Sunday, January 29, 2023

I Know It's Late, But DO...YOURSELF...(And Your Family)...A...FAVOR!!

It's a good thing the movement against cruelty to animals has been even somewhat effective.  One of the "casualties" of this movement is a reduction in animal acts in circuses.  Ringling Bros, Barnum and Bailey Circus went out of business, I understand, because they could no longer have animal acts.  I hope the aquaria, like the Miami Seaquarium, also have to release their animals, or place them in other and less abusive settings, and that they, too, will go out of business.

But circuses haven't stopped existing.  There's just a new kind of circus, and the "performers" are only people.  The presentations are what most people would probably call acrobatics.

I was in Massachusetts from early May until the end of September in 2022, and one day, I saw a sign advertising something called "Circus Smirkus."  It seemed potentially interesting, or at least like something different to do, so I went.  Circus Smirkus is an organization based in Vermont, and their mission is to offer training, and education, to young people who want to learn circus arts.  I think the youngest member last year was nine, and the oldest were about 18.  Circus Smirkus is residential and full time, so they provide normal school education, but also training in the skills you'd see people demonstrate in circuses.  I asked one of the high school age staff what is the ambition of participants, and she said they hope to perform in...circuses.  It's a real thing, and it is what it presents itself to be.  The show, by the way, was very good, and I added the donation they hoped people would give (since the ticket price was low anyway).  This past November, during Give Miami Day, I noticed there's another organization like Circus Smirkus, and it's local.  Yes, of course I donated to them.

Last night, I attended a show called Circa.  It's like Circus Smirkus "on steroids," and these are professionals.  The show was general acrobatics, sometimes with appliances like a trapeze, and recorded background music.  The organization -- Circa -- is from Australia, and this was their first appearance ever in Miami.  The venue was South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center, which has been unnecessarily and irrelevantly renamed the Dennis C Moss Cultural Arts Center.  I know them, and will always know them, as SMDCAC, and their web address is smdcac.org, and probably also something to do with Dennis C Moss.  (You detect that I protest this renaming, and have a bad attitude about it?  Good eye.)

I've been a faithful attender of very many events of many kinds for maybe 10 years or so at SMDCAC.  I'm a little bit selective -- there aren't enough hours in the day, or days of the year, to go to everything, and some things seem like they're not as appealing (to me) as others.  But I've never been to anything I didn't like, and I love most of what I attend.  This is a magnificent venue, and the person who manages it, and chooses the performers, has spectacular taste.

It is very possible that Circa was the best thing I have ever attended at SMDCAC.  It's likely in the running for the best thing I've ever attended anywhere.  It was totally captivating.  It was jaw dropping.  There were times I couldn't remember to clap, and other times I couldn't remember to stop clapping.

And today is the last show.  I don't know if last night was the first show.  It's just the one that was relatively convenient to attend.  Today's show is at 3:00 this afternoon.  I looked up the ticket prices.  I don't pay much attention to them, because they're always lower than anywhere else anyway, and the parking is free, so it really doesn't matter.  I see the full price, without possible discounts, is $47.50.  As I said to the SMDCAC manager last night after the show, whatever I paid wasn't enough.  I go to so many things there that I get a volume discount.  There are discounts for old people (senior citizens).  There are shocking discounts for kids, through the Culture Shock program.  Those tickets are $5.

Here are your four reasons not to attend this show this afternoon.  1) You're out of town.  Sorry to hear.  I hope you're having a great time, because it cost you attendance at Circa.  2) You have other plans you already made.  If I can give you a piece of advice, cancel your other plans.  3) It's at SMDCAC, which is really far away.  It's about 28 miles from here if you take I-95, then US 1, and it will take you most of an hour to get there.  Don't be deterred.  This is bigger than that.  Please go to this show.  4) Today is Sunday.  Maybe you go to church.  Maybe it's your day of rest.  Let me be clear with you about something, and I know I have a well-developed reputation about this.  If you think there's such a thing as "god," "god" is not at your church.  "God" is at SMDCAC.  If I was capable of agreeing with you that there's such a thing as "god," I witnessed him/her/it last night.

I don't know if this company will be back.  I don't know when they might be back.  But they're here now.  Today.  This afternoon.  DO...YOURSELF...(And Your Family)...A FAVOR!!


No comments:

Post a Comment