Wednesday, February 5, 2014

About the Placement of that Zaluski...

I can tell this story by naming names or by not naming names.  I think it's easier to follow if I name names.

Last month, in Barbara Watts' absence, the Commission tasked the Manager to find a place for the Zaluski sculpture.  We reminded the Manager, Heidi Shafran, that the last time this happened, the then Manager convened a joint seating of the Parks and Parkways, Planning and Zoning, and Ecology Boards, invited the "public" (a number of whom showed up to voice opinions), and received and accepted a conclusion as to where to place the first sculpture.  It stands in Griffing Park.  Heidi did in fact convene exactly such a joint Board, a few of us non-Board members came and opined, and the joint Board unanimously decided to assign the Zaluski to the same Griffing Park.  I can confess, since it's not a secret, that Heidi hoped for placement in front of Village Hall, as did Chuck Ross, and I hoped for placement at the Recreation Center.  But we got outvoted, so to speak, and Griffing Park it was.  I think frankly that we are more satisfied with the process than we were disappointed that some of us didn't get what we wanted.  After all, Chuck and Heidi and I didn't want Griffing Park, so that's three people, one of whom doesn't live in BP, and nine Board members did want Griffing Park.

Last night at the Commission meeting, Heidi presented the conclusion to the Commission for its affirmation, or perhaps just rubber stamp.  In theory, of course, this was not necessary, since the Commission had already asked Heidi to solve a problem, or answer a question, and she did it.  Case closed(?).

Barbara Watts was, by some estimations, fit to be tied.  She didn't dislike the sculpture, or at least she seemed to suggest she didn't dislike it, but she disliked extremely the decision to place it in Griffing Park.  She had a couple of reasons, the most relevant and salient of which was that the subject matter of the sculpture lent itself to the Recreation Center.  You're preaching to the choir with me, there, Barbara.  David Coviello similarly thought the piece was a natural for the Rec Center.  Roxy Ross was a bit on the fence, feeling Village Hall was a charming spot for the piece, but noting the joint Board had made the statement it was asked to make.  Bob Anderson liked Griffing Park, which he also suggested should be set aside as an "art park."

I've already said that I think we are in a special position to have and generously use and elevate resident Boards, and that my inclination would always be to act in accordance with what our Boards recommend, absent some overpowering reason to ask them to reconsider.  Having a different opinion or different taste is not, in my opinion, an overpowering reason.  So I said I agreed with Barbara and David, that the most natural-seeming placement, and the one I prefer, would be the Rec Center, but that the process by which (Griffing Park) placement was chosen had been perfect, and I would under no circumstances vote for anything but to affirm the joint Boards' conclusion.

At this point, Barbara turned to me and asked if I was saying that I would vote for the Boards' conclusion, even though I personally thought some other conclusion was better.  Correct.  Dave asked if I wouldn't rather urge a more "optimal" placement, which was roughly the same question as Barbara's.  I pointed out that my opinion is not more "optimal" than the Boards'.  It's just different.  It's no more than my opinion.  If opinions can be right or wrong, how do I know who's right and who's wrong?  I had my reasons, and they had theirs.  We all said what we thought.

I accepted being outvoted by our joint Boards.  There were nine members.  They all live here, just like I do.  Some of them donated to prior sculptures, and some will most likely donate to the Zaluski.  So they all care.  They all agreed with each other.  Now, I'm given an opportunity to out-muscle them, by invoking the power of the Commission, of which there are only five members, one of whom agrees with the joint Boards anyway.  I would decline such an opportunity every time.

I'm very happy to report that Roxy and David changed their minds about the chance to set aside the conclusion of the joint Boards.  Bob already agreed with the Boards.  So four of us voted to support the opinions of nine of our neighbors, who are devoted members of our volunteer Boards.  That's the way it should be.  Unless it could be argued that it should have been all five of us.

