Saturday, June 30, 2018

I Got a Beef With PETA and Mercy For Animals


I have tremendous respect and affection for animals.  I appreciate all of them, the human ones and the non-human ones.  I think all animals should live as nature intended, if nature intends anything.  I don't tell other people how to live, and I don't try to exert power over the ways non-human animals live.

I donate, automatically and every month, to PETA and Mercy For Animals.  I agree with them when they try to confront the mistreatment of animals.  Those two organizations and I diverge over only two issues.  Both organizations are strong advocates of vegan diets for human animals.  I, however, accept that animals eat other animals, and people eat other animals.  I have restricted to a vegan diet in the past, and it was fine, but I decided that I could be ethical and merciful to animals without so restricting.  What I do is try to restrict to eating meat from animals that were treated ethically and mercifully during their lives, and killed humanely.  I don't say PETA and MFA are wrong.  And there have been deeply revered thinkers and philosophers who agreed with them.  I admit I do not exist on the very highest possible ethical plane, when it comes to eating animals.  I accept my own failing, and I hope that the caveat I impose is in some sense good enough.  But I do acknowledge the lapse.

The other area where PETA and MFA and I diverge is about the domestication of animals.  I think it's rank cruelty.  I think it's inexcusable.  I have asked both organizations to adopt as part of their overall mission a crusade against the domestication of animals.  They won't do it.  PETA's position (excuse?) is that the animals people domesticate have been bred so that they are incapable of living without the stewardship of human owners.  What a load...!  Even if you could try to make that argument about Yorkshire terriers and maybe pomeranians, you couldn't really make it about any other animal people domesticate.  And PETA and MFA do advocate against "puppy mills," pet store animals, and, up to a point, breeding in general.  So, up to a point, they get it.  But they won't pull the real trigger.  And if you want to know if I think PETA and MFA members and staff have domesticated animals themselves, yeah, I think they do.  I think they think they love animals, and they love, and show love to, their pets.  At that point, they stop getting it.  It's like the time several months ago that Donald Trump or one of his people said slavery wasn't bad, because the slaves were treated well.  Setting aside that that isn't remotely true, no normal person would have any trouble recognizing what was wrong with slavery, even if the slaves had been treated well.

I was out walking this morning, and I encountered a man with two Siberian huskies.  It was about 8:10.  We had a brief conversation about his two beautiful dogs, and it was he who mentioned how much they don't like the "humidity."  He takes them out early, to avoid it.  (He was a bit late today.  I guess it wasn't convenient for him to take them out earlier.)  I assume that means he walks/relieves them twice a day, before it gets "humid," and after it's not so "humid" any more.  This is the life he, or anyone, thinks dogs want?  Never mind that they get spayed/neutered, "docked," and whatever else people want to do to them.  And sent to "obedience school."  They have to be "trained" to be obedient to whom?  Why?  Large dogs, bred for the life of Siberia (isn't that that place people always say is so cold?), kept in Miami (isn't that that place people always say is so hot?), and cooped up inside all day.  (He also told me-- he told me, like he heard it said!-- that people think these dogs, these Siberian huskies, are supposed to be outside.  Wrong, he said.)  Raise your hand if you allow yourself to urinate twice a day, early in the morning, and after dinner time.  No?  And his parting explanation to me was "It's like with any dog: it depends how you train them."  If you can "train" a large and thick-coated dog to stay inside in a hot environment all day, and urinate twice a day, then it must be OK.  Like if you can "train" a slave to work in the fields all day, and not to run away, then it must be OK. 

Is there anyone who hates animals more than a pet owner?  Dogs, cats, birds, fish, or whatever.  It's a terribly cruel way to treat animals.  PETA and MFA should know that better than I do.



13 comments:

  1. Well Fred, we finally agree on something. I, however, do have animals in my home but I have realized that I am not perfect in my search for the "right" path regarding animals other than human. I do agree somewhat with PETA about the non human animal being bred over many years to be subject to humans, but I do not agree with it 100%. I do believe that as a result of the structure of our society it is totally beyond me as to how this could be rectified. I have thought about this for many, many years. Several years ago I got involved with helping out in the local horse community and I was appalled at that situation. I believe completely that humans have absolutely no business in keeping horses in particular, but I agree with you about the other non human animals. I actually get pretty creeped out by fish in tanks. This is an issue that I think about regularly and I admit that it makes me very sad that I feel helpless in changing it.

    I have been a vegetarian for more than 30 years and try to go vegan mostly when I eat out. I actually prefer vegan food although I don't think it is actually better for my system. It is basically impossible to go completely animal free in our society without going off and living in the woods somewhere, although I do fantasize about that idea sometimes.

    I believe that in my life I have been an agent for change in my continued commitment to animal rights issues in a very, very small way because I have been an influence in others' lives who have been exposed to my ideas. This is all I can hope for regarding this issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the thoughtful response. It's not an easy issue. I recognize my failing, and you recognize yours, and if we're not to be purists, the least we can do is admit our hypocrisy. You are the only pet owner I have ever known who has admitted that owning a pet is in any way faulty.

      Animals have not been bred to be subject to humans. They are raised ontologically (not phylogenetically) to be subject to humans. If you take any new profusion (litter, or whatever else) of any animal you like, and let them be raised by their parents, instead of by you, they will not naturally favor you. To get them to do that, you have to deprive them of what they really want, which is creatures like themselves, provide for them, and control them through training to adhere to you. And even if you do all that, you won't be able to leave your front door open without fear that they will run away.

