Saturday, May 29, 2021

"Some People are Takers, and Some People are Givers."

I hope you all know who Giuliano is.  As long as I've known him, I actually don't know his last name.  He and his wife own Ricky Thai Bistro on 123rd St, less than a block west of Biscayne Boulevard.  Ricky is their son.  Their daughter is Ya-ya (sp?).  I occasionally remember Giuliano's wife's name, but I'm not sure I ever met her for real, and I usually forget what it is.  Giuliano is Italian, and his wife is Thai.  She's the head chef.  The food at Ricky Thai is magnificent Thai food.  I've had lots of Thai food in lots of (American) Thai restaurants, and this is the best.

It also used to be disturbingly inexpensive.  Chuck Ross and I used to lean on Giuliano to raise his prices, and he eventually did, a little.  It's still inexpensive, but the pricing is better than it was.  And I very recently learned, very much to my surprise, that the beef and pork in the meat dishes come from what I would classify as humanely and properly raised and fed animals.  They're pasture-raised, and that kind of thing.  But it doesn't say that anywhere on the menu.  I leaned on Giuliano again to advertise the fact.  For some people, like me, it's important to know that.  I eat food from Ricky Thai anyway, because it's terrific, and because I like Giuliano and want to be supportive, but I feel a lot better about it now.  Other people might preferentially eat from Ricky Thai, because the animals were humanely raised.  And the meat from humanely raised animals costs more than factory-farmed meat.  Giuliano should think about that when he decides about the prices of dishes he sells.

As an aside, and to add what for us is a personal touch, Giuliano and his family used to live in Broward.  But a few years ago, they moved, and they now live in BP.  Giuliano told me several of the herbs his wife uses are grown in their own home garden.  Today, they have papaya trees in the front yard, and it's my guess that it's from those papaya trees that they get the green papayas for the green papaya salad.  (Which is spectacular.  If you can handle heat, ask for it medium or hotter.  It will make you very happy.)

Anyway, Ricky Thai had trouble last year the same way everyone had trouble last year.  But they've re-opened for take-out only.  Unfortunately, Giuliano was just on the verge of expanding into the space next door, so he could have more seating, when the coronavirus hit.  And DERM got on him about some unclear nonsense that appears likely to cost him three parking spaces.  And a certain amount of money.  It's a mess.

But once I realized Ricky Thai was open, I decided to get dinner from them once a week, to contribute to their welfare.  And of course, the fact that I love the food cannot be overlooked.  But I never used to go there, or anywhere, once a week.  This was for Ricky Thai: for Giuliano and his family.

Giuliano has been running an ongoing promotion.  He has four bottles of wine, and one bottle of Thai beer, in the window, and patrons can buy two for the price of one.  This is a little nuts, because the price of one of the bottles of wine is already a good deal, and getting two for the same price feels like theft.  But I do like wine, and if this works for Giuliano, then it's OK with me.  I just leave a bigger tip in the tip jar when I get wine.

I was at Ricky Thai last night.  I had had the Pinot Grigio (excellent), and I was curious about the Sauvignon Blanc.  For example, was it dry?  I prefer dry wine.  Well, Giuliano said it's fruity and not terribly dry, but...  Giuliano told me to take a bottle to try out.  It was a gift.  Giuliano does this.  He's done the same thing to Chuck.  He just gives away things like bottles of wine.  And when I protested (I'll pay for it!), he also threw in a bottle of Pinot Grigio, even though I told him I already have two in my refrigerator.  So I went in for food, asked a question about a bottle of wine, and wound up with two bottles of wine, too.  On the house.  And Giuliano tried (unsuccessfully) to block me from leaving $20 in the tip jar.  You know, like it wasn't necessary.  (By the way, my choice last night at dinner was the Sauvignon Blanc, since I was curious about it.  I agree it's not as wonderful as the Pinot Grigio, but it's definitely very good.  And if two of those for $25 total doesn't make you feel self-conscious, nothing will.  I have the same problem with my car.  I found out they have superchargers at Aventura mall, and I don't have to pay.  Ever.  That was the deal when I bought my car.  So in 30 minutes, I get a full charge for "free."  Well...it was an inducement to buy the car when I did, in 2016.  And this is what I do about twice a week.  I go "shopping," which I call shoplifting, at the mall.  And I still feel weird about it.)

