Sunday, August 29, 2021

Beatles Vs Stones.

I have a book called Beatles vs Stones, but this post is unrelated to that book.

The post also has nothing to do with Biscayne Park.

This post is about two, or possibly three, or perhaps four, songs.  One is the Stones' song "You Can't Always Get What You Want," (although I could equally well have gone with "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction") and the other is either the Beatles' cover of the Berry Gordy and Janie Bradford song ("Money, (That's What I Want)"), or the Pink Floyd song "Money."  But because the book exists, and I have a copy of it, I thought it would be cuter to call this post "Beatles vs Stones" than to call it Stones and Pink Floyd.  And it's all British Invasion, except for the original of the Beatles cover, which was written by the Motown originator.  Oh, well...

So this started when I got to the Ft Lauderdale airport too early today -- for a small collection of reasons -- and I suddenly, as the Brits would say, came over all peckish.  I needed something to eat, and I wanted decaf coffee to go with it.

I bypassed Jack Nicklaus' restaurant, because it looked too slick, and I went next door to a place which I think was called Heavenly Grounds.  I asked for their (overpriced, of course) "breakfast sandwich," and a large, black decaf.  How a place that has the name Grounds in the title, strongly suggesting that coffee is an important item they sell, doesn't sell decaf -- "not in the airport," for who can possibly imagine what reason -- was completely beyond me.  So I canceled the order, and decided to go to Nicklaus'.

The second piece of bad news -- the first having been that it looked too slick to begin with -- was that I couldn't see the menu by focusing my camera phone on the two-dimensional bar code.  It didn't work.  But a waitress, who may already have known this doesn't really work, came by very quickly with a physical menu, and there were two things I was willing to buy.  One was a shockingly overpriced "breakfast burrito," which cost $13.62, and the other was coffee.   Only one price was listed for the coffee, so I figured they just keep refilling your cup, as normal restaurants do.  So OK, I was hungry enough to eat a $13.62 breakfast burrito, however big that was going to turn out to be, and I ordered that and decaf.  At this point, I was seated at a table, which was more formal than I wanted.

What?!  Again they don't serve decaf?!  So does this mean you can't get decaf at Ft Lauderdale airport?  I need to talk to someone about this.  But by this time, I was about as hungry as I was frustrated, and I decided just to get my overpriced, and probably too large, breakfast burrito.  OK, fine, that and a glass of water.

If they had charged 1/3 the price they did, it might have been a fair price.  Since it was the airport, which is always rip-off city, food-wise, they might have charged 1/2 of what they did.  But that puny little thing, and most certainly not what anyone who's ever eaten one would call a particularly good breakfast burrito, for $13.62?  And up to $17.02, by the time they demand an 18% tip, and tax?

The Stones' song says that you sometimes get what you need.  Not this time.  And Berry Gordy, Janie Bradford, the Beatles, and Pink Floyd sure were right about the focus on taking people's money.


No comments:

Post a Comment