Saturday, May 11, 2013

Yes, It Was Too Good to be True.

This is a follow-up to the "Even Less Power to You..." post (4/8/13).  The fact is, I went ahead with two parts of the plan.  I got the NASA insulation, and I contracted for the solar hot water heater.  The insulation was installed a few weeks ago, and I was trying to move the solar hot water heater ahead.  I'm getting a new roof, and it's better for the roofer, and the roof, if the supports for the panel are in place before the roof is finished.

I received confirmation from FPL about the available incentive: $1000.  They're just waiting to know the job is complete.  But I was starting to wonder about the incentives for the insulation.  I called and spoke with Todd Thomas.  He might be the bad cop.  It's not clear.  But he's presented as in charge of installations, while Paul Buzzella is in charge of sales.  I asked Todd where my incentives are for the insulation.

Todd has a different understanding of this arrangement than Paul does.  Todd says there are no incentives per se, but the incentive is that the electric bill is lower.  I explained that this is starkly contrary to what Paul uses as a selling point, and I even read him Paul's comment on the contract, that "All incentives must be sent in."  Then Todd changed course, and he said the federal government incentives, those incentives he had just told me don't exist, amount to 30% of the job.  And then there's the FPL incentive that was confirmed.  So I'd be left with only a partial bill...  And I stopped listening when he launched into something about a balance that I would pay off at 1%.  One percent interest?  Who knows.  Who cares.

Todd had called to tell me he was going to be late for the meeting he scheduled with me today, to iron out our misunderstanding, but at this point he said he wasn't coming at all.  He was cancelling the solar hot water heater for me.  Besides, he asked me what my electric bills are, as Paul had, and my answer convinced him that I use so little electricity that there was little to save.  This program isn't intended for people like me.

What about paying for the NASA insulation, and the "incentives" it appears I'm not really getting, I asked.  "Happy Birthday," replied Todd.

So I can't really recommend this program.  Do the energy improvements work?  I have no idea.  Maybe for some.  But the pitch is not straightforward.  I can't prove it's honest.  It is not free of charge, as the salesman advertises.  The come-on was absolutely too good to be true.  If you're a bigger electricity user than I am, and it's worth something to you to consider it anyway, just realize you will pay something, maybe up to about 60% of the cost.  And Sun Star Energy will tell you you'll be glad you did, because your electricity bills will go down.

No comments:

Post a Comment