  I don't know how hidden he is, since he's now a local here, and he has performed world wide, but he is without question a treasure.  He's from T&T, but he's settled in Miami, and he did his schooling here (FIU).  If ever there was a virtuoso on the steel pan drum, Leon Foster Thomas is unquestionably it.

Long ago, in anticipation of this concert season, I got two tickets for this show.  The show is on Saturday, May 1.  I had no way to know then that two of my friends would be getting married that day, and that I would absolutely be there.  So now, I have two tickets I can no longer use.

The less than great news for some of us up here in the north part of the County is that the venue, which I love, is in Cutler Bay.  I've already clocked it, and it's 27 miles from here.  It's the South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center.  Everything they put on there is top shelf, Leon Foster Thomas is top shelf, and it's well worth the drive.  I take I-95 to South Dixie, it's a straight line, and it's about an hour plus from here.  If you take 836 to 826/Turnpike, it's more miles, but quicker.  And you have to pay tolls.

So I have these tickets.  There are two of them.  I can't use them.  If you want them, they're yours.  The other good news, if I can tout SMDCAC, is that if no one wants them, I will turn them back in, and SMDCAC will give me credit for them against next year's purchases.  Who does that?



No comments:

Post a Comment