Thursday, January 29, 2015

From Liset's Mouth to Your Ears: Peerby.com. And You Might Want to Get Naked.


My brother put me onto this site.  Apparently, he knows it and likes it.  So I joined.  Evidently, Peerby wishes you would, too.

Hi Fred,

Thanks for trying out Peerby! My name is Liset and I wanted to reach out to you personally, because you are one of the first people in your neighborhood to join our community. Congratulations, this makes you a Peerby Pioneer!

Being a pioneer can be lonely at times and Peerby works best when your neighbors become members too. We would love to spread the Peerby sharing spirit all over the world but for that we need help from brave Peerby Pioneers like you. Do you like to help spreading the love and make your neighborhood an even better place to live?

Here’s some inspiration what you could write:
Hey guys! Need something you don't want to buy? Why not borrow it from your neighbors for free? Join me at http://Peerby.com
Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or any feedback for us. I would love to hear from you!

Sunny greetings,
Liset


PS: I don't know why Liset would love to hear from me.  I'm not sure what she has in mind for me to "borrow."  But maybe she'd be just as happy to hear from you.





One of my BP friends put me onto a very interesting wine distributor.  It's called NakedWines.  Their site is nakedwines.com.

NakedWines claims that costs of wines are inflated by too many middlemen, and they endeavor to cut them out of the deal.  The serve as the one link between the consumer and the vintner.  They essentially commission vintners, who are encouraged to make the best wines they can, and NakedWines creates a population of consumers for these unique wines.  In fact, NakedWines says that the wines they commission are not available to anyone but NakedWines members.

I think my friend suggested me to NakedWines, because NakedWines sent me a $100 introductory voucher.  The offer was on a case of wine (12 bottles), with an extra three bottles added.  So 15 bottles of supposedly exceptional wine.  NakedWines says the "retail" value of this case would be around $350.  Their normal discount price is $169.99.  My voucher brings that down to $69.99.  Shipping is $9.99.  So I'm supposedly getting $350 (plus shipping) worth of wine for just under $80.  Thereafter, I'm back to their normal discount pricing of somewhere around $170 per case.  Plus $10 shipping.  They never send you any wine you don't specifically request.  They have a site, you go on it, you choose what you want (if you want anything), and they send it.  If you don't ask, they don't send.

The intended level of involvement in NakedWines is what they call their "Angels."  I'm not an Angel.  Yet.  I have to wait for an opening, maybe in a month or so.  Angels are charged $40 a month, every month.  This creates a bank which NakedWines uses to underwrite the vintners, and which represents the Angels' advance investment in purchasing wine.  Whenever I want wine, the money that will pay for it will come initially from my NakedWines bank.  Only if I want more wine than I've paid for in advance (at $40 a month) will NakedWines further bill my credit card.  And if I ever no longer want to be a NakedWines member/Angel, they will return to me whatever is in my NakedWines bank.

I've had some of these wines at my friend's house, and I can attest that they are, in fact, excellent.  So I joined.  If you want to do this yourself, let me know, and I'll sponsor you.  I assume that will mean you'll get a voucher, too.



1 comment:

  1. Fred,

    I Googled them and it appears that Peerby was formed in the Netherlands and has been around for a few years. They have raised funds to expand and have an app you can install on your phone. It's an interesting idea, but I think I'd like to find out a little more about them before I join.

    Presently I'd feel better calling up someone I know to borrow whatever first rather than blasting it out on the internet.

    The NakedWines sounds interesting as well. I'd be a little hesitant to build up a large bank with them, if they go out of business you could lose those funds. But the idea of cutting out the middleman and saving some money is very tempting. Especially if the wine is excellent as you say it is.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete