Saturday, May 23, 2020

Saturday, Huh? Interesting.


I just got off the phone with David Hernandez.  He called me.  He told me "someone" had sent him the "Peter Principle" post, and he wanted to let me know what a kick he got out of it.  He loved it.  He thought it was very funny, and it reminded him that "the pen is mightier than the sword."  I told him it was my pleasure to provide amusement, and I asked if he wanted to be on the list for new post announcements.  He deflected this offer, but later in the conversation, in a different context, he gave me his Village e-address.  So I'll put him on the list.

I told David I hoped he was OK, and let him know we were all worried about him.  I reminded him that he hadn't been at this past week's Commission meeting, and although his reasons were none of our business, we were, in fact, concerned.  He didn't really explain, which was fine, but he separately mentioned his blood pressure, which he said his doctor was trying to control by changing his medications.

He kept coming back to that very funny post he read.  I told him that we all want to help him, and that frankly, any help we give him is also helping ourselves.  I urged him to reach out to any of us any time, and assign any of us any task with which he needs help.  He thanked me, and he told me some fragment of a story that had to do with David Raymond, but it was never clear what was the point of the story.

So it appears the two purposes of the call were to let me know he sees what I write, and to let me know he laughs it off.  I regret that he contents himself with the second adaptation.  It doesn't sound like he's learning anything, or that he wants to, or perhaps that he's capable of learning anything.  As a slight test, I told him that I still object to the speed tables on 10th Avenue, and I can't go over them driving faster than 7-9 MPH.  (I objected in the past, he came to my house to discuss it, we went together for a field trip/drive to experience them, he had them removed, and then he put them back.  He was not the interim manager then.  He was the Public Works Director.  I have no idea who allowed him to remove them, or who told him to put them back.)  He told me today that Ernesto Oliva, who lives directly across the street from them, doesn't like them, either.  But other residents reportedly told him they like them very much.  (So presumably, I can go fuck myself.)

And that was my call from David Hernandez this morning.



2 comments:

  1. Ok, first I solved problem with making comments, my browser was blocking third party cookies.

    It seems clear to me the call to you was a threat, it's an attempt to intimidate you, he's letting you know he's keeping an eye on you. This is a bit of a concern as I have received a couple of odd calls from him as well as have others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If David thinks that would intimidate me, he doesn't know me very well.

      Delete