Saturday, November 23, 2019

And...They're Off!


On January 7, we're having an election to fill two Commission seats, and there are three candidates.  They are listed on the Village website as Mac Kennedy, Rafael Ciordia, and Virginia (Ginny) O'Halpin.  This is not alphabetical order, the lady isn't first, and I don't know what accounts for the order of candidates listed.  It's possible it reflects the order of when candidates turned in their paperwork to declare themselves.

Mac Kennedy hit the ground running, BP resident-wise.  He made himself well known as soon as he moved here, which was probably around five years ago.   He's been on a board, he's volunteered in other ways, he comes to meetings, he has strong opinions, and he's outspoken about them.  In full disclosure sort of thing, I have become friendly with Mac.  I like his brashness, I like his style-- especially his writing style and word usage--, and I have complete confidence that he has the best welfare of the Village centrally at heart.  I don't always agree with him about particulars, but he cares very much about the Village.  And perhaps most critically right now, I know that Mac fully understands the disruption and corruption that are Tracy Truppman, and he wants her displaced.  There is nothing more important and more urgent in Biscayne Park right now.

I know nothing at all about Rafael Ciordia.  My friend, Chuck Ross, knows who Rafael is, and he pointed him out to me at one or two of the most recent Commission meetings.  I've never heard of Rafael.  If it weren't for the fact that Chuck knows everyone, he wouldn't have heard of him, either.  I'm assuming, because Rafael is an approved BP Commission candidate, that Rafael lives in BP.  He has no involvement with the Village in any way.  I have no reason to think he knows anything about the Village, apart from the fact that he lives here, presumably.  I'm going to make one guess, though.  I'm going to guess that he knows Tracy Truppman, or she knows him.  Rafael is exactly like Will Tudor, or Betsy Wise.  These are people who are totally disconnected from the Village, except that they happen to live here, and Tracy finds them, persuades them to run, and they then become bobbleheads.  Jenny Johnson-Sardella could have been somewhat more independent, but she wasn't.  So Rafael is fairly standard Tracy Truppman material.  Tracy demands to control everything.  For a little while, it appeared that maybe Will Tudor had developed some independence, but he's surrendered it.  He's back to being Mama's good boy.  So Tracy only needs one more bobblehead, and I'm guessing this is where Rafael comes in.

I've known Ginny O'Halpin, at a distance, for several years.  I don't know her well.  I don't know when she and her late husband moved here, but they alternated their time between here and one or two other places for at least a few years.  As best I know, Ginny is here full time now.  Ginny is not involved with the Village.  She has not been on any regular boards (she might have been on one or two ad hoc committees), and she does not generally come to meetings.  In that sense, she looks, superficially, like Tracy, Jenny, Will, or Betsy.  Or Rafael.  Except I do know Ginny at least a little, and she's a very nice person.  And as often as I've spoken to her, which isn't often, she always seemed to care about the Park.  And Chuck has confidence in her.  But there's a really weird factor about Ginny, and it cements my confidence in her candidacy: Milt Hunter.  Milt Hunter?  Yes, Milt Hunter.  The rumor I heard is that it was Milt Hunter who persuaded Ginny to run.  So, who cares what Milt Hunter thinks about anything, including who should run for Commission?  That's what you're asking yourself, right?  It's a good question.  And let me tell you the answer.  As best I understand, Milt Hunter hates my guts.  I have guesses as to why he does, but he never said.  We used to be "friends," but then, he suddenly hated my guts.  So we weren't friends any more.  And as part of his declaration of enemyship, he dedicated himself to keeping me from getting re-elected to the Commission.  Milt worked very, very hard to get Tracy Truppman and her then two stooges elected.  He couldn't think about anything else, and he couldn't think straight.  He was in a blind frenzy to do anything he could to get Tracy et al elected.  And he succeeded.  But then, poor Milt Hunter came to realize he had made a really big mistake in getting Tracy/Jenny/Will elected to the Commission.  He's railed furiously against them since.  And against Betsy Wise.  (Funny, and sad, enough, on top of whatever Milt was so mad at me about before, he then got even more mad at me, because I didn't defeat his efforts to get Tracy elected.  This is what I mean about a blind frenzy.  Mrs Bonadies, my high school calculus teacher, used to ask students who got certain things wrong "Are you deaf, dumb, blind, and stupid, Mr_____?"  And you have to read that with a southern accent.)  All Milt wants-- now-- is to displace Tracy and her domination over the Village.  So if Milt Hunter got Ginny O'Halpin to run, then that tells me something about whence Ginny is coming, and what she wants.  And doesn't want.  And that's what I need to know right now.

I'm very happy to vote for Mac Kennedy.  I'm going to campaign for him.  I hope I hear something from Ginny O'Halpin, and assuming I get confirmation of what I already suspect about her, I'll be happy to vote for her, and campaign for her, too.  Rafael Ciordia?  No.


