Wednesday, December 2, 2015

I Think I Understand, Although I'm Not Sure I Agree


At last night's Commission meeting, the subject of "McMansions" came up.  We have new construction in the Village, and some of the new structures, replacing old structures, are considered by some to be "McMansions."  The label is clearly intended to be pejorative, and the very clear implication is that those who so label these new houses don't like them.  In the discussion topic, as it was presented, one portrayal was that the new BP "McMansions" would look good in Doral or Palmetto Bay, but not in BP.  I tried to understand how that conclusion was arrived at, but I couldn't get a straight answer.

Three things should be understood, before we talk more about the new structures.  First, BP has Codes, which must be followed.  Second, some architect, knowing the Codes and having familiarized him- or herself with the Village, proposed the designs.  Third, the Planning and Zoning Board, which is sometimes frankly more restrictive, strident, and controlling than I personally like, approved the proposed structures as satisfactory with respect to the Codes, and adequately "harmonious" for the neighborhood.  That a proposed structure or addition, or even a paint color choice, should be "harmonious" with the Village is a decision P&Z are authorized to make, and it is the area over which I most often disagreed with them when I was a member of that Board.  I found them not permissive enough.  The light, then, was very green for the new structures some of us brand as "McMansions," and the last obstacle was the most restrictive of all.

I don't really know what a "McMansion" is.  The first time I heard the term used, it seemed intended to apply to new and large homes, seemingly the grandest in whatever was the neighborhood in question.  The name is clearly intended to recall McDonald's, although the connection is unclear.  Most likely, the association was to the imposition of something cookie-cutter, insubstantial, and pervasive.

During the discussion, I asked for a definition of "McMansion."  The sponsor of the discussion topic told me to "google it."  If I thought there was a definition, and that I could find out what it was, this kind of response suggested to me that there wasn't, and I couldn't.  So I asked my friend Judith, who lives in some upscale burg in Connecticut.  It seems she knows all about "McMansions," and she used words like "garish," "atrocity," "super-sized," "mass-produced," and "incongruous" (with the surrounding homes, I assume).

The Village is a unique place, and part of what makes it unique is its eclectic range of styles.  We have single story houses, and two story houses.  Our Code permits two stories, but not more.  We have old homes, and new homes.  We have Spanish style, Key West style, contemporary style, and plain old CBS.  We used to limit the color choice to white, until some brave ancestors of ours branched into off white, too.  Now, we permit many colors.  In a community like ours, it would be hard to think of a design style that was not "harmonious."  We don't do harmonious.  We do "have whatever you like, but keep it nice."  And some of us don't even do the latter.  (We're tightening that now.  We're starting to ride herd on the less fastidious of our neighbors, and some of them don't like it.  Funny enough, the current Commissioner who has been most protective and permissive when it comes to resisting a level of upkeep and property decorum is the same one who doesn't like "McMansions."  And that Commissioner, who doesn't like to control the design and upkeep preferences of BP homeowners, was quick to tell us we shouldn't be allowed to have fences or walls in front of our homes.  Go figure.)

Two properties were cited in last night's discussion.  They were considered to be the worst examples of neighborhood-destroying McMansionness.  One was what has replaced the "Larry King house," at 119th and Griffing, and the other is the super energy-efficient home on the south side of 119th Street between 8th and 9th Avenues.  As it happens, I have familiarity with each of these properties.  In about 2006 or 2007, I looked into the "Larry King house."  I was considering moving there.  But it was not a good layout.  It was disorganized, with apparently ill thought out additions, and parts that did not go together.  I passed.  A couple bought it a few years later, but they moved out.  They had wanted to add on a garage, but the property and setbacks couldn't handle it.  So the house was demolished, and there's quite the imposing two-story structure going up now.  It's still bare cinder block, and it's hard to tell what it will look like.  But whatever it is, I'm sure it will be a lot better than the house that didn't suit Larry King, or me, or the couple.  It will likely be a credit to our most upscale street.

The other property is in the block next to mine.  The new construction replaced a decrepit tear-down.  I had seen a virtual walk-through of it, and I later had an actual walk-through, when it was unfinished inside and out.  It's a magnificent property.  I made an offer, but it was not accepted.  I offered what the developer said he wanted, but by that time, he realized from recent sales that he could do much better.  It really is a spectacular home.  It's two-story.  As is the home two houses east of that one, the one catercorner from that one, and the one just east of that one.

Both sites look more imposing now than they will when they're done.  More than anything, they are partially concealed by protective tall and covered chain link fences at the front property edge.  Once those fences are gone, and the landscaping is in, I think we'll all be pleased.  Well, maybe not "all."

