Friday, November 19, 2021

"Energy Vampires"

I read an interesting story on my homepage today.  I know about this, but it was a nice compilation.

They were talking about those electric appliances that continue to consume electricity even when they're turned off.  They called them "energy vampires."  It seems like a very apt categorization.

The suggestion was that consumers plug these devices and appliances into energy strips (or unplug them when they're not actively in use), and turn off the energy strip when you're not using whatever it is.  That will stop any electricity from coming to them, which will reduce electricity consumption, and therefore reduce your electric bill.  I've done this with many devices and appliances in my house.  When I need them, I plug them back in, or turn back on the energy strip.

Fish pond equipment is not a practical example, because you can't turn off the pump and aerator when there are fish in the pond.  They suggest you get a high efficiency and energy-saving pump.  And few people have fish ponds anyway.  Some people have indoor aquaria, and you're sort of stuck if you use a heater.  The fish might not survive, if you don't use one.  But they do suggest putting the aquarium in a room that's not cool, and insulating it.  And you can unplug the light when you're not watching the fish.

Almost everyone has a hot water heater.  It keeps the water hot 24 hours a day, and one of the things that allows that to happen is a recirculator.  They suggest putting your recirculator on a timer, so it's not heating and recirculating water let's say in the middle of the night.  I'm not sure how good an idea this is, because it only saves an estimated $28-$93 per year.  However, what you can do, if you don't have many people in the house, is switch from a tank-type water heater to one of those heaters (electric or gas) that doesn't have a reservoir, and heats only when you turn on the hot water.  You can save a significant amount of money that way.

A "set-top box" appears to have something to do with audio-video electronics.  The cost savings per year is only in the range of $16-$57 per year, but a power strip costs less than that, and you only have to buy it once.  That's what I use.  The individual components also use power, even when they're off.  So I plug everything, including the TV, into one power strip.

Did you know you can save $111 per year by unplugging an electric fan when you're not using it, even when you've turned it off?  Most of mine are wired ceiling fans, which use very little power, so I can't do more than turn them off.  But I have one in my garage for when I work out.  That one gets unplugged when I'm not working out, which is almost all the time.

They had one entry called "24/7 lights."  I don't know who burns lights 24/7, but it can cost you anywhere from $4 per year to $104 per year to do it.

It would be a real pain to turn off your computer when you're not using it, and if you don't turn it off, the good news is that it will cost you only $1-$49 per year.

Here's what they say about your modem: it will cost $5-$17 per year to run it (very little), but "unplug your modem before going to bed.  You don't need internet access when you're asleep."  It's very little savings, but the theory is good.

All chargers should be unplugged when you're not charging something.  Not a ton of savings with each one, but they add up.

I don't know anything about video games, but they do say the consoles are "another energy vampire."  You should unplug those consoles, and take your video game out of "instant-on mode if you don't need it."  As I said, I know nothing about this, so I don't know what constitutes needing instant-on mode.

A very big offender is central AC units, but I'm not sure anyone can unplug them down here at any moment during half the year.

An electric clothes dryer costs $.33 an hour to run.  You can't do much about that, unless you want to get a gas dryer, or hang your clothes on a line, to let "god" dry them in "his" spare time.  But you can unplug the dryer when you're not using it (that's what I do), which is almost all the time.

CFL and LED light bulbs cost a lot, but they save a lot, too.

"Your coffee maker requires a lot of energy while in use, so it's best to keep it unplugged while it isn't."  Words to the wise there.

Purists that they are, they also suggest unplugging your microwave (if you can) when you're not using it, because you have a watch or something, so you don't need the microwave on all the time just to know what time it is.

The rest of the stuff mostly applies to up north, or it's small potatoes.

As an aside, my electric bill sank to $10.05 a month sometime in early 2020, and it's never gone higher, even in two summers.  If you can afford to throw some solar panels up there, I highly recommend you do it.


7 comments:

  1. Oh Fred, when I saw your title I thought you were referring to Colin Robinson! (Just a joke, he is an energy vampire from the tv show What We Do In The Shadows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to disappoint, my love.

      Perhaps you would like to come to my castle later to discuss. No cologne on your neck, please.

      Colin

      Delete
  2. Follow up story, about 5 minutes after I wrote my reply to you I went into my kitchen. A burner light and the over light were on in my oven even though the switches were off. I unplugged it and tripped the breaker and plugged it back in, and no go, still messed up. I think I need a new oven! Must have gotten zapped in the storm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also thought Fred meant Colin Robinson. Update for Art: Colin isn’t dead! Turns out that energy vampires don’t die… They come back as babies. He’s a creepy infant living in the basement. That’s why Laszlo stayed behind when the others moved to London … to raise Colin! You guys are the only people I know who ever even heard of WWDITS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BrambleWitch and Art and Mac,

      I was telling my daughter about this post, and how everyone who commented thought I was talking about a science fiction TV show about vampires. I asked her if she was aware of this show. She isn't, but she said uses the term "energy vampires" for a class of people who are very difficult to be with, and who seem to suck the energy out of the other people who are with them. My daughter is a fitness trainer, and she said she has clients who are like this.

      Fred

      Delete
  4. Perfect definition. Every office has one.

    ReplyDelete