Thursday, January 16, 2014

I'm Taking a Poll, and I Need Your Vote: Sanitation.

We pay about $575 per year per dwelling to collect and remove our garbage and trash.  In reality, we should pay more than that, because we did not make provision for repair and replacement of equipment and vehicles.  By my rough calculation, we should correct that oversight by an emergency one time assessment now of $225 per dwelling, and then add $25 per dwelling per year from now on to the approximately $575 per dwelling per year.

The question has been raised as to whether it is "better" for us to continue to operate, and pay for, our own independent system of solid waste management, or we should outsource this municipal function.  The common theory is that it would be cheaper for us to outsource.  The matter has not received careful study, and adherents of this theory do not know and cannot yet know how much cheaper it would be.  In fact, the questions are just now being asked in detail, and the answers will be presented at the February Commission meeting.  (Come to the meeting.)

The result will be either that it is cheaper for us to outsource, it costs the same as we're paying now, or it is more expensive to outsource.  I assume there would be no disagreement that if it cost us the same or more to outsource, then we would not choose to do it.   So for purpose of discussion, let's assume it would be cheaper to outsource.  And again, we do not at present know how much cheaper it would be.

The decision then rests on how we balance two preferences.  One is the preference to save money, and the other is the preference to have "in house," personalized service.  Just to illustrate, one of my friends assumes we would save money by outsourcing (although he has no idea how much we might save), and he considers it a "no-brainer" that we should outsource.  Another of my friends says he likes the service we provide ourselves, and he would rather pay more to keep it.  So two completely opposite conclusions.  One would rather save money where possible, and the other would rather pay a premium for specialized service.

At the February Commission meeting, there will be comparison and discussion of the costs and other intangible factors regarding solid waste management.  It's possible there will be a motion to vote for one system or the other.  More likely, such a vote would be delayed slightly for more community input.  I'm only guessing, because I have no way to know.  What I do know is that we have two expensive trucks that need imminent replacement, and we cannot wait long to decide either to come up with the money to replace them, or to transfer the responsibility and the entire collection system to some outside company: to outsource.  At some level, this decision cannot wait.  At least it cannot wait long.

Let's then consider that we might save money with outsourcing of sanitation.  Again for purpose of discussion, let's imagine it would be enough money to talk about.  For example, let's imagine that we could find someone who would charge us $450 per dwelling per year instead of the $600 per dwelling per year we should be paying, with an added $225 per dwelling we should pay right now to keep our service "in house."  Obviously, I'm completely guessing about the $450, but we need some kind of basis for the question.

If you could pay enough less to talk about, to outsource sanitation, and in exchange you would lose "our guys" and the level of service we now have ("our guys" will come to your side yard to get your containers, and they'll replace them there; an outsourced company most likely will not), what would you prefer to do?

And to make this question a bit more interesting, let me give you two other examples.  One is the example of a Griffing resident who complains that our median maintenance company (we outsourced that a few years ago) makes a racket by cutting the grass at 7:00 on Saturday mornings, when the resident would like to be sleeping.  A BP crew would not be working on Saturday mornings, and they would not be awakening residents with very early AM grass-cutting anyway.  There's too much of a personal connection for them, or their supervisors, to do that.  There's a feeling of personal accountability.  Similarly, we outsource recycling to Miami Shores.  Have you found that the plastic recycling bins get tossed around in such a way that they break before long, and you either have to tape them up, or request replacement bins?  The recycling guys are not accountable to us, and it appears Miami Shores doesn't really mind if they're frequently called upon to replace broken bins.

So please vote.  You can leave a comment in the comment section, or you can e-mail me your vote.  I'll tabulate the votes, and I'll let you know what we're all thinking.  At some point, I myself will be called upon to vote, and I'd rather vote for what you want than for what I want, or for what I imagine you might want, or what I might think you should want.  So tell me what you want.  I will of course get back to you when I know what outsourcing will actually cost.  I just want to have a preliminary position if I can.  If it entirely depends on the unknown fact, the actual cost of outsourcing, just say so, and we'll all wait.


Correction: I am informed that the Commission discussion which will include proposals from outside companies will not occur at the February meeting.  It might be a subsequent special meeting, or it might be the March meeting.  The general question remains, however, as to whether you would in theory prefer to save money or preserve our "in house" sanitation service.  The understanding now is that neither you nor I know how much money we might save.

