Saturday, December 22, 2012

Gmail. Holy S**t!

Don't you hate that?  Propriety these days requires me not to print certain words.  I can suggest them, by using asterisks for some of the letters, but I'm not supposed to print the whole words.  But the pseudocamouflage only works if you read the word I didn't type.  You must be thinking the word I'm not supposed to say.  How utterly silly and childish.  But in order not to offend, I'm not to type the word.  But if you have to read the word I didn't type, didn't I offend anyway?  Never mind.

I was writing an e-mail to my cousin.  We were talking about scotch whisky.  And unrelatedly, we were also talking about money.  So gmail has ads, along the top, the sides, and the bottom.  I suddenly noticed, while I was looking away from the letter I was typing, that one of the ads was for whisky glasses, and another was for a guide to stock trading.

My daughter forwarded to me an e-mail JetBlue confirmation of her trip to Miami this coming March.  The ads?  Plane fares.

I got an e-confirmation of a book purchase from alibris.com.  Ads this time?  Online shopping.

And personal e-mails without catchwords in the content?  No ads.

This seems very bad.  It's clear gmail is reading my mail.  It may be 28 years late, but 1984 is here.  It's "Big Brother" all over.  I find this very disheartening.  So that's why I paid Bill Gates $20 a year for a hotmail account.

No comments:

Post a Comment