Sunday, February 15, 2015

SMDCAC Makes Me Very Happy.


I have talked before about South Miami-Dade Cultural Arts Center.  If you don't remember, it's an arts venue in Cutler Bay.  They have music and theater there.  It's 27 miles down I-95/US1 from my door to the theater.

I heard a concert there tonight.  I heard one there last night, too.  I'm there a lot.  It's very well worth the trips.  The fact is, I have never heard any concert there I didn't love.  The talent is amazing.

And the prices are low.  One of the first shows I ever saw there was Keb Mo'.  If I remember correctly, the ticket price was about $40.  It was about $70 to hear him at the Lyric Theater in Stuart the night before.  The ticket prices at SMDCAC are always low.  And parking is free.

The staff there are most unusual.  I am on friendly terms with Eric Fliss, the managing director.  I buy tickets usually from Brian or Dora.  They used to call me Mr Jonas, but now they call me Fred.   They greet me that way.  When the ticket-takers greet you, they're unbelievably friendly.  They act like you've done them a valued personal favor by coming to the theater.

And then there's the unfortunate event of a concert that can't be attended at the last minute.  I myself haven't missed any, but some of the people I go with have.  When I approach the box office to say some of the party couldn't attend, they take the tickets back, and put the value of them on my account.  I use that credit to buy other tickets.  Who does that?

Do yourself a favor, and check out smdcac.org.  Take a look at the rest of this season.  There's lots of stuff, it runs quite a range of styles and genres, and it seems unimaginable you wouldn't find something that appeals to you.  I've often attended concerts there just because they looked intriguing, and I've never been disappointed.

There's a regular auditorium, and the acoustics are excellent.  Then, there's a cabaret room where all the seating is at small tables, with food and bar service.  The closest I ever sat was with my knees touching the stage.  For about $20-$25 per ticket.  To hear great performances.

If you think I'm exaggerating, ask John Holland.  I've seen him and Elena there more than once.

This is an incredible resource for this County.  (It's a County-owned venue.) If you go, I promise you won't be sorry.


No comments:

Post a Comment