Saturday, April 27, 2013

Me Want Cookie. But Cue Up the "Jaws" Music.

I broke down a few days ago.  I try to resist Publix-brand Chocolate Trinity ice cream, and ginger snaps to go with it, and I'm usually moderately successful.  But not this past week.  It was night time, and I went where I go: the Publix on 6th Avenue at 128th Street.  It's closer than the one in Miami Shores, and the one at Biscayne and 126th, and I just like it.  (I know Gaspar Gonzalez likes the Miami Shores store, but he's more high class than I am.)  I especially like the people who work there, and I most especially like "Early," who is the seafood manager.  How that guy is not the manager of the whole store is beyond me.  He told me he used to work making food at some upscale place downtown, but he settled into doing what he's doing now, about 30 years ago.  And the woman who makes tiny plates of food in front of the bakery and deli.  What a desperately charming person.  It's like it's her greatest personal pleasure to give you this little plate, with a taste of this, a taste of that, a less-than-bite-size helping of salad, and a scrap of dessert.  And if you like it, she has recipes that encourage you to buy stuff from the store.  And the guy in produce.  A first class gentleman.  This is why I can't stay out of that Publix, and it's part of why I have to go there for my occasional Chocolate Trinity and ginger snaps fix.  (I really only wanted Stauffer's ginger snaps, but while I was looking for it, I stumbled onto Murray's and Archway, and I decided I had to compare all three.)  I used to go to Costco for a while, but I decided I like Publix better, that Publix, and I don't care if the deals aren't quite as good.  At least you don't have to pay to be a member of Publix.

So what's the problem, right?  On May 1, our area goes big time.  At the corner of Biscayne and 122nd, where Office Depot used to be, Whole Foods has its opening.  Or, as Tim Horner calls it, Whole Paycheck.  That's what it costs to shop there.  There are the three Publix stores I mentioned, and one a little further up Biscayne (about 140th), and now the big dog, or the big shark, threatens to put a dent in their business.  I wonder if it will even put one of them out of business.  I guess we'll see.

Now I have to say, I do like Whole Foods.  It's the same as Wild Oats, which I think it owns, and Fresh Market, which is on Biscayne at 170-something.  These are beautiful stores.  They have very good selections of food that's more upscale than Publix carries.  The produce is better, and there's a sizable choice of organics, more than at Publix.  The meat section is top notch.  Well, if Proper Sausages is the real top, which it is, then Whole Foods, etc, run second.

So Whole Foods is coming.  I'll stop in, but it will never be my go-to store.  They sell certain brands you won't find elsewhere.  And I'll always be a bit curious.  Janey Anderson says the last Biscayne Times had a Whole Foods grand opening coupon, so if you still have your copy, or you can get another one, you might as well make life easier for yourself, at least the first time.  And besides, you might see Gaspar there.  He says he never sees any of us at the Shores Publix, and I'm sure he'll make himself seen at Whole Foods.

No comments:

Post a Comment