Anyway, Giuliano and I were sort of saying goodbye for the evening, and talking about this little extra "transaction," when Giuliano explained that "some people are takers, and some people are givers," and he's a giver.  I suppose it's a good arrangement.  So am I.  And it makes both of us feel good about ourselves and about our place in the world.


10 comments:

  1. Well said Fred.
    Giuliano is a great guy; the Thai food is great as well and his wife runs a kitchen that makes terrific food. In fact, it’s the only place Roxy and I went to for Thai food since we discovered their place several years ago.
    I ordered take out one evening, (it was the first place and one of the few places we ordered takeout food during the big P). I asked him for a wine recommendation to go with the order, not the two for one offer. Because he has some great wines that I don’t believe you can get locally in town. He included that one in the bill and then gave me a second bottle. I told him that was crazy, but he insisted, so I gave him a $20 for the tip jar. He does not charge enough to begin with This happened more than once.
    You don’t meet a lot of people like Giuliano or you Fred, for that matter.

    Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ricky’s has amazing food and knowing Giuliano and his wife are local BPers is even more reason to frequent their restaurant. We particularly enjoy their Crispy Duck Basil (nom nom nom) and the curry version is equally delicious. Most of all, Giuliano (thank you for posting his name because I’ve never known it and he’s been delightful to me for years-and taking my credit card each time where he cheerfully returns it and says, “Thank you Rafael”!

    Feast at Ricky Thai… you won’t regret it. Caution Thai hot is truly for those who love and tolerate heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I contacted Giuliano to ask him if I could send him a notice about this post. I've never before communicated with him except at the restaurant, and once when I bumped into him and his wife at Laurenzo's. They usually shop at Fruteria La Hacienda a few blocks up W Dixie, and that's where I shop for produce now. I first heard about it from Giuliano.

      Anyway, he said he would be pleased to get this e-mail notification from me, so I added him to my contact list. His last name is Carrafelli.

      Fred

      PS: Yes, the duck dishes are great. The whole fish dish is a delightful presentation, but I don't know what it would be like as a take-out. The fish is presented postured as if it was alive and swimming, not on its side. I always get the veggie coconut milk soup -- tom ka pak -- and I get it hot. I have not tried "Thai hot," but I suppose I will one of these days. One of my friends stuck the point of a fork in the broth of my soup and declared it inedibly hot. But that's what I like. I have never had a dish there that I didn't like a lot or love. Larp is unique and very interesting. They're all great.

      Delete
  3. Fred you must be the most stupid individual in all of BP. No cares about your opinion or your food taste...do your self a favor a have a Duck on the house and place it for the sun does not shine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, at least I'm adult enough to identify myself as the one with the opinion. And my language usage is not tragic. And I'm not so stupid that I would waste my time reading and commenting on opinions that are meaningless to me. So if you're almost right, that makes me the second most stupid individual in all of BP. Congrats. You win.

      Delete
  4. Face it Fred Tracy control you and you could not do anything about it.... she dominated you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're partially right. She did not, and could not, do it single-handedly. She needed the enabling of her dim-witted stooges, and she had it. With that, she controlled and dominated all of us, and none of us could do much about it. Where there was eventually success was in someone's having called the Ethics Commission and the State Attorney's office, so some of her stooges lost their nerves and quit, and then, in their places, we elected new Commissioners who Tracy believed would not do whatever she demanded, so she, too, quit. But until then, and with the backing of her stooges, you're right: she controlled and dominated everything and everyone.

      You seem pretty uninformed for someone who alleges s/he has been in BP for 25 years. I'm sure there's some reason you don't want to expose who you are. It takes courage, or the absence of cowardice, to be open in a discussion, doesn't it.

      Delete
  5. Love the family and the restaurant— thanks for featuring them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I've discovered is that after you comment, if you use the back button, your comment will post twice. (You can delete one of them.) If instead, you reset the address bar, and click refresh, your comment will only post once.

      Fred

      PS: Yes, wonderful people. I haven't seen the kids in quite a while, but Ricky is now driving. I asked Giuliano if they were all vaccinated, and he said not yet, so I told him I'd take the kids, if he wanted me to. But he's going to wait a short time until the school year ends, and they'll all get vaccinated. The waitstaff are terrific, too. They now have two sisters -- Martina and Federica -- and Martina's friend, and they're great.

      Delete
  6. Love the family and the restaurant— thanks for featuring them!

    ReplyDelete