But in a neighborhood like the Village, it wouldn't be fair to consider these constructions "incongruous."  Every house is "incongruous," in the sense that they're all different.  These two are also unique: not at all "mass-produced."  "Garish" or atrocious?  Not to me.  "Super-sized?"  The replacement for the "Larry King house," looks like it's going to be very large.  Not too large for the lot or for the Village, according to the architect and the Village's P&Z Board.  The other house?  Roomy, but politely so.

I still don't confidently know what a "McMansion" is.  But if these two new homes qualify, I personally don't have a problem with them.  They're just part of the neighborhood.  I'd like to imagine we would come to be the kind of neighborhood in which they fit well better than poorly kept properties do.




7 comments:

  1. Hi Fred,
    Mc Mansions was a ter used to identify tracts if home that were built with an almost zero setback and that had an Hugh entrance foyer 2 or 3 stories high. The term has come to mean a house that looks too big for the property and neighborhood.
    An architect does not care what the surrounding homes are like and draws what the owner wants.
    I don't think O and Z can reject anything because of the way it looks, they are not an architectual review board and have to go by code. I am not sure if we address certain issues . Total coverage of lot and how building is situated on lot, definition of a story . Can 1 story be 49 feet high? Do we have a limit on total height of house? Do plans have to be sensitive limiting sun on a neighbors property
    I am sure there are many other issuers our code does not address.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this was typed on an iPhone

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harvey,

    Let's agree that there are no houses with zero setbacks, unless they got variances. I don't know what to do with "looks too big." Beholders' eyes?

    I'll check with some architects. I think they do take the surroundings into account. If I'm wrong, I'll correct.

    You're not the only one who thinks P&Z don't exercise aesthetic discretion. They do. I was there. They're not a formal architectural review board, but they do use such considerations when it comes to approvals. Maybe one or more of them will chime in here.

    No, we do not have a height limit on houses. Yes, one story can be 49 feet tall. No, plans do not have to be sensitive about not blocking the sun. Neither does landscaping. I can block the sun to my neighbor's house with a tall house of my own, or with tall trees.

    I was going to tell you not to drink and type, but I guess I'll just tell you not to use an iphone to type. At least not when you're drinking.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absurd discussion if they are labeling the house on 119th St. a McMansion. The living square foot of that house under air is 3100 ft.² Total square feet including garage is terraces and balconies is 4100 ft.² on a approx 13500 sq ft lot My/our house on N E. 5th Ave. is larger square footage interior and total square feet And our house is not the largest in the park. P and Z worked with the owner to modify the design from what was originally presented to what was acceped over the course of 3 meetings and a few months. The house that was here before as everyone recalls was situated 16 feet from the front setback was a dilapidated and condemned duplex. Is that what they want here is shabby mess or beautiful homes that improve the cache and tax base of the Village.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recall that a house was proposed on 6th Ave where the eco. friendly white house now stands, the P & Z board determined that the design did not fit in the neighborhood. The original design was modified by the owner. It seems the code pasted below gives the P & Z board some latitude to make that judgement.


    It seems that Watts wants to be the taste police, this is not the first time. We have a structure in place that seems to be working just fine. The houses currently under construction are adding to the value of the neighborhood. P & Z approved the designs and that works for me.

    10.3. - Architectural design.
    10.3.1
    Style and color of buildings. All principal and accessory buildings shall be of an architectural style, character and appearance, including exterior color, which will harmonize and blend in with the other buildings in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Correction, and confirmation:

    Gage Hartung, Chair of P&Z, called me late yesterday afternoon. He told me two things. First, the replacement for the old "Larry King house" is not two story. It's one story, and it has very high ceilings. So my error. I have passed this construction many times, and I just thought it was two story, because it's high. This is an example of Harvey's point.

    Second, Gage wanted to point out, as if I didn't know, and as if I hadn't stated it clearly myself, that P&Z very definitely have responsibility to make judgments as to whether a proposal for new construction or even an addition seems to them "harmonious" with the neighborhood. Whether a proposed new building is "incongruous" with the general surroundings and style here would be a deal breaker or a deal maker for P&Z, as it was for the two houses under discussion. And as Andrew, also on P&Z, points out, this specific consideration had implications for P&Z's handling of the design applications for these two very properties.

    Gage also cited to the Codes, as Chuck did, in reassuring me that P&Z has this specifically mandated prerogative. I asked Gage to post a comment here, to say what I have just said, but he hasn't done it, yet. Perhaps he will, although he might conclude I just saved him the trouble.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fred, thank you for relaying our conversation as I have not had the time to reply yet. As you and Chuck mentioned, the P&Z has a set of guidelines we must follow in the code, which we do. I would like to encourage anyone who might have concerns about the boards decisions to attend one of our meetings and speak with the us about it. We will be happy to explain the decision making process. The P&Z board meets on the first and third Mondays of the month. Gage

    ReplyDelete