Wednesday, July 6, 2011

More Power to Us?

I'm at a very early phase with this comment, because I'm not sure what to expect.  Various streets and avenues in the Village are going to be outfitted with new power poles.  The old ones are wood, brown, and comparatively low.  The new ones are concrete, light grey, and higher than the old ones.  And because the new ones are stronger, there will be fewer of them than there are of the old poles along the route where they will be placed.

One of those routes is 119th Street, which is where I live.  If I can assume those three short wood stakes with the white flags and the writing indicate where the new poles will go (which is what I've been told), there will be one directly in front of my house.  The marker poles are within the property.  I'm guessing the new pole won't be.  I imagine it will be in the swale, where the old pole is.  This would be good, because it will mean no trees will have to be removed from our yard to make room for the new pole.

As it turns out, we have a disagreement at our house about the presumed new pole.  Jane doesn't want it.  She thinks it will be too imposing, and she doesn't like the color.  I do want it.  It will be more stable than the old pole, so it's less likely we will lose power in a storm.  Also, if it really is higher, the top, with the power lines, will be more invisible, because it will be above the trees.  And speaking of which, FPL will not butcher our poinciana to keep it away from the lines.  The new height will obviate the need for butchery.

I would have preferred buried lines, but the Commission at the time a discount was offered to bury the lines wasn't interested.  But higher lines is a good enough second choice.  There is, however, a slight complication.  The old poles don't come out the day the new poles go in.  To be more precise, they don't come out the day the new poles are wired.  The reason is that the old poles carry more than FPL lines.  They carry ATT lines, and Comcast lines.  So someone decided the old poles could not come out until ATT and Comcast move their lines to the new poles.  The problem is that it isn't clear what would motivate them to move their lines, and we're not forcing them.  I view this as a significant problem.  It costs ATT and Comcast trouble and money to move their lines, and it may not be clear to them that it's worth it.  Or why it is.  We could have forced the issue by telling ATT and Comcast on what day the old poles are coming out, and they're welcome to move their lines before that day if they don't want to lose them, but for some reason, the Commission didn't decide to be that assertive.  They just said they'd like the lines moved by a certain number of days or weeks after the new poles are installed, but they didn't provide an incentive or a consequence if the lines weren't moved.  So I hope I'm not stuck with two poles for who knows how long.  The old pole isn't bad, and the new one will be better, but I definitely don't want both.  We have some double poles already, I think, but I don't know of any old poles that have been removed yet.  Once the new poles are in, the old ones really need to come out.

I have a friend who paints really nice tromps-l'oeil.  I wonder if FPL would let me hire her to paint up the new pole, so it looks like vines or trees or something.  I'll have to ask them.

No comments:

Post a Comment