Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Neighbors Helping Neighbors


This is a theme some have expressed in Biscayne Park.  It's offered as a charming, caring, old-timey way of living together.  We sort of have that kind of neighborhood, and some like to act on it.

The day I moved here, in July, 2005, two different neighbors brought over casseroles.  That's how I met them.  One woman I know has brought food to a family that is struggling, and I'm told she does it on a recurring basis.  Another woman, and some others of her neighbors, help one of our elderly neighbors with yard tasks.  One of my friends has kept his neighbor's grass cut, and he prunes Village-owned trees adjacent to his property.

I have heard other BP residents talk about helping a hypothetical neighbor who does not have the wherewithal to paint his house.   The idea is that a collection of neighbors would make a project of painting such a house for the limited neighbor.  As far as I know, this has never happened.

Right now, we have a neighbor with a fairly serious problem.  Barbara Watts has written about this family in the newsletter.  The homeowner has given me permission to use his name, and it is Tim Peluchette, who lives in 9th Court, between 111th and 112th.  One of Tim's daughters, a high school-aged girl, developed a serious neurological problem and is unable to function independently.  Tim has had to take considerable time away from his work to care for her.  He is barely able to keep the family afloat, let alone attend to home projects.  Like the roof that is leaking, and which he cannot begin to afford to replace.  He has a tarpaulin covering the entire roof, it has been there for quite some time, his immediate neighbors are complaining about it, and there is even a tree beginning to grow through it.

The problem is that he has no money for a new roof.  It's unimaginable to me that he'll ever get out from under the medical debt from his daughter's hospitalizations.

This raises a philosophical question.  Do his neighbors feel like the kinds of neighbors who would like to help him in some substantial and "heroic" way?  Or is this one of those developments that results, in something of a darwinian way, in some people finding out they cannot sustain home ownership?

If the former, what, exactly, can his neighbors do?  If we're talking about a new roof, then we're talking about a $12K-$14K task.  Does each of his 1300 neighbors give him $10 or so, so he can get himself a new roof?  My experience tells me they do not.  I have been there, and I can tell you that as simple as it sounds, it's not remotely that easy.  Alternatively, do far fewer of his neighbors loan him money, each one coming up with very much more than $10, which this man then pays back to his neighbors when he can, or when he sells his house?  That requires each lender to be able to do without whatever they donate for quite a long time.  And does he pay them back with some interest, so it seems "worth it" to them to do without the money for as long as it takes?

Or is there an answer I haven't considered?  Does a collection of individual donors pool money to loan to any Village resident in difficult straits?

I have made an official inquiry into this, and the Village Attorney tells me this should not be a project for the Village as a municipal entity.  It has to be private.

Any thoughts?

By the way, Tim Peluchette's profession is as a repairman of office equipment, like copiers and other such electronics.  He works when he can, and he is always available to accept a job.  He can do the repairs on site, or someone can bring smaller equipment to him.  If you have anything that needs repair, let me know, and I'll put you in touch with Tim.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Fred,
    H sent me the link to your site, so I thought I'd drop by. It certainly occurred to me not to respond to the note above, but since I teach Ethics, that seemed a little callous. The problem you've described is an ethical one. What obligation do we have to one another? Big problem and an old one. Seems the answers change the closer we come to actually knowing who the person is. We certainly feel more obligated to our family members, even when they don't live in our neighborhoods, and we feel more obligated to our next door neighbors, if we know who they are, and we like them! But as your post implies and your commitment to serve this community demonstrates, we are inextricably caught up with each others fortunes, like it or not. Here's a link to an NPR article referencing a group called GoFundMe which may help our neighbor. Apparently it allows for people from all over to fund people that they feel some sympathy for. I would be glad to help out if there is a mechanism that allows me to donate to help Tim and his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tom,

      There are two issues here. You're quite right about the first one: it's a longstanding ethical question, problem, or dilemma as to how much any of us is obligated to anyone else. Neither of us has the time to discuss this right now. And anyone whose philosophy it is that no one owes anyone else anything is certainly not wrong, per se. It's a matter of philosophy, and it involves human nature in a number of competing ways.

      The more germane issue here, though, is a special sense many of us have articulated that in this unusual (I hope you'll agree there's something unusual about BP) neighborhood, it is our special and explicitly articulated feeling to want more involvement with each other than there generally is in other places. I could give you a list of the particular BP residents who have frankly been outspoken about this feeling about our BP neighbors. It is much more for that specific reason than any general fellow feeling that I note the need of this family, and, in the next post, the curious failure to come forward on the parts of those who have been most outspoken.

      Thanks very much for your offer. On behalf of the family in question, I will be pleased to take you up on it. I'm working now to get the best roofing estimate I can for them, then work to collect money to pay for the job. I'm hoping other people in the neighborhood will do something of the same. I've contacted some of them, to ask for their assistance, and I'm waiting to hear back.

      I've spoken to the father of the family in question, to see what his options are. It's all in the works.

      As for crowd funding options, these could be available, but they're a bit complicated. The father of the family in question does not seem to have the wherewithal to do it. I myself don't know how, although I could try to find out. These crowd funding agencies take about 15% of the donation, so more needs to be donated than is needed for the purpose. And crowds that provide the funding don't usually have this kind of problem in mind. If you think GoFundMe is a good bet, let me know. If you can help set it up, I'll talk to Tim Peluchette about it.

      For any other specific communications about this, it's probably best to contact me privately at fredjonasmd@gmail.com.

      Thanks again, Tom.

      Fred

      Delete