Friday, September 11, 2015

That's What I Should've Said. Yup, More About the Dais.



At last night's Commission meeting, I told Ed Chisholm I agreed with him, that the dais cost a lot.  I pointed out that it costs more than did my 2014 Volkswagen, which I bought new.  I did tell him that.

I said that he was one of many to complain about the cost of the dais, but that every time someone complained, and said they knew someone who did that kind of work, I responded in the same way: bring 'em.  Barbara Watts said she knew Larry Newberry, a BP resident who could make a dais.  William Pierce said he knew people...  I told them this was great, and they should have their sources make us a proposal, now, before we finalize our commitment to MacKenzie.  It gets really quiet once I ask for that kind of participation.

Ed Chisholm said what Barbara Watts says, and what some others say: why don't we just use what we already have: plastic folding card tables with nylon skirting attached with Velcro?  Who needs a $24.5K dais?  And again, they cited that log cabin we've gone to trouble and great expense to renovate, and even reclaim.

Here's what I should've said.  I should've said no, absolutely not.  The State of Florida paid a lot of money for this restoration, and we committed to pay plenty more.  We've put ourselves in debt over this Village Hall construction, and the log cabin renovation.  Barbara Watts likes to call the renovated log cabin "magical."

So no, we're not going to fall down on the completion of the job.  We're not going to adorn this "magical" room with a dais of plastic folding card tables, hidden by nylon skirting attached with Velcro.  We're not going to show off the BP way of doing things: cheap and lacking in self-respect.  I won't have it.  Roxy Ross won't have it.  It looks like David Coviello won't have it.  If you've ever been to Bob and Janey Anderson's house, or even driven by the outside of it, you'll know that cheap and lacking in self-respect is not how they do things, or how they live, either.

It's enough of people wanting only not to spend money, people who don't care how they live, and how their surroundings look, as long as they don't have to pay anything, or do anything.  This is our home.  It's our Village.  If Barbara Watts thinks the renovated log cabin is "magical," then we'll maximize the magical effect it can have.   And I don't think the State Legislature and the Governor would have given us the money, if we had told them we'll do only what they pay for, because we ourselves really don't care, we can't be bothered, and it's worth only someone else's money, not our own.

No, Mr Chisholm, we're not going to complain and resist our way out of finishing this project, and doing it right.  We're all going to step up.  Even the people who, when there's a problem on their property, and someone has to spend money, want to know whose money is going to be spent, because it most certainly shouldn't be theirs.  We don't need to rehash that ugly tale.

I feel sure you didn't vote for me, Mr Chisholm.  I hope you didn't.  You shouldn't have.  I'm not your type of Commissioner.  I'm the guy who wants the Park to be "The Best We Can Be."  And if I have anything to say about it, it will be.  At least, it will be the best I can help make it.

That's what I should've said.


PS: I'm just using your comments as an example, William.  You're a very good guy, a great neighbor, and you were a good sport about the last post.  My very best regards to you and Kim.


7 comments:

  1. Well you stated it now and good for you.
    I meant to say this at a meeting , it's not a dais. A dias by definition is a platform, this will be flush with the floor and that was the original design.
    Further it will have multiple uses, for example, when not in use it can converted to be a head table at a banquet or at a wedding. Also, we have learned that the original cost stated of $24K included a lectern so the actual cost was always less and it may be further reduced depending on it's ultimate size (For those that didn't attend the meeting there was discussion to downsize the length and depth among other options).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was discussion of a number of options, some of which, like making it movable, increase the price, and others which decrease the price. Also, the carpenter will give us a $1500 discount no matter what we do.

    When you enter a comment, do not use your back button to return to the blog. If you do, this will duplicate your comment. Instead, highlight the blog address, re-enter it in the address bar, and go back to the blog that way. That will prevent duplication.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete