Monday, February 13, 2023

I Wonder If I Was Wrong About Donald Trump.

For a collection of reasons, I do not follow sports.  I especially don't follow professional sports.  I don't even make an exception for about three hours, meaning the Super Bowl.

Of course I know when the Super Bowl is, like I know when Christmas and New Year's are, and on a day like today, it is impossible to avoid finding out the outcome of the game.  (Actually, I didn't fully know who was playing.  I was pretty sure it was Kansas City against someone.  It was, and they beat Philadelphia with less than two minutes to play, and the critical play was a penalty against Philadelphia.  The Philadelphia player called for the penalty said the call was a good one -- sporting and honest of him -- and he thought what he did wrong was relatively minor and might be overlooked.  But he admitted the call was right, and considering where Kansas City was on the field at that point, it's most likely they would have won anyway.  But really, who cares about that, and it's not what I wanted to discuss.)

People say a lot of terrible things about Donald Trump, and among them are that he's racist and sexist.  He is caricaturishly sexist, but the question I've considered is if he's really racist.  His flagrant sexism didn't get in the way of his other "functioning," and he was able to appoint or nominate people like Sarah Sanders, Nikki Haley, and Amy Barrett.  He also promoted his older daughter to a high position in his administration, but since he also implied he wanted to have sex with her, it's unclear whether or not that promotion was sexist.  And if he is racist, that didn't prevent him from nominating someone like Ben Carson.

The fact is, Trump doesn't really care about anyone or anything, except himself.  So I thought there was no evidence that he was racist, at least per se.  But today, I'm wondering.

The second most talked about feature of any Super Bowl (second to the game) is the halftime show.  There have been 57 Super Bowls, so the halftime shows have become increasingly dramatic and technological, and probably always with big stars, who sing and dance and have loud music and entourages of assistant performers.  Yesterday's featured star was a woman named Rihanna.  I've heard of her, but I've never seen nor heard her perform.  I read today that she's pregnant, which is a little weird (that they'd choose someone who's pregnant, although she might not have been when they first contracted with her, and that she'd agree to do her show while she was pregnant).  I watched part of her show on youtube -- the halftime show is of no more interest to me than is the game, so I couldn't be bothered to watch the whole thing -- and I'd guess, from what I could see, that she's probably about six, maybe slightly less, months pregnant.  She didn't do a lot of dance moves, but she and the other performers were on suspended and moving platforms (not small enough that she could easily fall off), but if she were my wife, I'd plead with her not to do it.

Here's the video: Rihanna’s FULL Apple Music Super Bowl LVII Halftime Show - YouTube

So, Donald Trump, who doesn't care about anyone or anything, except himself, and always insults anyone who's not himself (or close and protected, even if temporarily, family members and associates) said he thought this was the worst halftime show ever.  Of course it's true that Donald Trump is always calling anything the best or the worst ever, and it's unclear what he really means by this, except it allows him to continue to run his mouth, which is his main activity.  (Most of it is output, but it's clear that there's noteworthy intake, too.)

But the question is this: if it was possible, which it probably isn't, to assume Donald Trump ever meant anything he said, and if it could be imagined he meant what he said about yesterday's Super Bowl halftime show, what made him think it was the worst one ever?  Having seen part of that one on youtube, and parts of other ones over the years, I can tell you that yesterday's was not the worst or the best ever.  It was fairly typical for Super Bowl halftime shows these days.  Rihanna's not a magnificent singer.  But she's not awful.  These shows are extravaganzas.  That's what they're supposed to be.  This one was an extravaganza, too, in its way.  But if we could make the very tenuous assumption that Donald Trump truly (I know, "Donald Trump" and "truly" should never appear in the same sentence) especially disliked yesterday's Super Bowl halftime show, why did he especially dislike it?  There are glaringly interfering dynamics, like Trump's 100% fixation on himself, and his preference for hyperbole (the best, the worst), but does this crack -- everything out of Trump's mouth is a crack -- mean that Trump is, somehow, in fact racist?  This raises questions like whether or not he can be bothered to be racist, given where 100% of his attention goes, but it could, in theory at least, make you wonder.

Perhaps as an aside, or perhaps to provide even a little bit more insight about this matter, among the many articles and columns about the Super Bowl yesterday, there's this one: Super Bowl 57 is the Blackest, most woke Super Bowl ever. Sorry haters! | Opinion (msn.com).  This is a magnificent column, and I could not stop laughing through the whole thing.  Enjoy.


16 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You know, Luigi, or whatever is your nom du jour, it's an interesting thing about what you just said.

      In 2016 and 2020, a majority of the voters understood what was terribly wrong with Donald Trump. (Trump won in '16, with the help of the technicality known as the Electoral College, but he had damaged himself enough that he couldn't overcome the voters in '20.) He, and Republicans, further damaged themselves in the '18 midterms, the '20 election, and they failed to experience the "red wave" they promised themselves last year.

      In the meantime, various electeds, and pundits (including some of the Fox crew), have spoken against him. They have now somehow come to realize he's a liar and a loser. (I've wished I could ask them how they didn't know then what most of us knew, and what they know now. How did they finally get it?) His backing of many candidates (all of the ones he backed?) is a death sentence for them. If Trump backs you, you lose.

      But you're reminding us that there are some people who never, ever get it. It's my guess that you never, ever will.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Rihanna "once tweeted an anti-Trump picture." (Boy, can she "take a number, and get in line.")
    Well that certainly qualifies her to have Donald Trump say she's the worst performer ever. That boy doesn't exactly have what anyone would call thick skin. He needs a mommy.