12 comments:

  1. Great post, Fred. It's unfortunate that the village didnt pre-plan for the eventual need to replace aging service trucks. Anyway, unless the difference is REALLY big (like half), I'd prefer to keep the service we have and pay for it as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would prefer to keep the service in house . Our guys are great. The only way I would vote for outsourcing is if the difference was really big.
    Michele Lewis

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, also, prefer to keep the service in house. I am concerned about what happens to "Our Guys". Will they lose their
    jobs?? Adding more people to the unemployed list!! They do more than just pick up stuff. They know us and watch.
    out for suspicious things. They pass out flyers for the Village. And they will do a little extra if asked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way things are around here and if i have to work a little harder to Keep our Guys around here so be it.I have lived here in BP since 1999 and have never seen a better service . Please vote to keep Biscayne Park Cleaner use our own Trucks and Men. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not understand why we need so many police vehicles however on another note.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, who is pushing for this outsourcing? We voted some years ago to keep our garbage collection in-house. Maybe there should be some kind of house mail poll on this issue, after they hear all the different proposals; but for my money, I would keep what we have and upgrade the vehicles with a special one time assessment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fred,

    With regard to the solid waste discussion that you posted, my opinion is that unless we could save at least as much money per household as you "what if"ed, then I would like to keep that service in house. I very often put out a lot of tree and shrub cuttings, I keep it to under 2 cubic yards, but those are very compacted yards. (I make a science out of getting the most in the least space). The pick up crew always picks it up and they rake up very well afterwards. They are a great team of guys. I would imagine that some of them have been working for the Park for a long time. Actually is there any info on that?

    And yes, our recycling bin has gotten broken been replaced and gotten damaged again. I don't think that it is from getting hit by cars. It probably gets mishandled by the Miami Shores pickup crew.

    I think that its great that you are informally polling the residents, at least the ones on your mailing list, about this issue. I would like to see this happen more often on other issues. It gives the residents a chance to give their input in an ongoing basis, and not just at commission meetings.

    Frank Brown

    ReplyDelete
  8. If outsourcing Sanitation is all about the money we would save then why not think about outsourcing the police department too. We could eventually outsource the Village Manager and Clerk. Other cities have done it. I chose to live in Biscayne Park because of those services even though I knew I would be paying more in taxes. We spent years trying to get a nice Public Works structure built because we wanted to keep it in-house. We're not going to fall apart because we need two trucks or our expenses have gone up. What doesn't cost more money today. Give the community some credit. No one is going to lose their house because of a one time fee to purchase new trucks or a raise in garbage fees.

    I don't know where this outsourcing wave is coming from either. We have the best Public Works employees in Dade County and the best Police Dept. Our Public Works men know every home and help keep us safe. I'm getting a little tired of solving every problem by looking at the bottom line and firing people who have been with you for years. That great bottom line other companies will give you today will be escalating in the future too.

    I never hear anyone who is unhappy with Sanitation and they deserve our support.



    ReplyDelete
  9. Fred,

    Thank you for asking for input. I have always truly loved our public works employees. It is now 33 years that we have lived here. They have always been one of the best parts of our community - friendly, helpful, concerned. I have always treasured them and the service they give. The only concern I have is that we, as a Village, do not adequately provide for them. I have heard (I do not know) that their wages are minimal. I think they need to know how much we appreciate them and be fairly compensated. I am totally against outsourcing; it is against the community spirit that we all sought when we chose Biscayne Park. Thanks!

    Lynn Fischer

    ReplyDelete
  10. I lean heavily towards keeping what we have, including the methods of collection. Having said that, I want to hear a full breakdown of the $250.00 one time assessment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not an assessment at this point. It was only my rough estimate of what an assessment could, and in my opinion should, be. We have two trucks to replace. If we get trucks like the ones we have, and not the ones with the arm that lifts containers and deposits the contents in the truck automatically, they cost about $120K each. So that's two for about $240K. With about 1300 homes, I made a rough estimate (I did not bother to calculate it) that each home would have to contribute about $225 once to buy the two trucks. But since you want something more exact, I just calculated it, and it's actually only about $185 per home. That's one time, to buy two trucks now. We can finance or lease trucks, but with our finances, we should not be looking to increase costs, like by adding debt service to a purchase. In any case, so this doesn't happen again, I suggest we calculate the cost of sanitation and add something to it every year, so there is a growing balance available when our new trucks need replacement, or repair along the way. The alternative is that we don't do that, but instead we assess again when we have to replace again. But I don't think people like sizable assessments. I think they would prefer to pay a small amount extra every year and not think about it. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.

      Fred

      Delete
  11. For some unknown reason(s) our guys do not pick up my garbage or trash by the side of my house; so, when I remember, I put out everything at the street. I figure perhaps it is because my driveway is extra long. Anyway, I don’t really mind as I can use the exercise setting everything out by the street four times a week, which includes the recyclable stuff. And speaking of the recycling by Miami Shores, you are absolutely right there. I have found my bin (put my house number on it) in front of a neighbor’s on more than one occasion. Twice it had to be replaced because it was so badly damaged that I could not carry it to the street, and once it disappeared completely and Bernard had to find me another one. Now I often have to leave the car running in the middle of the street, get out, and move the bin in order to pull into the driveway. When our guys pick up the garbage, they politely turn the empty can over and set it on the swale, where it waits until I get home and can put it away. I would not like having to pay more, but I am willing to do so (within reason) to have the service the way it is now.

    Linda Dillon

    ReplyDelete