Monday, November 16, 2015

Blasphemy, I Know, But I Calls 'Em As I Sees 'Em.


I used to go to the Arsht Center for one thing or another.  In the early days, I went somewhat more often, because my aunt and uncle (yes, that aunt and uncle) usher and give tours there, and they were always in possession of complimentary tickets, which were given to me.  Eventually, when the comps started to dry up, I went less often, because the Arsht charges too much for events there, and even the events I most liked were getting priced out of accessibility.  Last year, I sort of quit going for anything, unless I had to.  I even quit going to flamenco at the Arsht.  I had needed an extra seat for a Miami Symphony Orchestra concert, and they wanted too much for the add-on.  They did not respect the deal I had with MiSO, and they wouldn't even take responsibility for the charge.  They said it was MiSO that set the prices.  I know better than that.

This year, I made an exception.  There's a terrific series of classical concerts, and I decided to subscribe to the season.  With extra concerts, there are six of them.  Last night was the first one. Yo-Yo Ma was the best of an elite group of musicians, all of whom were remarkably good.  The weakest link, and not bad at all, was the tabla player.  The program was unusually interesting world music.

I could have paid more for my tickets, but more was simply too much.  It was very distinct Arsht Center pricing, and it's clear they emulate NYC when they choose prices to demand.  The whole idea is that we are not NYC-- we're just as good for much less money-- but the Arsht decision-makers seem to have lost that understanding.  I was in the front row of the first balcony, and my tickets cost $91 each.  And that was a discount, because I bought the series.

The acoustics in the Arsht Center are amazing.  That means I could hear plenty well enough from where I was.  I could not see so well, though, since it was far away.  And this was for $91.

Legroom (lack thereof) is another problem with the Arsht.  There wasn't any in the balcony.  There's a bit more in the orchestra section, but it's not what it should be, especially for that kind of money.

My companion and I got there a bit late, too.  The concert was to start at 8:00, and we got to our seats at 7:57.  Never mind that the concert didn't start on time.  We should have gotten there at least 10 minutes earlier than we did.  The usher offered us one program.  We were told they were "rationing."  For $91, to sit in the balcony.  The usher did not walk us to our seats, either.  He just pointed to the front of the balcony.  I have acrophobia, too, but it was his job to "usher" us to our seats.

I'll finish this season, and that will be it for me and the Arsht.  I'll probably have to make another exception some time.  Maybe they'll get Hiromi back, and I still have to go there if MiSO keeps performing there.  The Arsht is a wonderful venue.  They just don't treat their patrons right.


No comments:

Post a Comment