Monday, May 12, 2014

We're Not Called a Bird Sanctuary for Nothing. From Lynn Fischer

About 6 weeks ago I saw this eastern screech owl in her box, but I thought she had left.  Now she is visible every morning, attentively watching all around her. I think her young have hatched!  It's very late in the year for her to be raising a family.  And she has chosen the woodpecker house, ignoring the shaded owl house behind in the oak tree!  It is so exciting to have these special creatures in our neighborhood.  If only residents realized that when they spray their yards the insects the owls eat are poisoned, bringing death to the owls. This is our sixth eastern screech owl family!!

I decided to send this out today, with the message, for the owls.  We had so many in our Village in 1981 when we moved here.  I sent it to those at our build-a-house party, the commissioners, and the manager.  I would love to get the word out of what our spraying does to our wildlife.  But I don't want to sound preachy.  We are so fortunate here with our old growth trees to have such a wealth of diversity!



Lynn lives on the southeast corner of 10th and 117th.  "It's a jungle out there."






                                                    The 2010 owl house building "party."

9 comments:

  1. Lynn, thanks for sharing the picture and for making your grounds so welcoming to so many creatures. You and your yard are really amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those who are not familiar with Lynn's reference (the "build-a-house party"), a few years ago, we had a bird house-building event at the recreation center. Lynn's friend got the wood and cut it into the right pieces, and fasteners were provided, too. We built owl houses that day. You might see them around at various places in the Village. I have one at my house, but you can't see it, because it's in the back yard. But my neighbor has one on the tree in her front yard.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn,

    My own owl house got filled with bees, so no birds ever settled into it. But bees are needed, too, so I don't worry about it. They don't get into my house.

    Fred



    Fred,

    The bees are in my owl house, too. They've been there since fall - when I was hoping for an owl! Last year - there were bees, then they moved out, then squirrels moved in and had a family. Then the owl moved in and had her family! It was fun! This year she has chosen the woodpecker house but there's a second owl house close by. I don't know why she didn't choose that one. The bees seem to come and then move on. So far, some other creature has cleaned out "the hive" for me. Yes, I like the bees too!

    I'll look and see where the website is for building the houses. It was quite a task for Erwin and Gary (Kuhl) precutting all the wood! But it is wonderful for people to become excited over them!!!!

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Back in December, I was sitting in my "Florida room," when, from the corner of my eye, I saw a shadow move by in the back yard. I looked out, and I saw an owl perched on a piece of gutter. It was a male. Then, I saw a female, then a fledgling. One of the adults was in the bird bath, seemingly trying to demonstrate hygiene to the young'un. It wasn't working, as junior appeared to be too afraid to be out in the open that much. Eventually, the family left, and I have never seen them again.

    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sent to me via e-mail from Chester ("Doc") Morris:


    I put my [owl] house in the tree in the median. So far, no owls. But one woodpecker, I think.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do we have to talk about putting unauthorized things in the medians? (Too bad you didn't attract any owls, though. --- I didn't say that.)

      Fred

      Delete
  6. Lynn, this is a great post, and informative...... Thanks! Brad

    ReplyDelete
  7. From Linda Dillon:


    I put my owl house, which I built with the group, high up in the Ficus tree on the front corner of my property. Soon bees called it home. Without any notice, the Village had it removed. Later I was told that the bees were a threat to pedestrians and other travelers on the street. I didn’t know we had pedestrians and/or vehicles about ten feet tall. I was also told that once the bees were removed that I could get the house back. Obviously “could” and “would” are not the same. I remain disappointed, but am delighted for the others who have managed to provide shelter for various creatures of nature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda,

      That's disgraceful. I'll see what I can find out. As is clear to you, my house had bees, and so did Lynn's. I gather the difference is that your house could be seen from the street. No one should have done that to you, and certainly not have come onto your property to take your bird house.

      I'm very sorry. I'll do what I can.

      Fred

      Delete