8 comments:

  1. By the way, just to remind, the high vote-getter of the three candidates will finish Betsy Wise's term, which will have just under three years left on it. The second highest vote-getter will finish Jenny Johnson-Sardella's term, which will have just under one year left on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird, but hey, who knows. Linda Dillon says maybe the candidates are listed in alphabetical order of first names. Could be. That is, in fact, true of the order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More rumors: it is now said that it was not Milt Hunter, but some Councilwoman from NMB who suggested to Ginny that she run. What a Councilwoman from NMB has to do with Ginny O'Halpin, or why such a person would think Ginny, who has not been active with the Village, should try to become a Commissioner, was not made clear. But none of this detracts from my point that if Ginny got approval from Milt Hunter, then Milt, who no longer favors Tracy, does not think Ginny would be a Tracy bobblehead/stooge, which was all I wanted to know.

    Then, I'm told that Rafael Ciordia does not necessarily know Tracy, but his partner, Eddie Bridges, is the brother of our one-time building department officer, Jeannie Bridges, whom we all liked. This connection is perhaps hopelessly thin, since there is no reason to think Jeannie Bridges, who does not live and no longer works in BP, would care who the Commissioners are, and if she did, her direct connection is with her brother, who is not a candidate, and it's still true that Rafael Ciordia has never been active in any way in the Village (nor has Eddie Bridges), so there is no connection. However, I'm further told that Rafael, or Eddie, knows Krishan Manners, who is deeply and hopelessly devoted to Tracy Truppman, and who might, thin though the connection is, have suggested either Eddie or Rafael as Commission candidates. We're then left with the same question we should have had about Tracy Truppman, Jenny Johnson-Sardella, Will Tudor, and Betsy Wise, which is why any of them, who never took any interest in the Village (except Jenny, with respect to one ad hoc committee), would want to be on the Commission, or think they could get elected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fred,
    To answer a few questions and address a rumor or two.
    I believe that the person that persuaded Ginny to run is the NMB Councilwoman, who was her neighbor in NMB, this is the connection. But the best person to ask is Ginny. As it happens, Rox met the Councilwoman at one of the training seminars for Elected Municipal Government officials back in 2010 and they have occasionally kept in touch over the years. It's a small world, what can I say. She strikes me as intelligent, as well as, direct and to the point. I like those kind of people as you know.

    I’m fairly certain that Eddie Bridges and Jeannie Bridges are not related.

    I have heard that Rafael is a big fan of Krishan, this info needs to be further explored. He has had little involvement in BP, but he is on my Crime Watch list and occasionally comes to meetings. I have spoken to them when I see them from time to time around the Village, as I do with most people I know, they are pleasant to speak to and to the best of my knowledge have stayed out the local politics till now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Chuck, this gets into a slightly different conversation. To address your second paragraph, I only reported a rumor as it was told to me. If it's wrong, it's wrong.

      The other issue, though, is the candidacies of Ginny and Rafael. Ginny strikes you as intelligent, and someone you like, and she strikes me the same way. Rafael is a complete unknown, except maybe he's not unknown to Krishan. But the issue for me, about both of them, is why either one of them would want to be a Commissioner, or why either of them would think they would be capable of doing a good job. Why would anyone want to enter government, if s/he had no familiarity with the place to be governed or with the procedures of governing? Of course, both of them are familiar, in the sense that they live here, but neither is involved, unless Ginny was, as I wondered, on an ad hoc board.

      And on the other side of it, there's a lot more I could say about Mac. I didn't bother to point out his intelligence, or his hard work and the care he takes, or his focus on positive results. All of that is true, but it is not my main interest for this upcoming election. This election is about removing power and toxic domination from Tracy Truppman, and anyone I think is disposed to do that is my candidate. I'm totally sure of that regarding Mac, and I would like to think so about Ginny. I'm a little surprised she hasn't kept me in some sort of loop, unless that's the influence of Milt, but everything I know about her suggests she will confront and contain Tracy, and that's my only goal for the January election. Everything I know and have heard about Rafael suggests he will not do that, which is why I wouldn't vote for him. Either one of them is welcome to reach out to me-- and they both should-- and I can change my mind, depending on what I come to believe.

      Delete
  6. Just to clarify my comments above, it should read that Ginny strikes me as intelligent, as well as, direct and to the point.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ginny was on one ad hoc Committee that I remember to advise the Manager to recommend a selection for Police Chief, by the way the top pick ended up being Luis Cabrera. But that was before our Manager Sharon was run out of the Village by Tracy and she trashed that recommendation.

    I know that Ginny has provided some background, she worked in Nassau County, NY in the Sheriff’s Office for over 20 years, at the end of her Career she was a Deputy Undersheriff. I understand this is similar to a Deputy Police Chief. So, Ginny has a background in Public Service, and she ended up in a high position in that Office. Since she has a public service background, that may explain why she wants to get more involved. There is one good way to find that out.

    I guess we will find out more about Rafael if he meets with us.

    ReplyDelete