      Fish in tanks, and birds in cages? Infuriating!

      I have a childhood friend who is a dietician and who has restricted to a vegan diet for close to 50 years. He swears by it, including the health threats from dairy. (You can look him up. His name is George Eisman. I'm sure he's published.) I agree about those. The other thing is that as badly as animals raised for slaughter for meat are treated in factory settings, dairy animals are treated worse. That goes for hens kept for laying, too.

      Keep up the great work. And thanks again.

      Fred

      Delete
    2. By the way, BrambleWitch, I do not restrict my animal consumption for my own benefit. I do believe that dairy is largely toxic, but I have less confidence that eating flesh is harmful. I restrict for the sake of the animals. And if I go back to restricting to a vegan diet, which I do from time to time, it's for the same reason.

      Fred

      Delete
  2. Excellent and thought-provoking blog post, Fred. You mentioned fish in tanks. I am reminded of when I was a child, and people carried goldfish home in small cardboard cartons analogous to Chinese food containers. The fish were purchased at Woolworth. I cried then. I cry now.

    Judith Marks-White

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or they won them at carnivals, and carried them home in very small plastic bags. I wonder how many people arrived home with dead fish, or flushed live ones down the toilet after they decided they weren't that interested after all.

      Delete
    2. I still can’t pass a fish-tank without cringing. Aquariums make me shudder.

      Judith

      Delete
    3. Forgive me for this, but it's aquaria.

      Delete
  3. One of my friends, the owner of two dogs, has written to me privately to establish reassurance that I do like her dogs. I don't like or dislike any domesticated animals in particular. I don't even individually dislike the aggressive ones. They're aggressive, because it's their nature, and/or because they are trained to be aggressive, for the owner's protection. It's true I don't like the look of many beasts, and I don't like the sound of them, and the hair and other debris, and the inconvenience. But it's not personal. I just would not be a good and loving pet owner, if I wanted a pet. Which I don't. The issue is that I think owning (domesticating, controlling, limiting, frustrating, maiming, removing from its preferred context) an animal is wrong. And I admitted I'm hypocritical, because I find a way to excuse my meat consumption. Animals don't want to be killed for their meat, either. The only thing I can say in my pathetic defense is that absent "me," animals (uncontrolled and unprotected cows, pigs, etc) would be mauled to death and torn limb from limb by some other animal. I'm guessing that if they had the brain power, they'd prefer "me." Interestingly, there seems to be a problem, mostly in the midwest, with wild pigs/boars. They're voracious and highly aggressive. There's a movement to limit them by killing them. In one of Michael Pollan's books--I think it was "The Omnivore's Dilemma"-- he talks about his own hunting expedition, in which he killed a boar in California, for the purpose of processing ("dressing") it and eating it. If he was going to eat an animal, he wanted to be a personal part of the process. Very good, Michael Pollan.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  4. And then, of course, there are the "vegetarians" who don't eat meat. Except for chicken and fish. I've told them I want to be there when they explain to the chickens and fish why cows and pigs and lambs are animals and meat, and chickens and fish are not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even get me going about "vegetarians" who eat chicken and fish. This drives me CRAZY, well, crazier than I already am. As I said before, I am certainly not perfect, I have a love of leather goods that I find disgusting but I try to only buy used, so that I am only contributing to the sale of them in a smaller way.

      I am a very loving animal person, I love them all and I love being near them but I do agree that they would all be better off being left alone. I just don't see any way that could be accomplished in this world.

      Delete
  5. Hi, you know me I am Callie Ross, a Border Collie mix, I am now approx. 1 yr. 8 months old. My Dad read me the article and since I can’t type he wrote this for me. I can’t speak for fish or other animals but only for Dogs.
    I was rescued by my Human Dad that adopted me during March, 2017 from being detained like what is happening now to those poor immigrant children. Yes, I watch the news and I have some favorite TV shows. What you left out of the story is my ancestors that descended from Wolves tens of thousands of years ago now extinct began a symbiotic relationship with Humans. We used them, and they used us. Because of this we bonded with each other over time. We are not being domesticated we have been domesticated for a long time now and we like it. I can tell you that I have a pretty pretty pretty cushy life. When I want to go out I scratch at the door, when I want to eat I bark at my Dad, when I want to play I get my ball and pretend like I’m going to give it to him and then run. So, the bottom line is I don’t have a lot of complaints, most of the time when I’m not sleeping I look out the window and watch these strange green things that look like dinosaurs in the yard and I think I’m so lucky I’m not out in that hot yard crawling around trying to find some food. If I my Dad wants me to do something I’m happy to do it, in fact I want to do it. He will tell me, ready to go out, Hell Yeah I want to go out. Want to go see some of your friends at the dog park, oh Yeah, I love seeing other Dogs and other Humans.
    If you want to know who the slave is in the family, it’s not me so look around and figure it out for yourself.

    Callie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know you Callie and I love you. I think your situation is great, just like the situation of every animal I have had the pleasure to be a slave to. I also believe that in a perfect world you would be happier with full autonomy.

      Delete
    2. Dear Callie,

      Is Callie a scandinavian name? I wonder if you're from Sweden. You seem to have Stockholm Syndrome.

      Fred

      Delete