Board members are chosen by the Commissions, and they are entrusted with a serious responsibility in Biscayne Park.  As they are entrusted, they should be trusted.  Some of us didn't get our way?  Not exactly big news.  I realize all of this sounds pedantic, and I'm sorry for that, but it's a point I made when I was running, and I will take every opportunity to reiterate and demonstrate it.

5 comments:

  1. Once again this is the case of one complaining after the fact, again. There was a joint meeting of several boards to discuss the placement of the Zaluski sculpture as Fred stated. “This meeting” would have been the proper forum for ANY and ALL residents to voice their opinions, concerns and complaints, whatever.

    As mentioned, there was a clear process utilized in determining the location, that being that it was perceived to lessen the potential liability for the Village in placing it where children will not be as present to avoid possible injury. If I remember correctly, Commissioner Watts has previously also ignored possible injury/liability issues in her desire to Champion sickly trees. So certainly we see a trend here.

    For the record I was also outvoted in my (somewhat selfish) desire to see it erected in front of Village Hall. As one who attended said meeting, I was satisfied with the outcome after the rather lengthy discussion.

    The underlying problem as I see it is that this is not the first time Commissioner Watts has asked for board assistance/advice and then attempted to overturn it after the fact. This is, in my opinion a direct slap to the face of those residents volunteering their time and efforts to serve our Community. They deserve better than to be second guessed other than over some extreme circumstance. And this does not qualify as one.

    I would suggest for Commissioner Watts to perhaps be a little more proactive instead of reactive in future. Attending these meetings in question would be a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, many of us were not at the placement meeting, and in retrospect should have been there. Why place a sculpture for public viewing in a location that does not have parking, and is not walker friendly..... isn't this common sense? The idea is to actually create a space that people may want to walk up to, and actually view the piece, not a drive by art show at 35MPH. Let's take some more time and reconsider this decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brad,

      If it makes you feel any better, the speed limit is 30.

      One piece was already installed in that park, and it's certainly most likely others will be, too. Maybe the point you make will lead to our doing something with that park, to make it more "walker-friendly." Maybe we'll devote the border along Griffing to parking, and maybe we'll add more benches and a walking path. Maybe we'll become insistent that the State create the crosswalks they told us were not in the plans.

      Are you on a Board? You should be. You have every bit of what it takes.

      Fred

      Delete
  3. I agree with Brad and others that Griffing Park is a far-from-optimal location for anything enjoyable for the vast majority BP residents. First, it's on a far perimeter of the village, and the lack of walkways/sidewalks (I realize this is a current topic of discussion) makes it dangerous and unpleasant to get to. Being immediately adjacent to a relatively busy road is also not a peaceful area to enjoy walking around sculptures. If we could remedy the crosswalk/sidewalk issue, that's a start, but the perimeter location and the road noise will always be a deterrent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian,

      Just to highlight what I believe is your point, it sounds like you're saying not only that Griffing Park is not the best place for this particular sculpture, but that nothing of interest should be displayed there, because Griffing Park is inadequately accessible. It's not a central, convenient place. As Brad notes, and he wasn't the only one, it's not even a pleasure to see Griffing Park and its contents while you're driving by in the car. It just happens too fast.

      It's good to know that you think improving access could contribute, at least in part, to a "remedy," and maybe you and Brad and some others will have provided impetus for us to take further development of Griffing Park as a concerted project for BP. Since Bob Anderson sees Griffing Park as an "art park," I'm guessing he would agree, too. Please let the other Commissioners, and the members of Parks and Parkways, and Heidi, know how you feel. A good idea, coming from an interested and dedicated resident, is how it starts, about anything.

      And thanks for your unwavering attention and devotion. I'm humbled and grateful that you read this blog. You are of course more than welcome to use it to post your own thoughts, not just to comment on mine or someone else's. Do you have time to be on one of the Boards? The general application is at Village Hall, and you can attend meetings of any of the individual Boards to see which ones are most interesting to you.

      Fred

      Delete