Thursday, October 20, 2016

Harvey Bilt and I. Life, As it Should Be, in Biscayne Park.


Harvey Bilt, and his wife, Vicki, and I have been friends for some years.  I don't remember how we met, but we like each other.

Three years ago, Harvey and I both ran for Commission.  I came in third, and Harvey came in fourth, six votes behind me.  Only the top three vote-getters won seats.  I felt bad for Harvey, whom I like and who I thought would make a good Commissioner, and he was happy for me.  It changed nothing between us.

When I decided at the last minute to run again, Harvey was one of the first to accept a campaign yard sign.  I had a sense that it was his pleasure to show support, and it was certainly my honor to have support from him.

Over the course of these several weeks of the campaign season, Harvey has changed his mind about me as a Commissioner.  I don't know why, since we didn't talk about it, but apparently, he no longer thinks I've been a good Commissioner, or that I would be a good one if I had a second term.  He has said so publicly.

Harvey and I had the following e-mail conversation today:

Harvey,
You accepted from me a campaign yard sign some weeks ago, but more recently, you have made clear publicly that you don't approve of me as a Commissioner.
Can I conclude that the campaign yard sign is not still there (I haven't looked), and I should pick it back up from you?
Fred

Fred,
You are still a friend, and your sign is still displayed.
Harvey

Harvey,
As you say, and I'm glad you say it, you and I are friends.  I'm pleased and proud to have you as a friend.
But the sign is there for a very specific reason, and that reason could exist even if you and I were not friends.  It's there because I'm running for office, and your having that sign there helps me be more public, and it suggests to others that I have your support.  If I don't have your support, you are under no obligation to help me win, and you might have compelling reason not to want to give others the impression that you approve of me.  No one seeing my sign in your yard knows how much you don't approve of me as a Commissioner.
If you still want the sign there, or are simply willing to have it there, we'll leave it there, and thanks for your help.  But it has no negative impact on our friendship, or my respect for you, if you ask me to remove the sign.
Fred

To put it another way, your gesture of friendship to me is your willingness to display my sign, even though you don't think I am or would be a good Commissioner.  My gesture of friendship to you is my offer to remove a sign you probably don't want, and it does not in any way reduce my very friendly feelings for you and Vicki.
Fred

Nope, it stays.
Harvey


No comments:

Post a Comment