Sunday, March 30, 2014

Do Yourself a Favor

Normally, I don't do this.  I have recommended series or venues I like, but never a specific show.  It's time to make an exception.

At GableStage, a playhouse at the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables, there is a play called The Mountaintop.  It runs through April 13.  I'm not sure what ticket prices are, but for me, because I subscribe, they are $46, with a charge of $36 for the Sunday night show.  Say I sent you, and tell them you'd like the discount they would give me.  Tell them they should have a Biscayne Park discount, and you should get it.  I think the regular price is about $10 per ticket more.  If you're OK to pay them the full price, I'm sure they'd appreciate it.  The box office number is 305-445-1119.

The Mountaintop is a fantasy depicting the last night of the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.  There are two characters: MLK, and a woman named Camae.  No, I had never before heard of Camae, either.

I'd rather not say more about the story told by this play, since there is a remarkable trick in the device.  What I do want to say is that this is at least one of the very best plays I have ever seen, and the acting is beyond description.  I watched a youtube clip of Samuel L Jackson as MLK and Angela Bassett as Camae on Broadway, and the acting by the cast at GableStage is far, far better.  If you want to know what an actor has to do to be far, far better than Jackson and Bassett, go to GableStage.

Please forgive me for pressing you about this play, but my conscience would not permit me to keep it to myself.  As a frame of reference, I called to get tickets for tonight, having seen it just last night, and I am told that the publicity has led to a short supply of seats.  I am going with one of my friends, who also just saw it last night, as well as four other friends who have not yet seen it.  Please, do yourself a favor.  And you have to do it by April 13.

No comments:

Post a Comment