Sunday, May 14, 2023

Is That a Serious Question?

This column comes from an online publication called "19FortyFive."  Whether they call themselves that because it was the end of WWII or for some other reason is unknown to me.  I never bothered to explore it.  "19FortyFive" is described as right-leaning.  Here's the column: Could Donald Trump Really Be This Stupid? (msn.com)

When Donald Trump first ran for president in 2016, he gave every indication of being an idiot, an inveterate liar, and 100% self-focused.  Although he did not win the support of the majority of the voters, his support was distributed such that on the technicality known as the Electoral College, he won the election.  Frankly, Hillary Clinton was too self-confident, she took voters, and the outcome of the election, for granted, and she did not campaign where and as hard as she should have.

By 2020, when Trump converted most people's strong suspicion that he was an idiot, an inveterate liar, and 100% self-focused into a well-established and glaring fact, he bizarrely got even more support than he did in 2016.  Although this time, voters, having seen what can happen when you just assume that a patent idiot, inveterate liar, and 100% self-focused clown couldn't, you know, possibly win an election like that, turned out to nip tragic possible chapter 2 in the bud.

If it's possible to say that Donald Trump went crazy -- as in crazier than he already was -- that's what he did when he was told he lost.  The rats have been scurrying off the ship since.

And now, some writer from a right-leaning publication wonders if Trump could really be this stupid?  If you change the question a little bit, and ask how stupid Trump could be, you're looking a really black hole.

Frankly, most of this relatively short article involves Trump's assertions, and reassurances to himself, regarding classified material.  But the fact is that if anyone tried to make a list of the things Trump does that are not stupid, there wouldn't be anything on the list.  The boy simply cannot get out of his own way.  He's a deeply failed human being.

I almost always vote Democratic, if I know anything about the candidates, but it's not obligatory.  The Dem agenda and what I think is best just mostly coincide.  I gave McCain some hard thought.  But I thought W was a complete disaster, and McCain never articulated anything he said he would do, or would have done, different from W.  And besides, McCain had baggage.  Interestingly, I had dinner plans with some Republican friends the Friday night after the Tuesday election McCain lost.  I was sure my dinner companions were disappointed, and since I like them, I felt badly for them.  So I said the most diplomatic thing I could think to say: I thought McCain would have done better with a running mate other than Palin.  My friends said they liked Palin, so that was the end of that conversation.

I also gave thought to Romney, who was one of those Republicans, of which there is a list, who had previously been the governor of the very blue Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  But in the end, I just couldn't get there.  And it's not because I thought Obama did such a great job.  He did some good things, but he spent too much of his terms trying to ingratiate himself to people who were never going to approve of him no matter what he did.  There were triggers he didn't pull, and should have.  Biden is so-so, and so was Clinton.  Carter was too much of a gentleman, and that office doesn't make room for gentlemen.  Johnson did some great things for civil rights, and some disastrous things about Vietnam.  And he was too full of himself.  Kennedy was on some right tracks, but we didn't see enough of him.

Anyway, I don't know what the Reps are going to do next year.  Trump is both a total loser and reportedly way ahead of the pack.  For now.  DeSantis is either as bad as Trump, although in slightly different ways, or worse, because he's not an idiot (he just acts like one), and should be able to do better.

Well, we'll see.  I don't particularly want to vote for Biden, but neither the Reps nor the Dems are giving me a better alternative.  Bernie Sanders got himself into a little trouble a few years back by saying incumbents should be challenged even by their own party, during the primary season.  I think he was right.



No comments:

Post a Comment