    No, there's still no evidence he's racist. He's just hopelessly infantile.

    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/nfl-world-reacts-to-what-donald-trump-said-about-rihanna/ar-AA17piM7?cvid=145416b7cd2e412aa2e47fc711ec069c

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forget about Trump what are we going to do with this current commission that was voted in in November and it hasn’t done one damn thing since 2014 Biscaynpark looks exactly like it looks like now not one change not one road is been fixed no one tree has been trimmed It’s a revolving door and now we have these Veronica twins. We’re in big trouble.
      Watch last month’s video watch Gonzalez does at the end of the meeting count how many questions the Argentinian Veronica asks over and over and over

      Delete
    2. Mr DiRaimondo, or whatever, I began this blog in 2011. I intended it for consideration mainly of BP issues, or issues that might be of particular interest to BP residents. I am referred to (by blogspot) as the "administrator" of this blog (because I founded it), and I have authored the vast majority of the posts here. There are about 15 guest authors, I solicited more, but most of the posts come from me. Recently, I have expanded the focus, and I talk about more general political things.

      This particular post was sort of about Donald Trump. Of note, and of interest, the first comment came from you, and it was "Trump 2024 !!" As little as you appear to understand, you did seem to understand what this post was about. But now, you're saying "forget about Trump," and you go on to whine about your Village complaints. As usual, by the way, you still don't know how to spell Biscayne Park. I have pointed this out to you before, and you are either too disinterested (so why are you still here, in BP or fouling this blog?), or incapable of learning how to spell correctly.

      I'm not addressing the rest of your screed, because it's irrelevant to this post.

      Fred

      Delete
    3. Why don’t you ever discuss or talk about the issues in Biscaynpark? That’s what this blog should be about not where your mind drifts into the sunset. We have major problems and Biscayne Park try to help a little bit instead of publishing things about Rihanna and Trump. Let’s talk about the issues the issues that we have in capable people running the village.

      Delete
  3. The name of this blog is the voice of Biscaynpark, and you should only be discussing things that have to do with Biscaynpark. Nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The name of this blog is Biscayne Park: a Village Voice. It is not "voice of Biscaynpark."

      It is not up to you to determine what I should discuss. If you don't like or approve of the content of these posts, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE stop paying attention to it, and stop fouling it with your meaningless nonsense. You can go to blogspot.com, start your own blog, and discuss anything you like.

      By the way, as for your question -- why don't I ever discuss or talk about the issues in Biscayne Park -- are you completely out of your mind? That's what the vast majority of these posts have been about.

      Delete
  4. Milton is right about you you’re a little past a little man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're a FOM. Well, that explains some things. Milton's always happy when he thinks he can dominate someone, and especially if he thinks he's smarter than they are. You're an easy mark for Milton.

      Milton wasn't complaining about me when he was selling me silver, or when he supported my first Commission campaign, because he was mad at my predecessor. You should ask Milton when and why he got mad at me. Let me know what he tells you. But after that, he advocated for Truppman and her posse. Until he got mad at them, too. (He thought Tracy would do what he told her. Milton has pretty good judgment, wouldn't you say?) Then, he was onto Samaria, and Ginny O'Halpin. Was Milton right about them, too? They were great Commissioners, right? Now, I'm told he's selling his house, and moving away. How sad for us. What a loss.

      As for whose blog this is, I generally agree with you. Lots of people think of this as "[my]" blog. I always tell them it isn't. It's all of our blog. That's one of the reasons I welcome, and have solicited, guest authors. Even when I was running for office, I always offered guest authorship to the people running against me, so they could make their cases, too. I think only Harvey Bilt, and possibly David Coviello, took me up on it. But still, I did start this blog, and I do write almost all of the posts. The commonest commenter these days is you, and you're out to lunch. So I wouldn't offer guest authorship to you. And I don't mean I'm trying to save you from making a fool of yourself. Guest authors have the same access I do. And I don't trust you. Look what you do just with comments.

      Delete
    2. Why can’t you focus on making Biscaynpark a better place? Stop naming people.

      Delete
    3. You mean like Art Gonzalez and his eagerness to leave the meeting, and the Veronicas, and Jonathan Groth? And Mac Kennedy? And Milt Hunter? Oh, wait a minute. I don't think I was the one who named any of those people.

      I know you have zero ability to focus, but this post wasn't about any of that.

      Delete
  5. The blog does not belong to you. It’s for everyone’s use, so stop it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mac Kennedy is the only devoted, caring, hard-working commissioner. This village is ever had since it’s inception and to allow these Veronica’s. They teamed up together not to vote Mac Kennedy as the mayor. He’s the only one that really works. None of them work Gonzalez remember Art Gonzalez when he was elected made a statement that is a one term commissioner enough said with this you know what’s going on behind the scenes it’s not fair to Mr. Kennedy to work so hard he’s fighting an uphill battle with these Veronica’s, and this Dumbo Jonathan

    ReplyDelete
  7. See what you can do to help Mr. Kennedy !!! Please stop Dr. Jonas enough for today. Put your efforts and time into doing something for the village instead of continuously attacking me and attacking Milton for no reason no more sad for today. We all know what’s going on it’s no secret.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a two timer i voted in by the people you want Ross gone and Kennedy to fight me you are and ass hole

    ReplyDelete